Lies about the Alaska mileaage plan

Old Apr 25, 16, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: alaska, american, delta
Thumbs down Lies about the Alaska mileaage plan

I've been a loyal Alaska airlines customer for over 20 years, even doing a commercial for them about 15 years ago. But regarding their mileage plan, I feel they've totally become a source of false advertising in the most major way. First, we all have to be continually pulverized by mileage plan selling by flight attendants who blast the intercom and walk up and down the isles repeating the plans benefits. But for those who like to use the miles, and are loyal like I have been, they leave you wanting to leave all the time. Try booking a direct flight to their new location DFW using miles, and you'll either be given only multiple flights with a stopover, or you'll pay a premium to get the direct one available. It's a shame they've been doing this for years. Hawk the credit cards all day, sell the mileage plan all day, but fail miserably to fulfill your obligation to provide the basic services they advertise. It's s crying shame they don't listen to their customers. It's been a terrible strategy for an airline that treats it's flyers on the plane as well as anyone in the sky. I wrote the director of marketing years ago but never got a response. Shameful.
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
As someone who only flys domestically I can say the Mileage plan has saved me many thousands of dollars over the last decade. I have enjoyed family trips across the country and to Hawaii all by using miles, in fact I can say its rare that I cant find an award to my destination.

I am also aware that early planning is necessary and that award seats are limited. I am also aware that while the plan is perhaps not as good as in the past it is far better than most others. I have zero issue with the way AS runs the mileage plan.
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All, interesting. But, your thread is about "lies" and you don't list any. What exactlty are the "lies"? Please be specific.
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
The "new location DFW" that they started serving in 2005?
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
It sounds like this has been a chronic recurring issue that the OP has had, and despite having written the marketing director years ago, without the apparent courtesy of a reply, the OP continues to patronize the company. " It's been a terrible strategy ..." has lead to record profits as well as high marks in consumer surveys.

I've been a loyal MP member for 30 years and have never been pulverized. I do admit to having seen an FA walking up and down the isles, but that was when he was in Honolulu getting some exercise. I've also never seen an intercom blast, which would clearly be an inflight hazard.

I am also puzzled by the "an airline that treats it's flyers on the plane as well as anyone in the sky" comment, because it would mean that most other airlines also pulverize their passengers.

Finally, I would like to think this airline eagles the credit cards, or at least puffins them, not hawks them.

But Ptarm and ptarmigan, people need to complain.
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Smith Sinclair View Post
their new location DFW
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

AS has been serving DFW with 2-4 flights/day for 11 years.
Old Apr 25, 16, 8:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Try booking a direct flight to their new location DFW using miles, and you'll either be given only multiple flights with a stopover, or you'll pay a premium to get the direct one available.
Awkward. I just did a dummy booking and found space available for 20k+$6 on all four AS direct DFW flights. It seemed to be pretty easy.

Or are you mad the direct flights are 20k instead of 12.5k? I agree, it seems unreasonable that the more desirable product should cost more. /s
Old Apr 25, 16, 11:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
It sounds like this has been a chronic recurring issue that the OP has had, and despite having written the marketing director years ago, without the apparent courtesy of a reply, the OP continues to patronize the company. " It's been a terrible strategy ..." has lead to record profits as well as high marks in consumer surveys.

I've been a loyal MP member for 30 years and have never been pulverized. I do admit to having seen an FA walking up and down the isles, but that was when he was in Honolulu getting some exercise. I've also never seen an intercom blast, which would clearly be an inflight hazard.

I am also puzzled by the "an airline that treats it's flyers on the plane as well as anyone in the sky" comment, because it would mean that most other airlines also pulverize their passengers.

Finally, I would like to think this airline eagles the credit cards, or at least puffins them, not hawks them.

But Ptarm and ptarmigan, people need to complain.
har har har
Old Apr 26, 16, 12:04 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Just look at the number of posts the OP has made, and that should tell you all you need to know about the OP. They clearly only came here to complain, and the fact that they have not responded to their own thread means they do not really desire to have a conversation, only attempt to slander one of the highest rated airlines in the nation.
Old Apr 26, 16, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rybob1 View Post
Just look at the number of posts the OP has made, and that should tell you all you need to know about the OP. They clearly only came here to complain, and the fact that they have not responded to their own thread means they do not really desire to have a conversation, only attempt to slander one of the highest rated airlines in the nation.
Libel, not slander.
Old Apr 26, 16, 9:56 am

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I've been a loyal Alaska airlines customer for over 20 years, even doing a commercial for them about 15 years ago. But regarding their mileage plan, I feel they've totally become a source of false advertising in the most major way. First, we all have to be continually pulverized by mileage plan selling by flight attendants who blast the intercom and walk up and down the isles repeating the plans benefits. But for those who like to use the miles, and are loyal like I have been, they leave you wanting to leave all the time. Try booking a direct flight to their new location DFW using miles, and you'll either be given only multiple flights with a stopover, or you'll pay a premium to get the direct one available. It's a shame they've been doing this for years. Hawk the credit cards all day, sell the mileage plan all day, but fail miserably to fulfill your obligation to provide the basic services they advertise. It's s crying shame they don't listen to their customers. It's been a terrible strategy for an airline that treats it's flyers on the plane as well as anyone in the sky. I wrote the director of marketing years ago but never got a response. Shameful.
Supply : Demand.

There is absolutely no guarantee that "low/saver" availability will always be available for the routes and times you want for mileage redemption.

That holds true WITH EVERY SINGLE AIRLINE. So not sure how this is "lies"??

Have you looked at Delta redemptions? They're not exactly generous with low 12,500 award redemption either.

At least with Alaska, you can usually find mid-tier 20k redemptions. Even on flights that are virtually full (highest Y fare buckets only) - they still offer a cap-out at 30k. Delta I've seen one-way fares in Economy as high as 40k or more.

And guess what. If there are low 12,500 redemptions available with DL or AA - you can book them with your AS miles in any event!

Doh!
Old Apr 26, 16, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Old Apr 26, 16, 1:07 pm
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
...but fail miserably to fulfill your obligation to provide the basic services they advertise.
What are you talking about? How did AS fail you? What did you write to customer service about? What obligation(s) have gone unfulfilled

Maybe this thread should get moved here: I Need To Vent OMNI
Old Apr 26, 16, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
What are you talking about? How did AS fail you? What did you write to customer service about? What obligation(s) have gone unfulfilled

Maybe this thread should get moved here: I Need To Vent OMNI
The crux of it seems to be that AS is full of lies because he can't get a low saver award available on the non-stop to DFW on the dates he wants.
Old Apr 26, 16, 2:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Libel, not slander.
I always struggle with the two - I must have been skipping that day in high school

Search this Thread
Search Engine: