Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In Flight Internet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

In Flight Internet

So I haven't flown a full pre-purchased F fare in awhile with AS. Usually getting into F has been from paid check in upgrades. Looking on AS's web site (to see if they had different F class perks/service between the Boeings and the E175s) I noticed that they advertise "Inflight Wifi" on the "Experience First Class" page. This isn't an included service, is it? I thought internet had to be purchased. I'm a little surprised they're advertising it like a F perk when they don't mention anywhere on that experience first class page that it's an additional price. It's like all of a sudden if they listed on the F page that you had premium food and beverages but then didn't say that you have to buy all of it...

Has something changed, or always been different on a non-upgrade F fare, or is it just crappy advertising on AS's part?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Inflight internet isn't free for Y or F...although even if it was free, I'm still not sure it's worth it since it's so painfully slow. Every time I try to use the "free" AS website inflight, I'm reminded why I would never consider paying for access to the rest of the internet....still, people pay for the lousy service so I guess they're more patient than I would be or they enjoy watching the spinning circles while waiting for a page to load
Old Jun 17, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Yeah Gogo is slow on AS flights. Hoping that the new system helps with the speed. Not worth paying for unless you already had a monthly plan.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Inflight internet isn't free for Y or F...although even if it was free, I'm still not sure it's worth it since it's so painfully slow. Every time I try to use the "free" AS website inflight, I'm reminded why I would
Plus, you don't have to pay to use certain messaging services in flight, like Snapchat
Old Jun 17, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

That's why I thought they may have tossed it in as free for first class people.... guess they're just trying to trump up their F product for the unknowing
Old Jun 17, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Anyone else had an issue with having the gogo annual pass and it still forcing you to buy a flight pass?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Inflight internet isn't free for Y or F...although even if it was free, I'm still not sure it's worth it since it's so painfully slow. Every time I try to use the "free" AS website inflight, I'm reminded why I would never consider paying for access to the rest of the internet....still, people pay for the lousy service so I guess they're more patient than I would be or they enjoy watching the spinning circles while waiting for a page to load
And now imagine the speed if it actually was free and everyone tried to use it...

I consider air travel quiet time. I honestly don't mind being disconnected for a few hours.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
And now imagine the speed if it actually was free and everyone tried to use it...

I consider air travel quiet time. I honestly don't mind being disconnected for a few hours.
Well F has what, 12 seats or 16 seats max? That wouldn't be too bad, and I'm sure not everyone would make use of it. I like to use it to check out stuff for where I'm going, get an idea on traffic conditions or restaurants, that kinda stuff.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by acarney
Well F has what, 12 seats or 16 seats max? That wouldn't be too bad
Well, the post I replied to talked about Y and F. Do get your point, though, that you'd restrict free Wifi to F. I also agree with your concern that AS' website is somewhat misleading.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...nfo-firstClass

If I didn't know any better, I would indeed interpret this the way you did. AS should at least add an asterisk with a foot note "fees apply for WiFi access" to it.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by acarney
That's why I thought they may have tossed it in as free for first class people.... guess they're just trying to trump up their F product for the unknowing
Can you point to the web page(s) you think are misleading?

I'm looking at a page - Experience First Class - that describes wifi as available. As should be understood by any American who has bought a new car in the last ~30 years, available means you pay for it, not that the feature is there at no extra cost.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...xperience.aspx
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Use http://m.alaskaair.com instead of their full site, works for the information I am trying to find when accessing.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Can you point to the web page(s) you think are misleading?

I'm looking at a page - Experience First Class - that describes wifi as available. As should be understood by any American who has bought a new car in the last ~30 years, available means you pay for it, not that the feature is there at no extra cost.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...xperience.aspx
It's still a crappy way to list it after listing a couple included items unique to F, the extra room and food options. Further, it does imply that some FLIGHTS in their fleet it might not be available, making it seem like there is a hard technical reason, like equipment hasn't been upgraded, etc.

Like I said, I hadn't checked the F page in a long time and hadn't flown a non-upgraded F in forever. Thought it might have been added in since the service isn't very good to begin with and honestly would be a rather cheap addition for AS to offer.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 1:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
There is one 734 out there that's a dark plane.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I used Gogo for the first time ever yesterday, taking advantage of T Mobile's free hour per flight. Was fine for checking email and such, however ... a bit frustrating that apps were trying to download updates, which I had to cancel manually.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ncorman
Use http://m.alaskaair.com instead of their full site, works for the information I am trying to find when accessing.
There's a reason the full site is so terrible on the free wifi: it's trying to load scripts and ad trackers on sites that aren't whitelisted, so every single page load hangs until those requests time out. (You might see "waiting for maxymiser.com" messages or the like in your browser.) Block the two or three sites that hang, and all of a sudden the full site is usable again.

m.alaskaair.com is still faster overall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.