Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

International Arrival Flow @ Seatac and option to re-check bags

Old Jun 28, 16, 7:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I have an Eva flight (BR 26) arriving into SEA @ 19:30 in October. I will stay at the HILTON SEATTLE AIRPORT & CONFERENCE CENTER after arriving that evening for a night and they fly out on AS's 6:50am flight (AS 238) to SAN the next morning.

This will be my first time ever arriving internationally into SEA. According to the Port of Seattle website:
Passengers then can recheck their bags and either proceed through security screening for connecting flights, or transport via subway to the Main Terminal Baggage Claim to collect their bags.
What do they mean by "bags being transported via subway"? Aren't the carousels located the CBP facility? Are they implying at some point of the arrival flow, pax have to take a train, bags are re-deposited at a point where it will reappear at a 2nd carousel landside????

Anyhow after exiting into landside, can I go upstairs to re-check my bag at the AS counters and get the BP for the SAN the following day? I prefer to just have my carryon with me for the one night at the Hilton. That way the next morning I can just proceed through security and to the gate. The AS website states check-in can be done up to 24 hours prior to departure. A 19:30 arrival and 6:50 departure the following morning is way below the 24 hour maximum. But does not specifically state if the 24 hour only applies for online check-in and/or same day.

I highly doubt BR will allow my bags to be tagged all the way to SAN where I can just drop it off with AS after CBP. Though I'm sure BR and AS have interline agreements. This is because I'm traveling on two tickets, (award J ticket with BR & paid ticket with AS) and the connection isn't a same day one.

Also is 19:30 a busy time at Seatac for international arrival?

Instead of taking the airport shuttle to the Hilton, is it possible for me to just walk from the terminal, cut through the parking structure, cross the street and into the hotel? Is that an easy thing to do? I am especially keen to do that if I can pre-check my bag with AS. Given that it is way past 8pm by the time I am landside, I'm not too sure of the shuttle frequency and don't mind getting some exercise and fresh air after a 11-hour flight.
Old Jun 28, 16, 7:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP gold
When you go through Border patrol and customs, there are baggage carousels where you pick up your checked luggage. You can leave with the luggage from there, but will take a short train ride, less than three minutes to the main terminal to exit.

To get the Hilton, I usually walk to the light rail station, which has an overpass over the busy road and puts you right next to the Hilton. Go to the parking garage and follow the light rail signs.
Old Jun 28, 16, 7:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
To your question about the Hilton, yes, it is absolutely something you can walk to. Follow the signs to the Link light rail station, use the skybridge to cross Highway 99/International Blvd. and then go down the elevator. The Hilton will be right there. It's easy to do and I've done it several times in reverse.

Neil
Old Jun 28, 16, 7:33 pm

On the hotel issue: follow the signs to light rail. Take the elevator from the mezzanine level of light rail to street level, cross the street south, and you're at the Hilton.
Old Jun 28, 16, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by StarFeat View Post
What do they mean by "bags being transported via subway"? Aren't the carousels located the CBP facility? Are they implying at some point of the arrival flow, pax have to take a train, bags are re-deposited at a point where it will reappear at a 2nd carousel landside????
BR will park at the South Satellite; you will go thru CBP and collect your bags there ... unless your immediate connection is also on the S gates (a moot point, since you aren't departing until the following morning), you then have to take the subway to the main terminal as there are no exits to landside from the satellite
... after exiting into landside, can I go upstairs to re-check my bag at the AS counters and get the BP for the SAN the following day? ... The AS website states check-in can be done up to 24 hours prior to departure. ...I highly doubt BR will allow my bags to be tagged all the way to SAN where I can just drop it off with AS after CBP.
whether BR checks your baggage thru to SAN is irrelevant, since you have to claim it for CBP purposes at SEA ... I highly doubt that AS will accept baggage 10 hours ahead of departure

that said, you can always avail yourself of Ken's Baggage Service by the main baggage claim carousels ... see discussion in this thread
Also is 19:30 a busy time at Seatac for international arrival?
no
Instead of taking the airport shuttle to the Hilton, is it possible for me to just walk from the terminal, cut through the parking structure, cross the street and into the hotel?
sort of ... you can walk through the parking structure to the light rail terminal, cross the skybridge over International Blvd, and then proceed to the hotel ... maybe 10 minutes, depending on how energetic you are

the hotel shuttle will probably be operating at ~10-15-min intervals in the early evening
Old Jun 29, 16, 12:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Anyhow after exiting into landside, can I go upstairs to re-check my bag at the AS counters and get the BP for the SAN the following day? I prefer to just have my carryon with me for the one night at the Hilton. That way the next morning I can just proceed through security and to the gate. The AS website states check-in can be done up to 24 hours prior to departure.
24 hours prior is for web check in only, not for baggage check in. AS's normal baggage check-in is four hours, HOWEVER they also say they will transfer between flights to final destination for connections up to 12 hours.

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
whether BR checks your baggage thru to SAN is irrelevant, since you have to claim it for CBP purposes at SEA ... I highly doubt that AS will accept baggage 10 hours ahead of departure
I haven't rechecked in SEA, but another post suggests it may be possible (minus getting your AS BP from BR;you'll have to print it in advance or use the app on your phone) and BR does interline with AS according to their website:

Seeking clarification for one of my kids who's doing an international to domestic connection with a 10+ hour layover...

Inbound on DL156, arriving 08:15 from NRT

Connects to DL9149 (codeshare, AS510), departing 18:45 to SNA

Wants to recheck her bags to SNA immediately after clearing customs so she can spend the day sightseeing in the city.

It's not clear to me where she rechecks her bags after arrival.

Also, where and when to check in for onward flight.

Thx for your help!

She should be able to check herself and her bag all the way through to SNA in NRT and get her SNA boarding pass. Just after she gets past the customs officer in SEA there is a bag recheck belt. She will have to show her BP, drop her bag on the belt and then can take the train to the main terminal.

If they won't check her all the way through to SNA then just after the customs officer she needs to drop her bag onto the arriving passengers belt, take the train to the main terminal, reclaim her bag and go upstairs to ticketing to get her BP and re-check her bag.
Old Jun 29, 16, 12:18 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Awesome responses! Many thanks!
Originally Posted by Ktowngirl View Post
When you go through Border patrol and customs, there are baggage carousels where you pick up your checked luggage. You can leave with the luggage from there, but will take a short train ride, less than three minutes to the main terminal to exit.
Here is another excerpt from the airport page I found:
The best place to meet arriving international passengers is either at the escalator between carousels 7 and 8 on the Baggage Claim level where international travelers come up to Baggage Claim, or at Carousel 1 where they pick up their checked luggage.
So does this mean between the CBP exit and the train, there is a bag dropoff station for those that prefer not to carry it on the train and re-claim them at Carousel 1 landside?

sort of ... you can walk through the parking structure to the light rail terminal, cross the skybridge over International Blvd, and then proceed to the hotel ... maybe 10 minutes, depending on how energetic you are
I found this
.At 6:55, a skybridge can be seen. Is this from the parking structure where one crosses to the light rail terminal to access the skybridge to cross the boulevard?
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
24 hours prior is for web check in only, not for baggage check in. AS's normal baggage check-in is four hours, HOWEVER they also say they will transfer between flights to final destination for connections up to 12 hours.
Bingo! I guess I will rely on the baggage service mentioned earlier and looks like they do provide overnight storage. I will definitely walk to the Hilton provided there are no heavy downpours that day.
Old Jun 29, 16, 1:07 pm

Just for OP's reference -- after you clear CBP at the S terminal, follow the transit/transfer sign, for bag drop area, there is an Alaska transit counter and they can print your BP and tag your bag. I would suggest asking BR to tag your bag all the way to SAN. I've done so before even though two legs were on different ticket, BR agents at TPE are very helpful.
Old Jun 29, 16, 1:09 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
that said, you can always avail yourself of Ken's Baggage Service by the main baggage claim carousels
Ken's opens at 5:30 am, so if you choose to do this (and it's a great service), you should have plenty of time to go upstairs, check your bag if that's your plan, and proceed past security.

the hotel shuttle will probably be operating at ~10-15-min intervals in the early evening
The Hilton shuttle runs automatically, on a 20-minute headway, except in the very wee hours. No need to call the hotel unless you get in at say, 2 a.m.

Last edited by dave1013; Jun 29, 16 at 5:17 pm
Old Jun 29, 16, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
So does this mean between the CBP exit and the train, there is a bag dropoff station for those that prefer not to carry it on the train and re-claim them at Carousel 1 landside?
One time I saw a lot of EVA passengers collecting luggage from carousel 1, so yes that might be true (I've only observed this once, while I was collecting luggage from a domestic flight at carousel 2). They all seemed to be exiting from a subway further down the terminal, which I assume is from the train.

These are just my observations, take them with a few pinches of salt.
Old Jun 29, 16, 3:09 pm

Awesome responses! Many thanks!

I found this
.At 6:55, a skybridge can be seen. Is this from the parking structure where one crosses to the light rail terminal to access the skybridge to cross the boulevard?

Bingo! I guess I will rely on the baggage service mentioned earlier and looks like they do provide overnight storage. I will definitely walk to the Hilton provided there are no heavy downpours that day.
It's simple.

You get off the plane.
You go through immigration.
You pick up your bag at CBP.
You walk through CBP.
You then can either just toss your bag on the conveyer (takes about 10 seconds)
OR
You can take your bag on the train to the main terminal to you.

If you opt to not take your bag on the train with you, you simply proceed to the main terminal, stroll over to baggage claim no 1 and your bag will be there.

It's just a convenient way for people not to drag 50 bags on a tiny train for a 3 minute ride.

Search this Thread