Trumped on the wl 75k full fare

Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Trumped on the wl 75k full fare

I just bought a full fare ticket (no f available). I just noticed one person is above me on the f wait list? I'm assuming they are in the same situation and bought their ticket before me? I've noticed at a 75k that on most all my last minute travel I'm stuck in coach. Today looks like 29F. At least I managed to snag the last non middle seat :/
Old Jul 29, 2016, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ades-work.html

Fare bucket has no bearing on placement in the Alaska Airlines upgrade list. It's purely based on time of add to the upgrade list and your status (75ks first, MVPG and MVP together second).

Neil
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:06 am

Programs: UA1K
wow even i had no idea about that.

so my LAX-DCA flight in december i bought in march means i'm probably pretty high on the list.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Ahhhh ok. I learn something new everyday! I have to say I love Alaska, but they are not big on taking care of last minute higher revenue elites. Not a game changer. Three hours in Coach isn't the end of the world.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:30 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
"I have to say I love Alaska, but they are not big on taking care of last minute higher revenue elites."

On the flip side it means they don't discriminate against you when you book a low-cost fare for vacation. To quote a travel blogger "I am not my fare".

Neil
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80
"I have to say I love Alaska, but they are not big on taking care of last minute higher revenue elites."

On the flip side it means they don't discriminate against you when you book a low-cost fare for vacation. To quote a travel blogger "I am not my fare".

Neil
+1....this is what I love about the Alaska Airlines program....I'm almost never going to book a high priced last minute fare so I love the fact that my low fare ticket booked months in-advance doesn't put me out of the running for the upgrade.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

I agree fully, but I'm thinking there is not a lot of 75k members who book last minute given Alaskas generous policies. Also most upgrades are cleared before the last minute pax buys their ticket.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ryan754
I agree fully, but I'm thinking there is not a lot of 75k members who book last minute given Alaskas generous policies. Also most upgrades are cleared before the last minute pax buys their ticket.
Very true.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:16 pm
formerly known as felinaar

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
As others have said, fare class has no bearing on upgrade priority. It depends solely on status and the time of request (usually when you booked).

This is a negative for last-minute travelers but is very powerful when combined with Alaska's generous change/cancellation rules and best fare guarantee.

There is no reason to wait for a cheaper flight. Book now and secure a spot at the top of the upgrade list. If the fare goes down you can get a credit for the difference in price. If you request a fare difference, you'll also need to request that you be re-added to the upgrade list. So your spot will change. But if the price never goes down, then you not only locked in the lowest price but still have a very high position.

Furthermore, if you aren't even sure you'll travel, book now. Anyone can change or cancel a flight 60 days before departure and get the full value back to use for a future flight. MVP Gold and 75K members can change or cancel any time before departure and get the full value back to use for a future flight. Assuming you will spend that money with Alaska Airlines at some point and can float the cost, you can book lots of speculative trips to secure a high spot on the upgrade list. Cancel the ones you don't want and use the credit for another flight.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
Waitlist priority is a zero-sum game; one person's gain is by definition another's loss. It's tricky, but I generally like the way AS's priorities work. I do wish that getting a credit for a price drop didn't cause you to lose your spot in line, though.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I thought off the subject that Trumps plane broke down and he had to fly AS and got upgraded
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:31 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
I thought off the subject that Trumps plane broke down and he had to fly AS and got upgraded
The polenta is going to be yuuuuge!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ryan754
I agree fully, but I'm thinking there is not a lot of 75k members who book last minute given Alaskas generous policies.
Business travel is my leading cause of booking <1 month out. I'd guess that's a common theme among other late bookings.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:38 pm

Hi -

Also, 75Ks get processed first at the gate for that last-second seat.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by missamo80

Neil
But the real issue is whether a MVPG 75K on a higher fare should trump an MVPG 75K on a lower fare on the waitlist for THIS flight. Assuming that both MVPG 75's are worth roughly the same value to the airline, it seems that a higher fare should trump the lower fare.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.