Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS flight booked with Avios -- paid upgrade at check-in?

Old Apr 30, 16, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Platinum

I have booked an Economy flight on AS using Avios through the BA call center and am considering a paid upgrade at check-in if that's at all possible, which AS offer quite commonly. Should I wait until I'm at the airport, or check-in online through AS, or even through BA for this? Or does AS not offer paid upgrades on award tickets anyway?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 16, 1:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
It can be done if upgrade space is available after all elite upgrades have been accommodated, as with other cash upgrades. Best to check in online as early as you can to maximize your chance of catching any space that may be left. You'll need the AS PNR, which you can get by calling them.
Old Apr 30, 16, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP, BW Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by OWBA View Post
I have booked an Economy flight on AS using Avios through the BA call center and am considering a paid upgrade at check-in if that's at all possible, which AS offer quite commonly. Should I wait until I'm at the airport, or check-in online through AS, or even through BA for this? Or does AS not offer paid upgrades on award tickets anyway?

Thanks!
I wouldn't say paid upgrades are "common", but if they are available, you'll want to grab them right at T-24 when you check-in and yes, they are available on award tickets.
Old Apr 30, 16, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, Marriott Ti, IHG Au, HH Ag, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred, *$ Au
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
I wouldn't say paid upgrades are "common", but if they are available, you'll want to grab them right at T-24 when you check-in and yes, they are available on award tickets.
And just to clarify, T-24 for the segment you want to try, since you can OLCI earlier than that if you had a connecting segment. You can always recheck in at T-24 for the desired segment if that's the case.

Search this Thread