Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by spark787
I'm curious if this would be a valid booking once redemption starts.

HKG-TPE with CX (Stopover) and then TPE-NRT-LAX with JAL
You can't combine two partner airlines on one award.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold

Nope...you're never allowed two partners on a one way.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

I'd probably do the HKG-TPE on CX as an Avios award (7.5k in coach, or just buy a cheap ticket), then use AS for the stretch home (and you could get a stop in NRT).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Limewood
Is it possible on one booking to go via Tokyo on JAL to Australia instead of 2 separate sectors?.
Its unknown at this time what regions will be included. Were still waiting to Australia to be added to AA awards. If OZ is included it will likely be one award. However these agreements are individually negotiated so anything is possible. Its not uncommon for only part of a partners network to be included. Example is EK which does not allow US-Australia award.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond

Unlikely since AS does not allow mix partner award unless it is KL and AF.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
I've found JL to be a bit stingier than CX in opening award space up front, but that is just anecdata, YMMV. Still a great partner.

QF search calendar is also a good way to look for OW airline availability.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
I've found JL to be a bit stingier than CX in opening award space up front, but that is just anecdata, YMMV. Still a great partner.

QF search calendar is also a good way to look for OW airline availability.
I got lucky earlier this year by waiting. Hope this continues (was within 10 days IIRC)
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HHonors Gold VIP, Marriott Rewards Gold
Has anyone had any luck in getting your AS MileagePlan number put in your reservation via the JL website or call center? Just made a booking today via the JL website and no pull down option for Alaska for frequent flyer information. I called the US call center and they tried twice and no help. The agent even asked if Alaska was a partner! I guess I'll have to send in my boarding passes for credit.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXFlyBoy
Has anyone had any luck in getting your AS MileagePlan number put in your reservation via the JL website or call center? Just made a booking today via the JL website and no pull down option for Alaska for frequent flyer information. I called the US call center and they tried twice and no help. The agent even asked if Alaska was a partner! I guess I'll have to send in my boarding passes for credit.
Just wait a few months. Its still in its infancy stages. It was barely just announced.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 10:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
Just wait a few months. Its still in its infancy stages. It was barely just announced.
Mileage Plan earning on JL doesn't begin until 6/29. Not too surprising that AS isn't available on the drop down prior to that date either.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:13 am

Non-discounted business class ticket earns only 100%, but discounted business class ticket earns 95%? That's truly bizzare and unattractive.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by savekenny
Non-discounted business class ticket earns only 100%, but discounted business class ticket earns 95%? That's truly bizzare and unattractive.
Discount business (I) earns 70%. Regular business (J, C, D, X) earns 125%.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Mileage Plan earning on JL doesn't begin until 6/29. Not too surprising that AS isn't available on the drop down prior to that date either.
Not sure if others noticed this, but was traveling back from LAS last night and read a nice article in the Beyond Magazine on Japan. At the end of the article, these exact words were written (bolding/italics mine):
Use Mileage Plan miles to visit Tokyo, Japan via new airline partner Japan Airlines, starting June 29, 2016...
'Use' is very different than 'Earn'. Clearly, this is a direct conflict with the website and have to assume it's a misprint? Lately, it seems that the PR/Communications department have been making errors.

Did anybody else notice or catch this?
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Originally Posted by rustykettel
Not sure if others noticed this, but was traveling back from LAS last night and read a nice article in the Beyond Magazine on Japan. At the end of the article, these exact words were written (bolding/italics mine):

Use Mileage Plan miles to visit Tokyo, Japan via new airline partner Japan Airlines, starting June 29, 2016...
'Use' is very different than 'Earn'. Clearly, this is a direct conflict with the website and have to assume it's a misprint? Lately, it seems that the PR/Communications department have been making errors.

Did anybody else notice or catch this?

It certainly looks like a PR/Communications error. If I recall correctly, there are usually gaps (typically spans of many months) between a new partner announcement, the ability to earn miles on the partner carrier, and finally being able to use miles for travel on the partner.

Currently the AS Japan Airlines web page does state "Earning on Japan Airlines: For flights taken on or after June 29, 2016 ... "

The same page also has a sidebar on the right, "Award travel on Japan Airlines: We will launch award travel on Japan Airlines later in 2016."

I am far more inclined to believe what's on the website rather than what is written in the glossy inflight magazine filled with advertorials.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm holding out hope its sooner than later. I currently have a CX award for October and since i just did CX F last month i need to try something different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.