Wiki Posts
Search

Removed SAN from HI routings?!?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Removed SAN from HI routings?!?

Was trying to book some flights to KOA today and noticed that AS has recently removed SAN from the legal routings to the islands from most cities east of the rockies?! Now fares from all the cities I check look like the following:

XXX-SEA-PDX-SEA-OAK/SFO/SJC/SMF-KOA

Which means you can fly through literally any OTHER city that has service to KOA but not SAN! Anybody with insight into this change? Is a huge bummer for at least two reasons:

1) Upgrades from SAN tend to be pretty easy, and
2) For us SAN-locals, the forced overnight required by the early morning departure was a nice way to get a stopover at home.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Erasmus
Was trying to book some flights to KOA today and noticed that AS has recently removed SAN from the legal routings to the islands from most cities east of the rockies?! Now fares from all the cities I check look like the following:

XXX-SEA-PDX-SEA-OAK/SFO/SJC/SMF-KOA

Which means you can fly through literally any OTHER city that has service to KOA but not SAN! Anybody with insight into this change? Is a huge bummer for at least two reasons:

1) Upgrades from SAN tend to be pretty easy, and
2) For us SAN-locals, the forced overnight required by the early morning departure was a nice way to get a stopover at home.
I would surmise that AS did the analysis (like any other business) and decided that it wasn't worth the dilution of revenue. SAN connection was often cheaper than any of the nonstops out of SEA.

You can always drop a note to AS customer service and let them know of your feelings on the change.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Did you try a multi-city routing with the flights you actually want to see how it prices?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by formeraa
I would surmise that AS did the analysis (like any other business) and decided that it wasn't worth the dilution of revenue. SAN connection was often cheaper than any of the nonstops out of SEA.
Sure, but unclear why that's any different than the other connecting cities? And I'm not interested in routes starting in SEA, but rather routes from other cities--which typically require a connection in either SEA or PDX--and then onward. Heck, even BOS, which is one stop to KOA through SAN, does not allow SAN anymore.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Did you try a multi-city routing with the flights you actually want to see how it prices?
Yup; that's how I discovered the new routing rules.

Last edited by Erasmus; Aug 12, 2016 at 5:28 pm
Old Aug 12, 2016, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by formeraa
It could just as easily have been a mistake. It's been known to happen.

I remember a big one several years back where CO did a cleanup on routing rules and inadvertently removed EWR from a lot of places that would have made sense (e.g., SFO-EWR-DCA). Once they got wind of it, they fixed it.

Sometimes a mass change has unintended consequences. I can understand them wanting to remove SAN from PNW routings to the Islands, but not East Coast where it's actually logical (e.g., BWI-SAN-KOA).
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:05 pm

FWIW, it's still showing up if you search from BOS. Routings through SEA tend to be cheaper, though.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Dates? I see BOS-SAN-KOA or BOS-SAN-OGG on 9/2, both with overnights in SAN.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Dates? I see BOS-SAN-KOA or BOS-SAN-OGG on 9/2, both with overnights in SAN.
It will sell you it, but it's breaking the fare.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i am surprised that SAN doesn't remain a legal routing for at least BOS and MCO to the Islands
Old Aug 13, 2016, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
i am surprised that SAN doesn't remain a legal routing for at least BOS and MCO to the Islands
I wonder if its because there are no same day connections from the east coast except through SEA?

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 13, 2016 at 10:07 am
Old Aug 13, 2016, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
I wonder if its because there are no same day connections from the east coast except through SEA?
But then why leave SMF/SJC/OAK as valid options?
Old Aug 13, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
I'm moving to the Orlando area and also noticed the lack of SAN overnights on my trips to Hawai'i for work. I guess this means I'll be on American
Old Aug 13, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by Erasmus
But then why leave SMF/SJC/OAK as valid options?
just because something is listed as a valid routing option doesn't mean you can actually buy a ticket on it in practice. for instance, i would challenge you to find an AS ticket that includes a connection in SMF en route to KOA.

AA still lists STL as a valid connecting point on many of its fares, but in reality you'll never see a ticket offered that includes it, and i'm not sure one could even be constructed.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
just because something is listed as a valid routing option doesn't mean you can actually buy a ticket on it in practice. for instance, i would challenge you to find an AS ticket that includes a connection in SMF en route to KOA.

SMF is tough in this scenario because there is no nonstop SMF-KOA. OGG-SMF-PDX-ATL is the least expensive in $ and miles routing (and reasonably efficient) on a flight I am researching for next summer. I did book an OGG-SAN-SEA-ATL connection using AAdvantage last week.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:44 pm

AA still lists STL as a valid connecting point on many of its fares, but in reality you'll never see a ticket offered that includes it, and i'm not sure one could even be constructed.
Believe it or not, if you look up routes for ORD-DFW you will get an option to connect in STL, among other midwestern cities like XNA and MCI. I've never tried to book it, but it is offered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.