Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How to i know where to make a stopover? Im so confused! Help please

How to i know where to make a stopover? Im so confused! Help please

Old Oct 11, 16, 7:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
How to i know where to make a stopover? Im so confused! Help please

I recently just learned (well i've been hearing about it) about stopovers and open jaws. Now i know exactly what stopovers are but not to sure about open jaws. I understand that i can use Alaska to book a multi city ticket to book a flight from JFK - CDG - AMS (i know, terrible idea, thanks to British airways nidicolous fees).I have a grasp on the whole Europe region thing but what i dont get is why i can't book a flight from JFK - LAS - OGG. WHY? How do i find out where i can book a stopover between? Is there some sort of a miles restriction?
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 16, 9:21 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,656
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
I recently just learned (well i've been hearing about it) about stopovers and open jaws. Now i know exactly what stopovers are but not to sure about open jaws. I understand that i can use Alaska to book a multi city ticket to book a flight from JFK - CDG - AMS (i know, terrible idea, thanks to British airways nidicolous fees).I have a grasp on the whole Europe region thing but what i dont get is why i can't book a flight from JFK - LAS - OGG. WHY? How do i find out where i can book a stopover between? Is there some sort of a miles restriction?
Generally speaking, the stopover has to be in a partner or AS hub. The only possible airlines to fly on JFK-LAS are AA and DL. LAS is not a hub for AA, DL or AS.

There are several possibilities for a JFK-LAS-OGG routing:

AA or DL JFK-LAS-LAX-OGG
DL JFK-LAS//AS or DL LAS-SEA-OGG
DL JFK-LAS//AS LAS-PDX// AS or DL PDX-SEA-OGG
AA JFK-LAS//AS LAS-SEA//AA LAX-SEA/DFW/ORD-OGG

It's possible there's no award availability either? Have you checked segment by segment? The important parts might be the USA-OGG segments.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 11, 16 at 9:27 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 4:23 am
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
Generally speaking, the stopover has to be in a partner or AS hub. The only possible airlines to fly on JFK-LAS are AA and DL. LAS is not a hub for AA, DL or AS.

There are several possibilities for a JFK-LAS-OGG routing:

AA or DL JFK-LAS-LAX-OGG
DL JFK-LAS//AS or DL LAS-SEA-OGG
DL JFK-LAS//AS LAS-PDX// AS or DL PDX-SEA-OGG
AA JFK-LAS//AS LAS-SEA//AA LAX-SEA/DFW/ORD-OGG

It's possible there's no award availability either? Have you checked segment by segment? The important parts might be the USA-OGG segments.
Well i dont think you understand what I'm trying to say. I actually got the answer i was looking for. I read that Alaska doesn't allow stopovers on Domestic itineraries but otherwise, they allow 1-2 stopovers (basically 1 stopover per 1 way) and 1 open jaw on international itineraries. So i can book JFK - DXB - HKG with no problem but can't book JFK - MIA - ORD. Basically, it has to be in a different region.
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 8:39 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG
Posts: 18,094
Yes that would be the problem. AS only allows stop-overs on AS metal awards and International awards.
CDKing is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 9:08 am
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,656
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
Basically, it has to be in a different region.
I agree. I don't understand. Hawaii is in a different region than the continental USA. You can see this in the award chart (Hawaii prices are higher in miles). But it certainly isn't international. So which is it?

Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
Yes that would be the problem. AS only allows stop-overs on AS metal awards and International awards.
In theory that means JFK-SEA-LAS(stop)-PDX-OGG would work, since that itinerary can be flown entirely on AS, with no backtracking through a connection.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 12, 16 at 9:13 am
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 3:52 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
I agree. I don't understand. Hawaii is in a different region than the continental USA. You can see this in the award chart (Hawaii prices are higher in miles). But it certainly isn't international. So which is it?



In theory that means JFK-SEA-LAS(stop)-PDX-OGG would work, since that itinerary can be flown entirely on AS, with no backtracking through a connection.
Cant do that...There's only 4 spots for flights. So it'll have to be JFK - SEA - SEA - LAS on Alaska. Basically, what I'm saying is that when you click multi city on Alaskaair's websites, you only have 4 spots to enter flights. You can't put JFK - SEA - LAS - PDX - OGG into 4 spots. It won't allow you to book it that way. You can only do JFK - SEA - SEA - LAS which is kind of a waste of time because i dont want to go to SEA anyway.

Last edited by Membersince2013; Oct 12, 16 at 4:03 pm
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 5:45 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SEA, but up and down the coast a lot
Programs: OneSky Alliance Elite+ with Zirconium and oak leaf cluster, Braniff Unobtainium
Posts: 18,656
Originally Posted by Membersince2013 View Post
Cant do that...There's only 4 spots for flights. So it'll have to be JFK - SEA - SEA - LAS on Alaska. Basically, what I'm saying is that when you click multi city on Alaskaair's websites, you only have 4 spots to enter flights. You can't put JFK - SEA - LAS - PDX - OGG into 4 spots. It won't allow you to book it that way. You can only do JFK - SEA - SEA - LAS which is kind of a waste of time because i dont want to go to SEA anyway.
You can book AS award flights over the phone that are not bookable via the web. JFK-SEA-LAS-PDX-OGG would be a possible routing that can be done entirely on AS. I have routed multistop on an AS award. It might be an interesting test case: all-AS itinerary, intra-regional, but not outside the United States.

(Routings from Alaska that have to route through ANC and SEA can also take more than what would be allowed on the website: imagine availability on OTZ-ANC-SEA/PDX-SAN-MCO, without availability on SEA-MCO that allows you to eliminate the SEA-SAN segment. Certainly a legitimate award, entirely on AS, assuming that in fact you can have stopovers anywhere if it's all AS.)

Up to you to decide if the roundabout routing is worth getting the free stopover.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 12, 16 at 5:52 pm
eponymous_coward is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 6:45 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
You can book AS award flights over the phone that are not bookable via the web. JFK-SEA-LAS-PDX-OGG would be a possible routing that can be done entirely on AS. I have routed multistop on an AS award. It might be an interesting test case: all-AS itinerary, intra-regional, but not outside the United States.

(Routings from Alaska that have to route through ANC and SEA can also take more than what would be allowed on the website: imagine availability on OTZ-ANC-SEA/PDX-SAN-MCO, without availability on SEA-MCO that allows you to eliminate the SEA-SAN segment. Certainly a legitimate award, entirely on AS, assuming that in fact you can have stopovers anywhere if it's all AS.)

Up to you to decide if the roundabout routing is worth getting the free stopover.
Interesting...I'll call Alaska right now to see if that combo is possible with a stopover at LAS. I hope you're right! Im actually not trying to book anything right now. I already have an upcoming trip to Europe in a couple of days. I just want to be clear that i can do all the route combos i have in mind. Imagine if one can do JFK - CDG -stopover- CDG to FCO -openjaw- AMS - BCN -stopover- BCN - JFK. That would be great. Seems doable too. At least i know the first part is doable. Don't know about the open jaw.
Membersince2013 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 16, 6:54 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Programs: Delta, Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott, Hyatt
Posts: 672
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward View Post
You can book AS award flights over the phone that are not bookable via the web. JFK-SEA-LAS-PDX-OGG would be a possible routing that can be done entirely on AS. I have routed multistop on an AS award. It might be an interesting test case: all-AS itinerary, intra-regional, but not outside the United States.

(Routings from Alaska that have to route through ANC and SEA can also take more than what would be allowed on the website: imagine availability on OTZ-ANC-SEA/PDX-SAN-MCO, without availability on SEA-MCO that allows you to eliminate the SEA-SAN segment. Certainly a legitimate award, entirely on AS, assuming that in fact you can have stopovers anywhere if it's all AS.)

Up to you to decide if the roundabout routing is worth getting the free stopover.
I called Alaska and apparently its not possible to book the flight combination you mentioned on an award itinerary but you can book it on a paid itinerary.
Membersince2013 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: