Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I should have known there would be a under 50% earning fare. Also I guess Premium economy is cheaper than full Y. I was hoping for more than 100% for Premium economy. I guess other than redemptions ill just be using JAL for onward international bookings
Old May 11, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Discount Y and J - ouch!
Old May 11, 2016, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by CDKing
I should have known there would be a under 50% earning fare. Also I guess Premium economy is cheaper than full Y. I was hoping for more than 100% for Premium economy. I guess other than redemptions ill just be using JAL for onward international bookings
Does anyone have enough experience with JAL to know how often those discount I fares are offered? 70% would make me look at Korean Air over JAL.
Old May 11, 2016, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Having never flown on the 787, what is wrong with it? Is it the width?
It's a slanty flat seat -

Name:  Japan-Airlines-3.png
Views: 1059
Size:  570.4 KB

For westbound flights, where I try not to sleep besides a little nap, it's not a big deal, but I would definitely prefer a true lie-flat seat (like what is on their 777s).

I do believe that these seats are being replaced, albeit slowly.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
It looks similar to what QANTAS has in their LAX/SYD flights.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mrapollinax
It looks similar to what QANTAS has in their LAX/SYD flights.
LAX-SYD offers second generation Skybeds, which are completely lie-flat and available on all A380 and the reconfigured 747s.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I find that most of the fares that I would ever buy on international partners (typically mileage run type fares) earn less than 100% (which is lame) so that's basically why I look at this as a great option for award travel bookings while I always do better collecting EQMs and RDMs on AS metal flights. Trying to figure out how many miles you're going to earn on most partners is like trying to figure out the tax code...I have no time nor the desire to figure it out.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
LAX-SYD offers second generation Skybeds, which are completely lie-flat and available on all A380 and the reconfigured 747s.
Whew, That's what I figured. I have J on the refurbished 747 LAX-JFK. If it was angled id just save that leg for another day
Old May 11, 2016, 2:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Same here
Looks like AS is moving closer to OneWorld?
That was my initial reaction.

What a great set of partners (with few exceptions) AS has. JAL or CX to Asia is an amazing choice.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
It's a slanty flat seat -

Attachment 8768

For westbound flights, where I try not to sleep besides a little nap, it's not a big deal, but I would definitely prefer a true lie-flat seat (like what is on their 777s).

I do believe that these seats are being replaced, albeit slowly.
Yikes, not sure I could sleep in that thing
Old May 11, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Yikes, not sure I could sleep in that thing
I have read a couple recent trip reports where the new, truly lie-flat seats were installed, so maybe they're moving quickly on the installs.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thought about that.

Saw a few JL a/c arrive when on the beach near HNL last week ^
They really do have a lot of lift, going to a lot of cities in Japan, a lot more than ANA.

It's amazing how many JAL logos you'll see at HNL during prime time for the Asia flights.

-David
Old May 11, 2016, 8:35 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Hartmann
I have read a couple recent trip reports where the new, truly lie-flat seats were installed, so maybe they're moving quickly on the installs.
I have flown YVR-NRT on the 787 with the old J seat a bunch of times, and it's generally a miserable experience. These old J seats are flat-at-an-angle, and while most airlines had these in the early 2000s (think NW's WBC), it's a bit of a mystery why JL chose to install them on the 787. Even more of a mystery how they won a "Good Design Award" (as they proudly announce on the website); perhaps in the obsolete airline seating category. The food is fine, but not amazing, and the IFE has very limited non-Japanese selection. The only reasons that cause me to fly this route are better mileage availability and the occasional mistake fare or GDPF.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Originally Posted by jjka
Awesome! I'd expect JAL to jump into PDX-NRT when delta leaves now.
. I know DL has threatened to pull this route due to the Haneda mess, but didn't realize it was official. I still think 50% credit on DL is better than 30% on JAL.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Does JAL plan on keeping the 2-4-2 in Y on the 788?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.