Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-on Size Changing?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Carry-on Size Changing?

I was at PDX today in the four-gate Seattle shuttle area. The bag sizer was not the normal Alaska 24x17x10. It was the more common 22x14x9, but it did have the new Alaska logo and colors. The bag I was using is slightly too long for the 22 inch sizers, but fits with room to spare in the Alaska sizers (I only use this bag for AS flights now; my conforming bag has a loose handle).

I checked the web and 24x17x10 is still the published carry-on limit. Has anyone heard rumblings of a change?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:26 pm

They haven't really enforced the sizing unless its a very obvious case of abuse I saw once or twice. I wouldn't worry too much about it even if its changing?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
AS did invest in the bigger overhead bins so would be odd for them to change the bag size, especially since they aren't the only one with the generous dimensions. I wonder if it's because the skywest operated planes have a smaller overhead bin than the spacebin's going on the Boeing's?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
I always Check my bag. I feel like, Why bother carrying it when letting them deal with it is a status benefit
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
AS did invest in the bigger overhead bins so would be odd for them to change the bag size, especially since they aren't the only one with the generous dimensions. I wonder if it's because the skywest operated planes have a smaller overhead bin than the spacebin's going on the Boeing's?
That could be. No A La Carte service for the E175's coming online.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel
That could be. No A La Carte service for the E175's coming online.
Please explain "A La Carte service". The link you gave describes the exact same policy I'm familiar with from AA (I've never yet flow Alaska's RJs, only AA's), except I'm not sure if AA specifies "5 minutes". So was it different before?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please explain "A La Carte service". The link you gave describes the exact same policy I'm familiar with from AA (I've never yet flow Alaska's RJs, only AA's), except I'm not sure if AA specifies "5 minutes". So was it different before?
A La Carte Is What they call the service on Alaska's (Horizon) small aircraft that allows you to leave your bag on the Tarmac and it's brought back for you after the flight. Not the same as Gate Checking on mainline flights but similar to what you've probably seen folks do with a Childs car seat in the jet Bridge. This Program only applies to the small aircraft like CRJ / Q400 / ERJ ( if boarding from Tarmac ) AFAIK
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by makfan
I was at PDX today in the four-gate Seattle shuttle area. The bag sizer was not the normal Alaska 24x17x10. It was the more common 22x14x9, but it did have the new Alaska logo and colors.

Has anyone heard rumblings of a change?
While I was boarding a 737-900 from LAX to SEA this evening, they made an announcement that Alaska is changing their sizing standards in the coming months, and asserting that "most of the bags in line this evening won't fit in the new sizer".

It was strange. And vague. And maybe even a wee bit worrisome.

I thought they said I could find more information online, but I haven't managed to find anything.

Last edited by sblom; Oct 6, 2016 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:55 pm

I'm all for this if it means that bags that are actually far too large get gate checked. This would speed up boarding and deboarding, and free up space for bags that are actually the right size.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
So has anyone else spotted a smaller sizer at airports other than PDX?
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
So has anyone else spotted a smaller sizer at airports other than PDX?
Yes. LAX gate 69A.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 2:59 pm

Programs: AS
Yes, recently noticed these at gates in the following airports.

SLC, SEA and LAX. SEA gates N2 and N3 Lax gates 66 and 68. We have seen them last few weeks at TSA lines at SEA. Did not any enforcement of the new smaller sizers.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
I wonder whether Alaska both plans to shrink the size of carry-on bags and charge for them like Frontier and Spirit.
Old Oct 7, 2016, 5:58 pm

But would this apply to F passengers, where there's more room per person?

(Of course, not counting when coach passengers stuff their bags in the F cabin -- the FA's seldom take action!)
Old Oct 7, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Hmm. Alaska, while still lagging behind the competition to race to the bottom but seem they are making progress..... Too bad.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.