Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SDC then getting on upgrade list

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

SDC then getting on upgrade list

I had a really difficult time getting on the upgrade list after a SDC...any tips/advice?

I called 75k line two times, both reps assured me i was on the list even though it did not show my name on the upgrade list. Being the skeptic i am, i confirmed w/gate agent at airport, i was not on any list.

Like most SDC-ers, i write off the upgrade as it is very rare to get an upgrade this late in the game; however, i was upgraded this morning at the gate.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...t-ug-list.html

as a 75k your chances of getting upgraded after SDC are infinitely better than a lowly gold or MVP

it's a horrendously annoying problem that IMO should be a priority fix for AS IT, but they're dabbling around with other useless things
Old Aug 9, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
That's one of the reasons I don't use SDC...especially if I'm confirmed in F already.....it's not worth it to me to lose a F seat or even a good one in Y for a middle in the back in order to get home a few hours earlier.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
That's one of the reasons I don't use SDC...especially if I'm confirmed in F already.....it's not worth it to me to lose a F seat or even a good one in Y for a middle in the back in order to get home a few hours earlier.
Different priorities for different people and situations.

Fwiw I've never not gotten a row 6 or 17 seat when doing SDC, but I only have done on a couple of routes. Ymmv.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:19 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
If I do SDC, especially if I've been upgraded on my original flight, it means:
A) I travel a ton for work. And I finished my stuff early on this trip. All I want to do is go home early. I'll sit in the middle give me vodka and get me home!
2) I'm gonna miss my flight. And I'd rather accept that than get to the airport and panic.
3) the 6 am flight home was $99. The 2 pm was $259. If I couldn't get SDC, I was gonna live with 6 am. But I'm cheap. And if I have to fly in back, sometimes it's a choice.

Love Alaska!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Reminds me of a time I SDC'd to stand-by on an earlier flight. I was first on the stand-by list, and just before boarding started, they paged me up to the gate. The conversation:
Agent (nervously): So we have 1 seat left, but it's in the middle, last row
Me: Great, I'll take it!
Agent (much more jovial): Ah, some people aren't interested at all
Me: I'll get home 2 hours earlier. Works for me.
After boarding and settling in for 90 minutes of compression, they came back and handed me a re-assignment to 17A exit row window.

PDXPremier -- thanks for leaving these seats available for me.
Old Aug 13, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
I always got screwed on the upgrade list when I did SDCs, but last week I was upgraded when the flight was changed to an Irreops flight (with flight 9XXX flight number). So must be an IT thing that made me feel lucky that day!
Old May 14, 2019, 5:43 pm

Apologies for dragging up this old thread as I'm sure my question is covered elsewhere, but I'm curious if others are still experiencing issues with either a) SDC and not being added to the U/G list, or b) re-ticket and not being added to the U/G list. I'm 75k. A few examples:

Monday, 5/13, LIH-SEA-ANC: LIH-SEA delayed by 2 hours, knew in advance I'd miss my SEA-ANC connection. Helpful phone agent re-ticketed me for a later SEA-ANC flight. Assured me I was on the U/G list for my new SEA-ANC (had already been upgraded on my original SEA-ANC). Hung up, refreshed the app several times, no name on list. Called new agent, she said I was not on the list, couldn't explain why but assured me she had added me and I was #1 with 3 unsold seats, so it was looking good. Name still did not appear on the list, but I trusted her. Arrive in SEA 6 hrs later, connecting flight is boarding (brisk dash from C to N...a real treat with no C train), get to the gate and notice three others were upgraded, but not me. Quickly pop over to the counter. Counter agent is annoyed that I'm even asking since she's already upgraded everyone eligible, but says she will add me anyway. Confirms I was not on the list but I'm now #1 . Can't say for sure, but I'm pretty confident I missed out on an U/G here. She all but confirmed that with the awkward look on her face.

Similar issue a few weeks ago, re-ticket SFO-SEA-ANC for SFO-PDX-ANC one day earlier. Same scenario as above, 4 were upgraded SFO-PDX (but not me). I managed to arrive in PDX early enough to snag an U/G by speaking with the counter agent before they cleared others "behind" me. Counter agent can't explain what happened. Next customer.

And a few weeks before that, SDC on SNA-SEA-ANC. Moved my departure up a few hours, not on list (despite confirmation that I was by phone agent). No upgrade SNA-SEA for anyone, so didn't think twice. Arrive in SEA, counter agent adds me, but it's too late as he has already cleared others. He can't explain what happened. Next customer.

Look, I don't care all that much about the upgrades, it's the screwy process (or lack thereof?) that irritates me. And the way that the counter agents give me the eyes that say "look, don't ask about the U/G list, that's why we publish it on the app and the screen behind me." I get why they are annoyed with people who are #48 on the list inquiring, but this is a bit different.

TLDR: I think the U/G system is [still] broken for SDC and and re-issued tickets and it sucks. So, how do I get on the U/G list prior to arriving at the departure airport or connecting airport as it seems only counter agents can do this?
Old May 14, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: SPG - Lifetime Plat, AS - MVPG75K
75k, did a SDC on Sunday night for Monday afternoon SEA - LAX. Didn't see name on upgrade list on app or website. Called MVPG reservation line, and they assured me I was showing first on the list (T fare) with three available seats. Was upgraded about two hours before the flight. So it was working, just not showing.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sea2lax
So it was working, just not showing.
While I'm glad for you, I think I'm now even more frustrated/confused as it adds to the "no rhyme or reason" theory...
Old May 14, 2019, 7:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LuckyDenver
While I'm glad for you, I think I'm now even more frustrated/confused as it adds to the "no rhyme or reason" theory...
Yet another data point! I did a SDC to earlier flights originating from an international departure giving up my upgrade to do so. I received the upgrade email for the new onward flight when it had already gone to gate control. Having been upgraded, I didn't pay attention to see if I was on the upgrade list or not.

James
Old May 15, 2019, 11:44 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
So whats the recommended fix? Call, have yourself removed and then re-added? I may be dealing with a couple of flights like this over the next few weeks.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: AS 75k, B6 Mosaic
I have a lot of experience with this exact issue.

My recommended fix: Check in again, a few minutes after performing SDC.

I’ve done this in about 3 or 4 instances where I suddenly went missing from the upgrade list after SDC. Checking in again seems to restore things on the backend.

Good luck!
Old May 16, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by mikeysf
Check in again, a few minutes after performing SDC.
This did not work for me on my last trip (award travel). After SDC, neither call with MVP line nor (re)checking-in on app produced any results. MVP line assured me I was on the list, but did not show up on app until I went to the gate and specifically asked there. Ended up missing the upgrade, but in the future, if I'm not on the list in the app, I will make sure I check in at the counter or be at the gate when agents start working the flight.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I too have been concerned about not showing up on the wait list immediately after doing a Same Day Change.

I've been told there is a delay (perhaps an hour) after the SDC before the information system refreshes and your name appears on the upgrade wait-list. And that has worked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.