FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   British Airways Lounge Access for AS Elites- LHR Galleries T5 & T3 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1758388-british-airways-lounge-access-elites-lhr-galleries-t5-t3.html)

jiburi Apr 8, 2016 7:22 pm

British Airways Lounge Access for AS Elites- LHR Galleries T5 & T3

I just discovered a benefit I didn't know existed when flying BA. Has anyone experienced the lounge there? What are the procedures required when accessing Galleries Lounge in London? Is this just a trial?

Available to MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K members April 1.–September 30, 2016, when traveling between London and Seattle

Club World priority check-in and boarding at Seattle (SEA) and London-Heathrow (LHR) airports.
Fast Track security access at London-Heathrow (LHR) airport
Access to the Terminal 5 Galleries Lounge at London-Heathrow (LHR) airport
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...-benefits.aspx

Jiburi

Edgerfly Apr 8, 2016 8:40 pm

Just hope the BA employees know the rules because they've probably never heard of their Partner 'Alaska'

dayone Apr 8, 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly (Post 26458817)
Just hope the BA employees know the rules because they've probably never heard of their Partner 'Alaska'

I'm quite certain that BA's SEA staff have heard of Alaska. Entrance into LHR T5 Galleries is confirmed by scanning one's BP. If your MP elite number is associated with your flight, I would expect easy entry. Your MP elite card would be your backup.

T5 Galleries North is nice. There is a similar South lounge. It is large, with an ample buffet appropriate to the time of day, but the offerings are a bit institutional. Both the wine and the liquor bar are self-pour, along with fridges with cans of beer and soft drinks.

It can get busy, and a bit loud and times, but you shouldn't have a problem finding a seat. Floor-to-ceiling windows with great views of the tarmac.

QXflyer Apr 8, 2016 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Edgerfly (Post 26458817)

'Alaskan' as I've heard from many LHR ground staff in t5.

TravelBrighter Apr 8, 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 26458888)
I'm quite certain that BA's SEA staff have heard of Alaska.

That's more than can be said for the BA staff at SAN... In my experience, the rude, unknowledgeable people they have working check-in and the gate act like they've never heard of 'Alaskan,' even as a parade of AS planes pass the window behind them.

But those are just contract employees. Once on-board, the genuine FAs are just what one expects of British hospitality: curt and condescending ;)

TravelBrighter Apr 8, 2016 10:13 pm

In seriousness, though, the lounge staff at LHR are really wonderful, courteous, and attentive. They aren't very familiar with AS, but they do know it's a partner, and they will go out of their way to lend assistance if you ask for help.

BW Flyer Apr 8, 2016 11:39 pm

May be I am off topic here, but when I browsed through the partner elite benefits page that also spells out BA's latest lounge benefits, I noticed under the DL tab, it says: "Delta Silver Medallion check-in is available at ATL, BOS, JFK, MSP, DTW and LAX. Delta Sky PriorityŽ check-in is available at all other locations".

I thought we lost Sky Priority check-in for MVPG and 75K members last year, and we are just Zone 1 now.

Is it a typo on the web site, or I read it wrong?

Thanks!

BW

dayone Apr 9, 2016 12:23 am

Originally Posted by BW Flyer (Post 26459193)
I thought we lost Sky Priority check-in for MVPG and 75K members last year, and we are just Zone 1 now.

Sky Priority is a suite of services. AS elites get check-in, but not boarding.

777 Apr 9, 2016 6:59 am

I entered the galleries BA lounge at LHR today with my Alaska mobile app showing gold mvp. Had no problem whatsoever- the agent knew the drill. Would be even better if this was a permanent change and not just over the summer months.

FlyingBear Apr 9, 2016 10:15 am

Anyone know if access includes a guest on the same itinerary or just the Alaska MVP Gold member?

Eastbay1K Apr 9, 2016 11:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyingBear (Post 26460729)
Anyone know if access includes a guest on the same itinerary or just the Alaska MVP Gold member?

Good point, and not described on the benefit page (for this or the other new benefits). Without a guest, it makes the benefit frequently useless.

beckoa Apr 9, 2016 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K (Post 26461120)
Good point, and not described on the benefit page (for this or the other new benefits). Without a guest, it makes the benefit frequently useless.

Unless it explicitly states "guest" included, I'd be inclined to think this applies to the member with MVPG+ only.

FlyingBear Apr 9, 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 26462011)
Unless it explicitly states "guest" included, I'd be inclined to think this applies to the member with MVPG+ only.

I would probably guess the same, but wanted to get confirmation. I agree with EastBay1K that the lack of a guest reduces its usefulness.

There is a page mentioned in an earlier thread with more details about the partnership:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/de...h-airways.aspx

But the more info link 404's.

Edgerfly Apr 10, 2016 3:12 am

Or you could just walk in with a guest and insist you're entitled to one. I'm surprised LHR staff were familiar with this "Alaskan" partner promo.

channa Apr 10, 2016 7:17 am

Originally Posted by TravelBrighter (Post 26459060)
In seriousness, though, the lounge staff at LHR are really wonderful, courteous, and attentive. They aren't very familiar with AS, but they do know it's a partner, and they will go out of their way to lend assistance if you ask for help.

Agreed. The lounge staff at LHR are so nice, they make you feel like you've already left Britain.