Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Update: Preferred Plus Seating Policy Perks Taken Away and then returned

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Update: Preferred Plus Seating Policy Perks Taken Away and then returned

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2016, 4:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, VA Platinum, HA Platinum, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I agree customers should get what was published at the time they paid for the service product.

I had a similar issue with ANA. I specifically bought ANA coach seats due to 8 abreast seating on the 787 and the corresponding seat width.
Then they introduced premium economy and changed economy to 9 abreast. I was not notified and happened to notice the equipment change before I checked in. I complained and asked for Premium Economy, the next class of product that meets or exceeds what I paid for. Of course I was denied and told I got the "class of service" I paid for...

Magically overnight I was upgraded to Premium Economy (maybe my Star Gold status helped to op up me?).

So, I have a personal issue with the advertised specs of the product being changed after you purchase the product.

I think Alaska needs to proactively notify every customer who has purchased Preferred Plus on an upcoming flight, notify them of the change in the product, and offer them a refund.
Unfortunately, the policy had been updated online at the time she purchased the seat upgrade. She had only checked out the policy last month when she had booked the flight and that was her plan when it was time to do online check in and snatch any remaining preferred plus seat. Even though technically the terms were changed, the Customer Care agent agreed that it was misleading and not right to change something and not have the update included in the newsletter or any other form of public notification. It also helped that the policy with priority boarding and drink had been around for over a year since May 2015 that people associated purchasing a preferred plus seat with getting priority boarding and drink. I know that the airline reserves the right to change these policies at any time without any notice etc. But what I have loved about Alaska is the customer service and sense that the airline really tries to look after their flyers. If this was another airline that I won't mention, I highly doubt any compensation would have been given.

Its just not right to make a press release about something being added or expanded, but when something is going to be taken away..... crickets.....

Press Release from May 2015
Customers who like a little extra legroom now have more choices when flying Alaska Airlines, with the launch of Preferred Plus seating. Starting today, the bulkhead and exit row seats will be available to all customers for paid upgrades after Mileage Plan MVP, MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75k members have had an opportunity to reserve them.

Preferred Plus upgrades begin at $15 plus tax, and include a complimentary cocktail or glass of wine or beer, up to eight inches of extra legroom and priority boarding. Upgrades for rows 6, 16 and 17 can be purchased within 24 hours before check-in at www.alaskaair.com, through the Alaska Airlines mobile apps and at the airport, when available. Previously, only Mileage Plan elite-level customers had access to reserve these seats. Upgrades for elites are, and will continue to be, complimentary from the time of booking through departure.

“At Alaska, we’re all about making the travel experience better for our customers,” said Sangita Woerner, Alaska’s vice president of marketing. “As someone who always appreciates more flexibility and choices when traveling, I know Preferred Plus seating will be a welcome addition for our customers.”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.