Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Award Availability Becoming More Restricted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Has anyone noticed as every year goes by, award availability becomes more scarce? I've noticed this subtly with other award programs, but Alaskas once abundant array of lowest award availability (especially on weekends...and with partners) is almost non-existent. I book 11 months in advance and now I'm seeing some routes with nothing released at all.

In particular, I was unable to book ANY Hawaii flights in March 2017 (and had no issues for 3 years in a row). And check out this story...I was booking award flights and checking all LA airports from Seattle for next March. I've been following the availability for weeks...there's been a lot available (even weekends) for almost all airports (LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT). I was waiting for a points refund, booked my flights on Thursday, checked again on Saturday (since I may need to change the return date later on) and now there's NOTHING! They've pulled all the Delta flights SEA-SNA, no more FRI-MON Alaska flight availability. All just gone! These are not flights that filled up...they pulled them after they'd been sitting available for weeks! Anyone see this happen before? Anyone noticing availability dwindling for regular routes you normally have no trouble redeeming?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by pokee
They've pulled all the Delta flights SEA-SNA, no more FRI-MON Alaska flight availability. All just gone! These are not flights that filled up...they pulled them after they'd been sitting available for weeks! Anyone see this happen before? Anyone noticing availability dwindling for regular routes you normally have no trouble redeeming?
At least when it comes to the flights on DL metal, your gripe is with DL, not AS. DL controls what inventory gets released to AS.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Hopefully its a shortterm adjustment to projected demand and not a longlasting trend
Old Jul 11, 2016, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Not really, but I don't redeem SEA-SoCal. It has never struck me as a high value redemption compared to a cash ticket and using miles for USA-Europe or Asia.

I added a SEA-SJD leg to an award not too long ago... but I tend to not draw much conclusive proof out of a single anecdote.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG
lack of AS saver inventory

I've noticed a lack of AS saver inventory in the past 6 months or so when searching for flights ex-ANC. Most recent searches have been for ANC-DEN and ANC-DTW in October...not exactly peak time. Interestingly, saver partner awards, primarily Delta, are often available when only 20K or higher flights are showing up for AS metal. The few times AS saver flights are available, it is the crappiest times with the longest layovers.

I used to have good experience getting AS metal saver awards 2-6 months out for non-peak travel on most routes ex-ANC. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by meej
I've noticed a lack of AS saver inventory in the past 6 months or so when searching for flights ex-ANC. Most recent searches have been for ANC-DEN and ANC-DTW in October...not exactly peak time. Interestingly, saver partner awards, primarily Delta, are often available when only 20K or higher flights are showing up for AS metal. The few times AS saver flights are available, it is the crappiest times with the longest layovers.

I used to have good experience getting AS metal saver awards 2-6 months out for non-peak travel on most routes ex-ANC. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
Yeah, they're definitely changing the way they release awards. For example, they used to release saver inventory for almost all BLI/HNL or SEA/HNL as soon as all inventory was released. Not the case for spring 2016 or 2017. Hardly any weekends were released, and when they were, it was only from PDX or SJC.

And there's definitely a relationship between saver partner awards and AS award availability. Just this past weekend when AS pulled all of their weekend saver awards for March to LA area airports from SEA - POOF - all the Delta flights went bye-bye, too. I was so lucky to get mine booked on Thursday before they did that.

I also used to be able to get a pretty large inventory of both AS and partner awards from SEA-ATL - not this year. It was slim pickins for one ticket 9 months out. Then 4 months in advance I went to see if I could change my ticket coming home - nothing.

I guess it's the nature of the beast...more people booking award tickets and less award seats being released...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Try and get a J fare to or from OZ, best of luck.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Limewood
Just last week I booked QF J MEL-LAX for 01/2017. I go to Australia twice a year using QF or CX on Mileage Plan miles, in premium cabins. Guess I'm lucky.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Mr_Tudball
Just last week I booked QF J MEL-LAX for 01/2017. I go to Australia twice a year using QF or CX on Mileage Plan miles, in premium cabins. Guess I'm lucky.
Since you have so much Oz experience and luck, I'm sure that there are many here who would benefit from your counsel and guidance.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 12:20 pm

Planes are full, so probably fewer award seats to start. Then, miles are everywhere. Flying isn't even the way to earn them anymore. With more competition for fewer award seats, yeah, I'm not surprised it's been harder to find space. It's not to say there's nothing out there, but my perception is that it's less. I mostly travel internationally off-peak since I don't want to be there when its crowded, so that's worked out.

That said, international fares have been a great bargain lately. Enough that I'd buy a coach ticket before redeeming miles for the same seat. So I'm just hoarding for premium cabins, and I'm sure a devaluation will wipe me out just before I'm ready to book - much like the Emirates awards.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Limewood
I got two J tickets to BNE and back about 4 months in advance. First try, and within 2 days either way of my desired dates. It wasn't on QF, but the KE product was fine, particularly the 3Ugli80 LAX-ICN.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone noticed as every year goes by, award availability becomes more scarce? I've noticed this subtly with other award programs, but Alaskas once abundant array of lowest award availability (especially on weekends...and with partners) is almost non-existent. I book 11 months in advance and now I'm seeing some routes with nothing released at all.

In particular, I was unable to book ANY Hawaii flights in March 2017 (and had no issues for 3 years in a row). And check out this story...I was booking award flights and checking all LA airports from Seattle for next March. I've been following the availability for weeks...there's been a lot available (even weekends) for almost all airports (LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT). I was waiting for a points refund, booked my flights on Thursday, checked again on Saturday (since I may need to change the return date later on) and now there's NOTHING! They've pulled all the Delta flights SEA-SNA, no more FRI-MON Alaska flight availability. All just gone! These are not flights that filled up...they pulled them after they'd been sitting available for weeks! Anyone see this happen before? Anyone noticing availability dwindling for regular routes you normally have no trouble redeeming?
Just an update - ALL flight availability that disappeared last week, re-appeared this week! WEIRD!!!! But good to know - keep checking because you never know!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
And check out this story...I was booking award flights and checking all LA airports from Seattle for next March. I've been following the availability for weeks...there's been a lot available (even weekends) for almost all airports (LAX, BUR, SNA, ONT). I was waiting for a points refund, booked my flights on Thursday, checked again on Saturday (since I may need to change the return date later on) and now there's NOTHING! They've pulled all the Delta flights SEA-SNA, no more FRI-MON Alaska flight availability.
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
At least when it comes to the flights on DL metal, your gripe is with DL, not AS. DL controls what inventory gets released to AS.
Have you found low-bucket award availability on delta.com that isn't offered on alaskaair.com? There certainly are SEA-SNA non-stops on Delta as saver awards in March. Not every day (as one looks today), but that really isn't the promise of saver awards.

Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, the SEA-SNA Delta flight availability for saver is showing on the AS website fine, they just pulled all the weekend/Monday/Friday saver availability from March 11th onward a week ago. The AS flights returned, but the Delta saver availability never did....
Old Jul 20, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
It appears that AS does have much more availability than AA. Looking at LAX - Hawaii in May / June, the only award flights that are showing on AA are the AS flights flying LAX-SEA-Hawaii.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.