New Delta Ad: "You can't stop Seattle"

Old May 4, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by nwflyboy
Anyone who actually lives here knows you certainly can "stop Seattle" and it's quite easy to do - sometimes all it takes is just a pipe or a rock. Anyone who has tried to drive anywhere since last Friday knows it painfully well.

Idiots.
Trace amounts of snow works wonders, too!
Old May 4, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BOB W
Under Richard Anderson, DL=Hubris in the extreme and his attitude has infected all levels of DL. Hubris kills from the inside, by its' own nature.
This happens at all airlines as they're doing well.
  • UA in the 1990's was full of themselves.
  • CO in the late 2000's into early 2010's, which created a lot of problems with today's United.
  • DL in the last few years.

It has nothing to do with Richard Anderson. When you continue to outperform, you become arrogant. It's human nature.

Even AS has some of these tendencies from time to time.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
Most airlines will offer opportunities to those that are being affected by a station closure or downsizing. Union or not. Delta front line staff don't need a union for that but they have absolutely no assurance that the company will hold true to their promise. I remember when DL used to say that they had a "no furlough" policy - back in the 80's. That lasted until it they needed to furlough. They also had a policy of not requiring new hire Flight Attendants to go to the NYC base directly from training. That lasted until they could no longer honor that promise. Things change at DL when management feels like changing them.
I was pointing out that other employees with more seniority would not out-bid downsizing station employees out of a job.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets
I was pointing out that other employees with more seniority would not out-bid downsizing station employees out of a job.
I was pointing out that Delta changes their workplace policies and rules as it suits them.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
I was pointing out that Delta changes their workplace policies and rules as it suits them.
Think we are off point here. Seattle for DL as for many others a huge gateway opportunity and their hoping that they feed that other than using AS. I think their international will do well, while their domestic not so well. What will also be interesting is to see what AS does with the merger, the existing partners of Virgin. American is ok but just ok I also think that EK will become a much closer alignment, just saying. And I like EK
Old May 4, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN A-List; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; HH Diamond; all the rest
One AS response

New in the May "Beyond" magazine on board: a map of partner international routes, much like the all-SkyTeam maps you would see in DL's magazine, under a heading something like "Mileage Plan Gives You the World."

But the partner routes and destinations are only selected ones - and wouldn't you guess which partner airline's extensive international route network is largely left off of the map? Hint: not AA.
Old May 6, 2016, 8:54 pm

Lord this is the greatest thread in a long time to come along.

Anyone could predict the panic reaction of AS fans. They love their airline and whether it's grossly overrated or the best thing since sliced bread as many here believe, you can't change minds.

I'm pretty simple. I fly DL because I get a blanket, pillow and actual personal service in first class before the plane ever leaves the gate. With AS I get a swig of water, no amenities and if I dare ask a flight attendant for a drink before we leave (sometimes just to tip the boat) I get looked at like I'm a criminal. But that's just me.

Don't see how anyone can defend Sh*tMiles over MileagePlan though.
Old May 6, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by n7371f

Anyone could predict the panic reaction of AS fans. They love their airline and whether it's grossly overrated or the best thing since sliced bread as many here believe, you can't change minds.

I'm pretty simple. I fly DL because I get a blanket, pillow and actual personal service in first class before the plane ever leaves the gate. With AS I get a swig of water, no amenities and if I dare ask a flight attendant for a drink before we leave (sometimes just to tip the boat) I get looked at like I'm a criminal. But that's just me.

I take issue with the wording "panic" among AS flyers. The add is primarily aimed at international travel which yes is a big deal out of Seattle, however it makes no reference to DL domestic feeding into their international flights, HMMM wonder why?

As for service I absolutely agree with you AS FC service is horrible and yes I book and pay for FC, not an occasional upgrade, I also like the decorum of other carriers when it comes to keeping FC - FC and not letting a conga line from main cabin to the bathroom And yes the FA's on AS are like the service so so. But look now that AS has stepped into the "big leagues" they need to act it the homey NW bs is gone. As I have said before if I were not so damn close to 1mm I would look around. Hell they can't even up their credit card like all the others and make it a premium with boardroom membership and other bennies. THATS the problem with Bank America. They need to blow BA off and go Chase
Old May 6, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by edgewood49
They need to blow BA off and go Chase
Does BofA regulate the number of perks they can give?
Old May 6, 2016, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm pretty simple. I fly DL because I get a blanket, pillow and actual personal service in first class before the plane ever leaves the gate.
Honestly I've flow DL about twice now, but all of their Seattle team seem to be on it when it comes to customer service. Their new 737 product is also pretty flash. The blankets are also really nice.

A lot of my AS defending is because I feel like Alaska is "my airline," but a big part of me hopes that this DL intrusion gets them to up their game. Im currently also hoping the VX acquisition makes AS cooler, trendier, more design oriented, and more service focused.
Old May 6, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G

I am not sure who is panicking. This thread is about a very simplistic TV spot that almost totally misses the point.

I just flew the Delta One (paid) service AMS-SEA and it was the most disappointing flight I have had in a very long time. Curt lunch service, then the FA's disappeared for 6 hours. Any hope for liquids or other refreshment required me to visit the galley and serve myself. When I approached the snack cart, the looks I got made me think I had trespassed into another kingdom where I did not belong. They simply did not care and gave the attitude that they could not wait for the flight to be over. YMMV.

AS-pillow NO, blanket-I have a stack of the AS ones and will be happy to send you one (in a SASBox) and the AS F service is universally held up as one of the best. Ask for coffee with Bailey's before takeoff and you will most likely get it with a smile on AS.

Your SkyPesos are basically worthless and your product is still needing some basic level of consistency. All airlines have their good and bad points. Overall AS is taking care of their customers and your post will not change any of that.
Old May 6, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
One can only hope that the new management at DL steps back from a really, really expensive "Battle for Seattle" and comes to an agreement that helps DL and AS in the long run.
This, exactly. AS and DL are both good airlines and each has strengths the other doesn't. At this point the partnership is only mostly dead, and if the egos stay in control, maybe it can stay that way or get better again.
Old May 7, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
AS F service is universally held up as one of the best.
Best at what? Hawking credit cards while first class glasses are empty?

Ask for coffee with Bailey's before takeoff and you will most likely get it with a smile on AS.
Are we flying the same airline?
Old May 7, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I take issue with the wording "panic" among AS flyers. The add is primarily aimed at international travel which yes is a big deal out of Seattle, however it makes no reference to DL domestic feeding into their international flights, HMMM wonder why?
I think that's because Delta is marketing itself as Seattle's GLOBAL airline. The CEO recently said despite the competition, SEA has been a profitable project worth continuing. At my airport (and likely many others), where do Alaska customers go when Horizon employees leave the ticket counter completely unstaffed 40 minutes before departure? Delta.
Old May 7, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Widgets
At my airport (and likely many others), where do Alaska customers go when Horizon employees leave the ticket counter completely unstaffed 40 minutes before departure?
Um, through security and to the gate? Why would you need to talk to someone at the bag-drop counter at T40? You're suppose to be at the gate by then anyways, never mind already have your bags checked.

Surprise surprise: the minimum check in time for Delta (the supposed 'GLOBAL' airline that is so much better than QX) is also between 30-45 minutes for non-shuttle flights.

Last edited by QXflyer; May 7, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.