Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

15K short to MVPG - Mileage run suggestions?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

15K short to MVPG - Mileage run suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Y'know, it was only $50 more for K but the seatmap in F is completely empty (one seat gone) and not a soul in rows 6 or 17. So I figured my chances were pretty good for a comp u/g. Now you have me rethinking. Should I refare and burn a cert?

And strangely, even the shorty segments are mainline. If I use a cert, does it cover all the segments? I am used to Q400's so not sure how upgrading multiple segments work.

ANC shows up as an allowable connection when I search. Until today I thought who in their right mind would fly to ANC on the way to HNL? Guess that pretty much confirms that I am not in my right mind.
If there is U space on all your flights, I would say it's worth a cert...since your ANC flight is via PDX and not SEA (nonstop), you're comp upgrade chances are much better, but still, as long as you don't have any stopovers longer than 4 hours, one upgrade cert will cover this entire trip which seems like an amazing deal to me! As for ANC being allowable as a connection point, I guess I need to clarify what I mean by "allowable"....I mean it that it counts as trip that doesn't break the fare (in order words, "create" a fare by charging you the PDX-ANC fare added to a ANC-HNL fare). I've seen ANC show up as a connection point when searching for HNL flights, but it's obvious that the reservation system is simply charging you for two separate trips and combining them into one price which isn't really what I consider a valid connection point. AS does this for the SAN-BOS flights....if you go PDX-SAN-BOS, you're going to pay for the PDX-SAN fare added to the SAN-BOS fare....annoying from a MR perspective. Thankfully, connections in SEA don't usually cost much more.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
If there is U space on all your flights, I would say it's worth a cert...since your ANC flight is via PDX and not SEA (nonstop), you're comp upgrade chances are much better, but still, as long as you don't have any stopovers longer than 4 hours, one upgrade cert will cover this entire trip which seems like an amazing deal to me! As for ANC being allowable as a connection point, I guess I need to clarify what I mean by "allowable"....I mean it that it counts as trip that doesn't break the fare (in order words, "create" a fare by charging you the PDX-ANC fare added to a ANC-HNL fare). I've seen ANC show up as a connection point when searching for HNL flights, but it's obvious that the reservation system is simply charging you for two separate trips and combining them into one price which isn't really what I consider a valid connection point. AS does this for the SAN-BOS flights....if you go PDX-SAN-BOS, you're going to pay for the PDX-SAN fare added to the SAN-BOS fare....annoying from a MR perspective. Thankfully, connections in SEA don't usually cost much more.
Alright, you convinced me. I'll upfare the outbound to K and burn a cert. I have one orphan cert left so this seems like as good a use as any.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Finkface
Alright, you convinced me. I'll upfare the outbound to K and burn a cert. I have one orphan cert left so this seems like as good a use as any.
Do all 4 segments have U space?
Old Jul 1, 2016, 10:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Do all 4 segments have U space?
3 of the 4 do. The SEA-PDX is on a Q400 so no F cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.