"1 ticket available at $xx.xx"

Old Apr 21, 16, 12:08 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 103
"1 ticket available at $xx.xx"

More of an observation...ran across the above message and decided to poke around at the pricing options given I needed 2 tickets and only 1 ticket was available as advertised price. Attempting to buy two tickets would've raised the price on BOTH tickets a good deal (~$60 each ticket), as such, I purchased 1 single ticket and crossed my fingers the second price wouldn't jump to an astronomical number. To my surprise, the second ticket was still offered at the same price (in fact the pricing stayed the same after my two consecutive single ticket purchases).

Is this a deceptive practice or is their software slow to raise the price after the initial purchase?
damieniz1 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 12:42 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 30,700
There was probably only 1 seat in inventory of the particular seat bucket (i.e., Q, V, etc.) and when sold, revenue management had it programmed to add another single seat. This would not frequently be the case.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 1:00 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
There was probably only 1 seat in inventory of the particular seat bucket (i.e., Q, V, etc.) and when sold, revenue management had it programmed to add another single seat.
If this theory is true, then the answer to the OP's question about whether it's deceptive is a resounding yes.

I suspect there's more to the story, though.
fairviewroad is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 1:18 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Seattle
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Posts: 539
Did both tickets book into the same fare class? There are occasions when different classes have the same price (comes up occasionally for GGU-upgradeable fares), so it could be that the message is mistakenly triggering on one ticket available in the lower fare class only, despite identical pricing.
Kieron is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 1:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Seattle
Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Posts: 426
It's possible that there are tickets in two different classes with the same price, and whereas you purchased the last G fare at $xx.xx, there is now one T fare at $xx.xx.

Even if that's the case, the wording on the site should be "only one seat left in this fare class", but most people probably wouldn't understand that.
lg20 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 1:24 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SFO
Posts: 3,600
Shhhh
PWMTrav is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:43 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ANC
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Club 49, Dollar, Avis, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, GHA, Global Entry
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
revenue management had it programmed to add another single seat.
Then how can they show the warning [only 1 ticket left at this price] when it clearly is not the case?
AKLifetimeFlyer is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 3:59 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,002
Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer View Post
Then how can they show the warning [only 1 ticket left at this price] when it clearly is not the case?
Seems complicated, I wont even try to understand it with my limited programming knowledge. Website queries the GDS showing availability in a specific booking class. If Booking Class Remaining >=5 display X number of seats remaining at this fare. Wouldn't you have to program it to think of every single possible scenario that revenue management system can come up with?
CDKing is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 4:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: San Francisco, CA USA // UA 1K 2 Million Miler, AA EXP 2MM, HH Diamond, SPG Plat // Easily found on SFO-ORDs
Posts: 2,717
Originally Posted by damieniz1 View Post
More of an observation...ran across the above message and decided to poke around at the pricing options given I needed 2 tickets and only 1 ticket was available as advertised price. Attempting to buy two tickets would've raised the price on BOTH tickets a good deal (~$60 each ticket), as such, I purchased 1 single ticket and crossed my fingers the second price wouldn't jump to an astronomical number. To my surprise, the second ticket was still offered at the same price (in fact the pricing stayed the same after my two consecutive single ticket purchases).

Is this a deceptive practice or is their software slow to raise the price after the initial purchase?
I experienced the same recently, buying SEA-SFO in P. We were two pax, and asking for two tickets raised the price considerably. So, just as you describe, I bought the first, then went to buy the second (expecting the higher price)-- only to have it be the same lower price. It felt deceptive to me, even with an understanding of the way revenue management works.
1K-SFO is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 4:43 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 103
both tickets in the same fare class -- L.
damieniz1 is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 5:33 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: SEA, NW/DL 1.5Million Miler
Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver, AS 75K 15-18
Posts: 3,300
Interesting. Does AS have subclass within L, or perhaps fare rules in L with different rules..

Jiburi
jiburi is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 5:51 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 18,002
Originally Posted by jiburi View Post
Interesting. Does AS have subclass within L, or perhaps fare rules in L with different rules..

Jiburi
Yes airline can publish multiple different L fares for the same route. Sometimes even you will have 2 fares that look exactly the same but different restrictions. Yes there can be some overlap
CDKing is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 5:58 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: United States
Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Posts: 4,643
Originally Posted by lg20 View Post
It's possible that there are tickets in two different classes with the same price, and whereas you purchased the last G fare at $xx.xx, there is now one T fare at $xx.xx.
But if that was the case, then purchasing two tickets would not trigger a higher price per ticket.
fairviewroad is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 7:05 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Anchorage, AK
Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG75K, AA, DL, HH-G
Posts: 7,311
Just a guess but perhaps AS did not cycle the one fare out of the system immediately and you booked the second ticket before the system was updated.
BOB W is offline  
Old Apr 21, 16, 8:19 pm
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,369
Originally Posted by BOB W View Post
Just a guess but perhaps AS did not cycle the one fare out of the system immediately and you booked the second ticket before the system was updated.
I'm leaning towards this.

And it might be good to not poke at
beckoa is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread