Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Aircraft Change Removed Me From First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft Change Removed Me From First Class

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by philemer
So if I use GGUs to u/g into F today (739 w/12 FC seats) and next week a group of 12 people decide to buy FC tix they'll bump us? Cash tix rule & we drool?
Correct. Just happened to us on SEA-OGG. Downgraded at Gate and told it was because we used GGU whiles others paid so we were first to be downgraded. And apparently new standard comp for that is only $100 + reinstatement of GGU. 2 managers told me that before a Social Media mgr finally offered more reasonable amount. Still, really seems to devalue GGU.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by mikelat
Correct. Just happened to us on SEA-OGG. Downgraded at Gate and told it was because we used GGU whiles others paid so we were first to be downgraded. And apparently new standard comp for that is only $100 + reinstatement of GGU. 2 managers told me that before a Social Media mgr finally offered more reasonable amount. Still, really seems to devalue GGU.
This just gets better. Downgraded from a confirmed F seat after you (probably) paid extra to use the GGU's. Did they refund the difference?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Have you been scr***wed out of FC by a change to the new Premier configuration

I arrived at PDX to fly to HNL after purchasing 2 FC tickets (not upgraded). I had checked in the night before and printed boarding passes for our originally selected seats in row 2. In the morning I noticed a "middle of the night" email telling me that our upgrades had cleared. I thought that odd since I had purchased FC and din't require upgrade. It didn't occur to me that I might have been "checked out."

When I arrived at the gate, a bit late, but still during ordinary boarding, the gate agent told me that I didn't have those seats. They had given them away. When I asked further, she said that I hadn't checked in, so they gave away our seats. I replied, that I had checked in, otherwise, how could I have boarding passes. They did get us on the plane but in middle seats in economy. When I inquired with flight attendants, they told me that there was a plane substitution and the new configuration had fewer FC seats.

My mother was on the flight on a different reservation, and her seat was preserved even though I purchased economy and used a gold upgrade to place her in first.

I wrote to customer service and asked for a refund for the difference between FC and coach, but I suspect if I had checked online in the morning, I could have rechecked myself in and avoided the mess.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
You want this thread over here ---> http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...t-class-6.html
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Also this one: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...rade-comp.html

Neil
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikel51
I arrived at PDX to fly to HNL after purchasing 2 FC tickets (not upgraded). I had checked in the night before and printed boarding passes for our originally selected seats in row 2. In the morning I noticed a "middle of the night" email telling me that our upgrades had cleared. I thought that odd since I had purchased FC and din't require upgrade. It didn't occur to me that I might have been "checked out."

When I arrived at the gate, a bit late, but still during ordinary boarding, the gate agent told me that I didn't have those seats. They had given them away. When I asked further, she said that I hadn't checked in, so they gave away our seats. I replied, that I had checked in, otherwise, how could I have boarding passes. They did get us on the plane but in middle seats in economy. When I inquired with flight attendants, they told me that there was a plane substitution and the new configuration had fewer FC seats.

My mother was on the flight on a different reservation, and her seat was preserved even though I purchased economy and used a gold upgrade to place her in first.

I wrote to customer service and asked for a refund for the difference between FC and coach, but I suspect if I had checked online in the morning, I could have rechecked myself in and avoided the mess.
Yeah, sorry this happened to you....kinda old news now as you'll see when you check out the threads that already exist on this very topic.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by mikel51
Sounds like fairly poor handling of the situation on this one. I hope you get back not only the fare difference but also a customer service token such as a flight credit.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Sounds like fairly poor handling of the situation on this one. I hope you get back not only the fare difference but also a customer service token such as a flight credit.
This is one issue I have with the customer service discount codes I have received in the past. Issue always with something in F. (Paid, not upgraded)
These codes can only be used for Y fares , not F.
AS says they are working on being able to apply some of these to F fares.....
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:12 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by pcoll
This is one issue I have with the customer service discount codes I have received in the past. Issue always with something in F. (Paid, not upgraded)
These codes can only be used for Y fares , not F.
AS says they are working on being able to apply some of these to F fares.....
Those discount codes should be able to be used for a Full F fare, just not discounted F
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This whole thread makes me nervous, especially since I have two AS flights in two weeks where I'm confirmed in F, but the F cabin is 100% sold out on AS.com....gulp.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

How many rows of F are there on your planes? 3 or 4? If it's 3, don't worry. If it's 4? Cause for some concern.

Neil
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
How many rows of F are there on your planes? 3 or 4? If it's 3, don't worry. If it's 4? Cause for some concern.

Neil
One is a 900 and one is a 800.... Seat maps won't pull up anymore since F is sold out but I assume the 900 is 4 rows and the 800 is 3.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
The truly troublesome aspect here is that the OP said his paid-for-F seats to which he had checked in were row 2 seats. My understanding heretofore is that row 2 was a safe haven from aircraft swap. It should not have been a factor.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by dave1013
The truly troublesome aspect here is that the OP said his paid-for-F seats to which he had checked in were row 2 seats. My understanding heretofore is that row 2 was a safe haven from aircraft swap. It should not have been a factor.
it seems like in this case that the OLCI wasn't effective, and that the reservation got canceled because the check in deadline wasn't met (OP mentions he arrived during boarding which is inside the T-45 cutoff for check in). he says the FA mentioned a possible aircraft swap, and while we all love our FAs we know they can sometimes not have the whole story straight.

now, how AS.com produced boarding passes for a reservation that wasn't actually checked in, is a mystery and a real potential problem.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
it seems like in this case that the OLCI wasn't effective, and that the reservation got canceled because the check in deadline wasn't met (OP mentions he arrived during boarding which is inside the T-45 cutoff for check in). he says the FA mentioned a possible aircraft swap, and while we all love our FAs we know they can sometimes not have the whole story straight.

now, how AS.com produced boarding passes for a reservation that wasn't actually checked in, is a mystery and a real potential problem.
I fully believe they were properly checked in and fully checked in. The problem happened when there was something that kicked in some kind of an upgrade. Could this be a problem in the system where even on a paid for F ticket there was some kind of flag for a PC upgrade and that cleared unchecking them in? Was there reservation made before there were checkboxes to NOT want a PC upgrade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.