Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 5, 2016, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
For Award Tickets, please see Consolidated JL award thread: Definitive Booking JL using AS Miles Thread [All Cabins]

It is possible to earn miles on JL now.

Awards are live, as of Dec. 6th, 2016 (not visible in the iOS app, but using the website at the moment). US/Canada to Asia and intra-Asia only. DEL is considered part of Asia. Stopovers are being allowed at the moment on intra-Asia flights involving TYO (NRT or HND) when pricing using the AS website. KIX stopovers or through routings do not seem to be allowed intra-Asia. KIX stopovers DO seem to work for ex-North America flights.

Flights to/from Hawaii can apparently be booked, but are not (yet) displayed on the award chart. Mileage costs are the same as those from the Continental U.S.

CGK is the only intra-Asia JL destination with F, if you are looking to "maximize" the award. JL has a number of 788 planes with slanty seat, last generation J, some of which fly from US destinations like YVR. You might wish to avoid those flights if you are "maximizing" your award.

Post #300 by yaychemistry has useful information on how the JL award booking process works.
Print Wikipost

Alaska Air Welcomes Japan Airlines (JL) as a Partner

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
Having never flown on the 787, what is wrong with it? Is it the width?
Most 788s have angle-flat seats in J that are uncomfortable (at least my experience with them, I was struggling after BKK - HND).

However JAL has started rolling out the SS8 on some 788s and SS9 on all 789s which are extensions of the awesome SS7 product found on their 77Ws.

I believe right now the old 788s are being used on SANNRT, BOSNRT, and YVRNRT, however BOSNRT is getting a 789 later this year.

All other US destinations (SFO, DFW, JFK, ORD, LAX) have SS7, SS8, or SS9 seats.

Details of the roll-out and routes that the new setup is found on is here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic....html#suite787
Old May 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hktramz
CX,KE,JL,AF,KL,BA,AM,AA,AS,DL are all Alaska's partners. LOL
I had to point it out , sorry.

Seriously though I am interested to see the earnings chart and if AA coded JL or vv. will credit to AS. This could bring some serious S.E Asia MR's that are beyond the reach of AA metal into play for us ^
Old May 10, 2016, 5:40 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787

I believe right now the old 788s are being used on SANNRT, BOSNRT, and YVRNRT, however BOSNRT is getting a 789 later this year.

All other US destinations (SFO, DFW, JFK, ORD, LAX) have SS7, SS8, or SS9 seats.

Details of the roll-out and routes that the new setup is found on is here: http://www.jal.co.jp/en/inter/servic....html#suite787
Almost correct. LAX-KIX also has a 787 daily rotation, and is the older seat. I personally don't find it terribly uncomfortable but understand the concern. It's worked just great for me on past trips.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
YES!!!!!
Old May 10, 2016, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wonder if lounge access and increased baggage allotment will be included?

Not that I want to fly JL in Y
Old May 10, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Good deal. One would have to think SEA is on JL's radar with this announcement, if not also PDX. Would love to see JL in ANC on a non-charter basis but they probably don't have the right aircraft for it.
Old May 10, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
This is good news! I hope the earn/burn rate will be good. I put all my Oneworld and Skyteam miles into AS, so this is another good addition to the list! ^
Old May 10, 2016, 11:04 pm

No mention of Hawaii in the press release. JAL has a ton of lift between Japan and Hawaii, with some lie flat seating, more coming this year. They even published a schedule for the rollout dates and routes.

I hope they have reasonable award pricing out of Hawaii. Even AA did that.

-David
Old May 10, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: United 1P, Alaska MVPG 75K, Hyatt Daimond
I would think JAL will now consider adding a flight to SEA. AS offers great connections onward. ANA may have trouble competing
Old May 10, 2016, 11:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
No mention of Hawaii in the press release. JAL has a ton of lift between Japan and Hawaii, with some lie flat seating, more coming this year. They even published a schedule for the rollout dates and routes.

I hope they have reasonable award pricing out of Hawaii. Even AA did that.

-David
Thought about that.

Saw a few JL a/c arrive when on the beach near HNL last week ^
Old May 11, 2016, 1:11 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I was just thinking the other day that I wished JAL would partner with AS now that I'm back in HNL. Can't wait to start flying them again.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by convert
I would think JAL will now consider adding a flight to SEA. AS offers great connections onward. ANA may have trouble competing
Now that JL is out from under the onus of their "restructuring" they might be willing to go head-to-head against NH... and SEA seems like an optimal choice to do that.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Same here
Looks like AS is moving closer to OneWorld?
I wondered the same thing. This makes it 6 OW, 5 ST and several others that are non-alliance members. I noticed a few of those have a mix of OW and ST too.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:40 am
Suspended

Earnings table is up: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx

Economy Q, N: 30%
Economy L, V, S, O, G, R: 50%
Economy H, K, M: 70%
Economy Y, B: 100%
Premium Economy W, E: 100%
Business I: 70%
Business J, C, D, X: 125%
First F, A: 150%
Old May 11, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Earnings table is up: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-airlines.aspx

Economy Q, N: 30%
Economy L, V, S, O, G, R: 50%
Economy H, K, M: 70%
Economy Y, B: 100%
Premium Economy W, E: 100%
Business I: 70%
Business J, C, D, X: 125%
First F, A: 150%
Pretty stingy on the discounted J. Matches up to what JAL/JMB credits on their own I coded fares. Wonder if that means the JAL award chart will resemble the JAL one too (wishful thinking).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.