Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by gdam22
Have found it increasingly hard to get any sort of award flight to Asia with JAL via Alaska. Almost getting as bad as Qantas.
I just booked CGK-NRT-LAX in J/F a few days ago via AS.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by gpeso8
I just booked CGK-NRT-LAX in J/F a few days ago via AS.
Still possible, for sure, but much harder to find and for whatever reason they cut the Premium Economy award out all together.

I'm wondering when they will finally announce the Seattle route.(was rumored back in April, but haven't heard anything new).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by gdam22
Have found it increasingly hard to get any sort of award flight to Asia with JAL via Alaska. Almost getting as bad as Qantas.
JAL premium cabin award availability is nowhere near as bad as Qantas although Qantas awards on AS are also handicapped by AS either blocking availability or having IT bugs that cause no availability to show. In June JAL introduced variable award pricing (for business and maybe economy awards but not F) and as part of this change I have noticed that they reduced the number of business awards they made available at saver levels at schedule open from 4J to 2J awards per flight. They still do release awards on a regular schedule at schedule open but because they cut the number of J saver level awards in half they go much quicker and those looking to book premium cabin awards for a family of more than 2 are going to have a much tougher time with their best chance being to find a flight with F and book 2F plus 2J. If you can book inside 15 days close in award availability is still quite good on JAL, Qantas - not so much.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:57 pm

Programs: NH, JL, SQ
is anyone else having trouble booking at schedule open? the calendar view shows it as available, but when i click through on the date it throws an error on the website..

EDIT: well reading back through the thread its apparent i'm not the only one

Last edited by merridius; Sep 22, 2018 at 9:38 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by merridius
is anyone else having trouble booking at schedule open? the calendar view shows it as available, but when i click through on the date it throws an error on the website..

EDIT: well reading back through the thread its apparent i'm not the only one
If the schedule view shows it available and you cannot get it to show when you select it probably you are searching first for a specific day first and then looking at the end of schedule calendar. This does not work. What does work is to do an advanced search from the start. From the home page booking tab select "All search options" then select "Award calendar" for your mileage search and you should be able to select end of schedule flights on the calendar that comes up there.

This was posted by someone else a while ago. Sorry but I can't remember who.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
If the schedule view shows it available and you cannot get it to show when you select it probably you are searching first for a specific day first and then looking at the end of schedule calendar. This does not work. What does work is to do an advanced search from the start. From the home page booking tab select "All search options" then select "Award calendar" for your mileage search and you should be able to select end of schedule flights on the calendar that comes up there.

This was posted by someone else a while ago. Sorry but I can't remember who.
thanks for the response! i tried it and it still threw me the same error. i did notice that the entire last week of the calendar seems to throw up the issue. i can see flights up the 08/14/19 OK, but trying to search anything beyond that throws an error. maybe i'll have better luck calling in
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:45 am

thanks for the response! i tried it and it still threw me the same error. i did notice that the entire last week of the calendar seems to throw up the issue. i can see flights up the 08/14/19 OK, but trying to search anything beyond that throws an error. maybe i'll have better luck calling in
What route are you looking for?
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Thumbs up

https://onemileatatime.com/japan-airlines-seattle/

Finally!
PABE and rustykettel like this.

Last edited by jimmychang; Sep 26, 2018 at 11:00 am
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:32 am

What route are you looking for?
i've been trying to search for TYO-SFO/ORD/LAX
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jimmychang
Also, the older angle flats on LAX-KIX, SAN/YVR-NRT are being replaced.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:30 am

So anything beyond T-325?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28610374-post235.html
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:13 pm

i've been trying to search for TYO-SFO/ORD/LAX
Wow. I see what you mean. AS has made this very difficult. Some flights are available but the calendar trick doesn't seem to work anymore. What happened when you called in? Were the res agents able to see the space? This could be an IT bug but I am skeptical. If you can see the space available vai BA/QF search and the agents claim not to directly see it I would ask for them to use their backup system (one of their Partner Desk agents claimed to have one and used it for me when their main system was acting up but had to get supervisor approval for) and if that doesn't work then I might try booking the flight and class of service you want on a different date that is available and calling in within 24 hours to try for a free date change to the date you want (having verified availability first) and if it doesn't work cancel within the 24 hour free cancellation period.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

....and if it doesn't work cancel within the 24 hour free cancellation period.
Don't forget the $12.50 partner booking fee per direction is NOT refundable for anybody.

James
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Also, the older angle flats on LAX-KIX, SAN/YVR-NRT are being replaced.
That's great news, too, especially as another option for J award bookings since, at least in my experience, the routes with Sky Suites were a bear to find availability on. Ended up doing NRT-SAN since every other search came back mixed cabin (such as to SFO and LAX) when we searched for J, but those angle flats...not a fan.

Two great pieces of news in one day.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by RaginPlainsman
That's great news, too, especially as another option for J award bookings since, at least in my experience, the routes with Sky Suites were a bear to find availability on. Ended up doing NRT-SAN since every other search came back mixed cabin (such as to SFO and LAX) when we searched for J, but those angle flats...not a fan.

Two great pieces of news in one day.
Y seats are supposed to be changed out for the SKY WIDER ones as well. Only downside is two Class cabins, no PE, on these routes (not sure about LAX-KIX since that was announced as changing prior).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.