Bombardier Q400 planes

Old Jan 3, 17, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Just flew one on Luxair from CDG-LUX

Classy looking livery too
Old Jan 3, 17, 8:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Plat, and a bunch of other stuff I guess
+1 to the Q400 being far better than the CRJ200 - particularly for those of us north of 6 feet. UA does have 737 and Airbus service year round to SFO now, but ironically you'll have less legroom than on the Q. The seats themselves don't recline, and are starting to look a little ragged compared to the rest of AS, but at least your knees won't be in your nostrils.

Also, somewhat apropos to this thread - EUG is still no PDX but it has expanded and improved lately: http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...tions.html.csp
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:13 pm

Programs: Uh...all of them...um...any of them...
Originally Posted by metaldirtnskin View Post
+1 to the Q400 being far better than the CRJ200 - particularly for those of us north of 6 feet. UA does have 737 and Airbus service year round to SFO now, but ironically you'll have less legroom than on the Q. The seats themselves don't recline, and are starting to look a little ragged compared to the rest of AS, but at least your knees won't be in your nostrils.

Also, somewhat apropos to this thread - EUG is still no PDX but it has expanded and improved lately: http://registerguard.com/rg/news/loc...tions.html.csp
I love how the whole thing still looks like it's 25 years old even though it's a new renovation. But it wouldn't be Eugene any other way. :P Too bad they couldn't get something better than that awful coffee shop on the upper level though.
Old Jan 3, 17, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
I hate prop based planes and would do anything to avoid them. I prefer larger aircrafts for a few reasons - mainly due to comfort and less bumps.

Not having been on one before, I am wondering in all honesty, what are they like? Of course - nothing like experiencing it yourself however I want to ask members here what their thoughts are?

I am around 1 hour from Seattle where this type of aircraft is always used. I don't want to have to get to another airport, which is 3 hours away just to have a 30 minute plane journey into Seattle on a large jet aircraft. Seems silly to do so or even fly out to another city and then fly into Seattle.

thoughts? I am a bit of a nervous flier but pretty good overall. I just hate the small prop planes...seems too loud to me and small thus you can feel every bump
DEBUNK MODE = ON

1) Prop planes are not necessarily "more turbulent" than jet aircraft. The number that's important is weight divided by wing area (called wing loading). The Q400s wing loading while is a little less (hence it takes less force to disrupt it), than B737 or E175 isn't 1/2 or 1/3, it's closer to 75%

2) "Not having been on one before", "I hate prop based planes". These are mutually exclusive statements. You really shouldn't knock it. It's nothing like a 1950-60s technology prop plane like the old Metroliner III. (old Horizon people will remember the not quite stand up cabin - ugh)

The Q400 is fine, in fact it's great. it's a 76 seater optimized for short 90-120 minute flights. Grab the last row of coach (they load front and back) it's a little quieter, and you'll be 1st off. You'll step off wondering why you were so concerned. Oh, and enjoy the #freebeerplane
Old Jan 3, 17, 11:19 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
I've done a few flights on the Q400 from SEA to YEG and YYC, as well as other shorter runs.

My complaints about the QX 400's is not from the plane itself, but the generally crappy condition they are on Horizon compared to say AC. I've taken the AC YEG-YYC route a few times and was always a pleasant experience. New. No rattles. Decent lav. Seats which did not give me a backache after 30 minutes.

For me, I cannot wait to get rid of them all, not because its a prop-jet, but the overall condition of the fleet I've experienced.
Old Jan 4, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
My complaints about the QX 400's is not from the plane itself, but the generally crappy condition they are on Horizon compared to say AC. [...]

For me, I cannot wait to get rid of them all, not because its a prop-jet, but the overall condition of the fleet I've experienced.
Why would that help? If the problem is with AS not taking proper care of them (their interior), why would you think replacing them with something else (E75?) would make a difference in the mid- to long-term?
Old Jan 4, 17, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by char777 View Post
I love how the whole thing still looks like it's 25 years old even though it's a new renovation. But it wouldn't be Eugene any other way. :P Too bad they couldn't get something better than that awful coffee shop on the upper level though.
The article says the coffee shop now offers hot food (but they had for a while so ) but I never go up there because I'm almost always on the lower B gates for the Q400. The concessionaire has changed in the last year or so so maybe it's improved?

One pet peeve with 1B on the Q400 is that the footroom, at least to me psychologically, is a little cramped with the FA sitting right in front of you. Especially if they're in the seat for the entire flight.
Old Jan 5, 17, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ba exec silver
Alright folks.
I took the journey today. It was in the afternoon so that worked well (time of day, wind/temperature).

I made it. I survived. I kissed the floor when we landed. J/K

must admit, the staff/crew were really good! Polite, smiley and took care of people properly instead of it being a "job".

The plane was as expected, loud, noisy and vibrated a lot but... it was ok. Not too bad I guess. The scenery was beautiful though.
Old Jan 5, 17, 8:46 pm

Programs: Uh...all of them...um...any of them...
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Alright folks.
I took the journey today. It was in the afternoon so that worked well (time of day, wind/temperature).

I made it. I survived. I kissed the floor when we landed. J/K

must admit, the staff/crew were really good! Polite, smiley and took care of people properly instead of it being a "job".

The plane was as expected, loud, noisy and vibrated a lot but... it was ok. Not too bad I guess. The scenery was beautiful though.
Glad to hear it turned out well!
Old Jan 7, 17, 8:36 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10 View Post
Just flew one on Luxair from CDG-LUX

Classy looking livery too
While it's a nice livery, I definitely prefer their old school livery, they had into the early 00s, but it's definitely better than the previous livery (Eurowhite with a azure tail and Luxair written on the side).
Old Jan 7, 17, 9:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG Hilton Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Crystal Society Diamond
Not a fan of the little birds

There are several issues for me with what I call AS "put-put" planes. The seats are uncomfortable after an hour. The FAs tend to read their book, kindle whatever during the first hour or all of the flight. The FAs look exhausted most of the time. Maybe it is all the up and down?

The planes themselves seem to handle the weather ok but in a PDX wind storm it is a scary adventure to land in the Q400. Turbulence feels out of control inside the little plane. The movement was side to side and up and down at the same time. I can not imagine long flight. Try flying from PDX to Omaha on one of these? Yikes I avoid them except from PDX-SEA or reverse. They "feel" easier for the tiny flights. I don't know if it is the ala cart or that the time for landing is shorter due to altitude. They are fine for up to an hour and half in good weather.
Old Jan 7, 17, 10:58 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Why would that help? If the problem is with AS not taking proper care of them (their interior), why would you think replacing them with something else (E75?) would make a difference in the mid- to long-term?
As Delta has shown with their Embrarer fleet , at least you can have working wifi, power at the seats, proper lavs with running water and bigger overheads, which I've never seen on any Q400 from QX.
Old Jan 8, 17, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by ptownca View Post
As Delta has shown with their Embrarer fleet , at least you can have working wifi, power at the seats, proper lavs with running water and bigger overheads, which I've never seen on any Q400 from QX.
So Air Canada has all that on their Q400s? Since you compared the condition of the AS Q400s to AC's in the post I replied to...
Old Jan 8, 17, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
So Air Canada has all that on their Q400s? Since you compared the condition of the AS Q400s to AC's in the post I replied to...
Not my point, which was:

1. AS/Horizon could do a much better job on interior maintenance/upkeep cleanliness, which would make using these in the fleet more tolerable for short haul routes. The AC Q400s I've been on have better seats and were sparkling clean with much less noise/rattles. Mind you WS flies 737's on the same route, so there is some competition.

2. Switching to the mini jets should give all the bennies I talked about.
Old Jan 8, 17, 9:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by ijkh View Post
I can not imagine long flight. Try flying from PDX to Omaha on one of these?
Not only the long flight but the two fuel stops you would need to make if you tried to go PDX-OMA in a Q400!

Search this Thread