Search

Connecting in SAN on PVR-PDX?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Connecting in SAN on PVR-PDX?

This Fall I'm flying on the AS "direct" flight from PVR-PDX which makes a stop in SAN. While SAN is one of my least favorite AS cities (as far as lousy airport terminals go), my guess is that it's a lot easier with respect to international arrivals/customs compared to LAX/SFO.

From those who have done a similar connection from Mexico, is it relatively quick and easy in SAN? I'm expecting to get dumped off at another terminal and then make the trek to the cramped and claustrophobic AS terminal. Hopefully I'll have Global Entry by then which should make it even faster. On the way to PVR, I'm connecting in LAX which I actually prefer since it has a great BR, but LAX international arrivals is typical a bigger hassle for the return so hopefully SAN will be a breeze
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This Fall I'm flying on the AS "direct" flight from PVR-PDX which makes a stop in SAN. While SAN is one of my least favorite AS cities (as far as lousy airport terminals go), my guess is that it's a lot easier with respect to international arrivals/customs compared to LAX/SFO.

From those who have done a similar connection from Mexico, is it relatively quick and easy in SAN? I'm expecting to get dumped off at another terminal and then make the trek to the cramped and claustrophobic AS terminal. Hopefully I'll have Global Entry by then which should make it even faster. On the way to PVR, I'm connecting in LAX which I actually prefer since it has a great BR, but LAX international arrivals is typical a bigger hassle for the return so hopefully SAN will be a breeze
I was from plane to curb in 10 minutes with Global Entry. Easy walk to the AS terminal, but there was to Elite/Pre line open at that hour. I did get a slip for Pre-lite, but still had to stand in a line that almost reached the doors.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Super easy.

SAN doesn't get that many international flights so there will likely be not much of a line. They have several self-serve kiosks for Passport control.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by johnp012001
I was from plane to curb in 10 minutes with Global Entry. Easy walk to the AS terminal, but there was to Elite/Pre line open at that hour. I did get a slip for Pre-lite, but still had to stand in a line that almost reached the doors.
Interesting....my guess is a lot of the passengers from the Mexico flights are connecting on to SEA/PDX flights. I noticed the layover time in SAN is 90 min. Do they typically hold flights to make sure all the through passengers have boarded?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Interesting....my guess is a lot of the passengers from the Mexico flights are connecting on to SEA/PDX flights. I noticed the layover time in SAN is 90 min. Do they typically hold flights to make sure all the through passengers have boarded?
I sure hope they do; I do a SAN connection both ways (SEA-SAN-SJD and SJD-SAN-SEA) over Labor Day weekend.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:16 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
It's been a long time since I last went to Mexico, but IIRC, the aircraft, as well as the passengers, have to clear customs.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:30 pm
rlb

Programs: Alaska Airlines
SAN is our favorite entry point- small- quick entry to main terminal -
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
We have done it several times, with global entry you scream through at SAN as few pure leisure travelers seem to have it and the go back to wait for the PDX departure. But last spring and again today just booked for January on the PDX/PVR non-stop. It gets in two hours later going down but leaves at a more hospitable hour about 10am vs. 6:30. Coming back it leaves about 30 mins later than the SAN flight but is in PDX about 5 hours later, way earlier than the connection. Why not take that flight (it does only run for days a week).
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rlb
SAN is our favorite entry point- small- quick entry to main terminal -
+1 it will be really easy.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 9:57 pm

I've been through San 4 times and on two occasions we had a brief wait for connecting passengers. I think the schedule is padded, or burned some extra fuel, as both were still on time into Pdx. The non stop is great, but often much more expensive, though now that I have global entry I'll probably try a little harder for the non stop on the way home, and the departure time on the way down is much more humane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.