Wiki Posts
Search

Board Room => Alaska Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:00 pm
21A
Original Poster

Board Room => Alaska Lounge?

page A3 of this month's magazine: "The Alaska Lounge is your sanctuary." Also listed that way on the terminal maps. A rebranding to come?

http://www.paradigmcg.com/digitaleditions/abm-0416/html5/index.html?page=191&server=

http://www.alaskaair.com/lounge redirects to
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/gifts-and-products/board-room/board-room-airport-lounge.aspx
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:10 pm
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Yep, it's part of the branding refresh. Travel Codex mentioned it in January:
Finally, the Board Room is going away! I received different explanations, ranging from “the name is too long” to “it doesn’t reflect our message” to “customers think it’s for business meetings.” The new name will be the Alaska Lounge.
http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/t...aska-airlines/
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:19 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by tonei
Yep, it's part of the branding refresh. Travel Codex mentioned it in January:

http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/01/t...aska-airlines/
To
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
To be replaced with confusion with the Alaska Lodge, at least in SEA.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Does this mean we'll have to change this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...ored-room.html

I guess the Bored Room™ licensing fees to Eastbay1K, much like the VX licensing fees to SRB, got to be too much...
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Also see:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26080716-post119.html
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Although "Alaska Lounge" isn't exactly the most inventive name ever, it sure makes a lot more sense than "Board Room" to me. I have a feeling a lot of people think of a Board Room as being something where only business travelers hang out ... surely Alaska wants to target more people than that.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by martonikaj
surely Alaska wants to target more people than that.
I doubt it. Other than the business travelers and the die hard FTer's, no one else really gives a crap about lounges so i don't think it really matters what its called
Old Apr 23, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
That sucks. I liked the term Boardroom. I probably will keep calling it that and not use "Alaska Lounge" which sounds like a seedy strip club name.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by CDKing
I doubt it. Other than the business travelers and the die hard FTer's, no one else really gives a crap about lounges so i don't think it really matters what its called
Maybe that's true in some areas, but I think you'll find a lot of leisure travelers from Alaska who are lounge members. Remember, in general, our population flies far more often than what would be typical for people from the Lower 48, and Alaskans are generally more aviation focused.

The ANC Board Room in particular - and SEA to a certain extent - has very different demographics throughout the day than what you would find in other airline lounges. Come to think of it, it seems like all of the AS BRs have a slightly different clientele than what I've seen in lounges that are run by American, Delta or United - those seem to have more business travelers, more "suits" than Alaska.

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
That sucks. I liked the term Boardroom. I probably will keep calling it that and not use "Alaska Lounge" which sounds like a seedy strip club name.
This made me laugh ... Now I'm going to find it difficult to not get a visual image of a seedy, windowless spot in Spenard when I hear the term "Alaska Lounge."

Reality? Most of us old-timers will probably still call it the Board Room. Old habits can be difficult to break.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
I don't see why it's at all advantageous to keep your lounge from being appealing to the broadest number of travelers. Even though yes the lounge is only used by a very small % of Alaska's customers, you still want to be able to use that lounge as a selling point for people to potentially fly in F or buy a day pass when they have a layover or delayed/canceled flight.

And it could be just the times I'm in there, but I see what seems to be a pretty diverse set of travelers in the Board Rooms. Sure there are lots of single business types in there, as there are in every airport lounge, but also lots of couples (especially older folks) and even parents with young children sometimes.

Honestly I think the best thing that any airline can do is make its lounges feel like they're a little more accessible. Sure there's some benefit of having them feel exclusive and all, but that doesn't mean it has to feel stuffy and businesslike with a name like "Board Room" attached.

Ha! I do agree the name is a bit uninspired compared to something like the "British Airways Galleries Lounge," "Delta Sky Club" or "American Airlines Admirals Club" ... but not sure how many will make the same association that you have
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
sounds like a seedy strip club name.
if it were actually that, i wouldn't have spent the last 10 months wavering about whether or not to join...sign me up!
Old Apr 25, 2016, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by martonikaj
Ha! I do agree the name is a bit uninspired compared to something like the "British Airways Galleries Lounge," "Delta Sky Club" or "American Airlines Admirals Club" ... but not sure how many will make the same association that you have
ahem... Delta Crown Room

I'm going to miss the BR name. And I'll still call it that of course

Hopefully AS has an about face on this one.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy, NEXUS
The Alaska lounge is the Alaska Lounge, the Alaska mileage plan is Mileage Plan, and when you're in the air, their signature fruit and cheese platter is the Signature Fruit and Cheese Platter.

Who needs fancy names?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Kufat
The Alaska lounge is the Alaska Lounge, the Alaska mileage plan is Mileage Plan, and when you're in the air, their signature fruit and cheese platter is the Signature Fruit and Cheese Platter.

Who needs fancy names?
Hear hear!

-AD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.