Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Group to Acquire Virgin America [Discussion from April 4, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.6MM

http://splash.alaskasworld.com/Newsr...404_025411.asp

I wonder what happens to the "Proudly all Boeing" on the noses of the 737's?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:59 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Wow, $2.6 billion is the deal. AS management just got seriously played by B6. Paying double what the company was worth just a few weeks ago is verging on insanity. Good luck to AS in keeping the VX customer base. They will need it.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:06 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
I was reading TPG and he's saying the deal is roughly $4 billion dollars.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/alas...irgin-america/
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by gemini573
I was reading TPG and he's saying the deal is roughly $4 billion dollars.

http://thepointsguy.com/2016/04/alas...irgin-america/
$2.6 billion for the stock buy out and taking on $1.4 billion of VX debt.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:15 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
$2.6 billion for the stock buy out and taking on $1.4 billion of VX debt.
Yeah, I just read that part. Too early in the morning.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Fanjet
So keeping a route like LAX-LAS (which AS never chose to serve) and competing with AA/WN/DL/UA/NK instead of just continuing to place their code on AA flights (and I think still on DL's flights), makes good sense how again?
Who said they're going to keep that route?

If it doesn't make financial sense, and they have a codeshare deal with AA, maybe it's worth eliminating and using those planes elsewhere.

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Paying double what the company was worth just a few weeks ago is verging on insanity.
Letting B6 buy the airline and turn into a more formidable competitor would have been insanity. This deal is certainly expensive, but it's strategically brilliant.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I know a lot of people that fly SEA-SFO and stopped using AS several years ago going exclusively with Virgin because of how nice it was, even in coach, and easy to get upgrades to what was a far superior FC.

I am sure they are very unhappy at this news.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by david4455
I know a lot of people that fly SEA-SFO and stopped using AS several years ago going exclusively with Virgin because of how nice it was, even in coach, and easy to get upgrades to what was a far superior FC.

I am sure they are very unhappy at this news.
Exactly. That is how Virgin has thrived in the Bay Area. Going to the AS product makes UA which many people dislike look much more attractive and AS adds nothing except for a few extra non stop frequencies to PDX/SEA/PSP/SLC--all of which already had service with VX except for SLC-- and those flights on AS are not exactly at convenient times for most people.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
If maintaining the VX product and network were the best strategy for investors going forward VX wouldn't be selling itself. The VX business/service model has failed. If it hadn't been for earlier debt-for-equity swaps, for UA's repeated shooting itself in the foot, and for the massive decline in fuel prices, it would have failed spectacularly.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by channa
Letting B6 buy the airline and turn into a more formidable competitor would have been insanity. This deal is certainly expensive, but it's strategically brilliant.
That is correct. This was a buy-or-die moment for AS. It's a $4bn life insurance policy.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by lhpdx40
With this merger, why do I have the feeling that PDX is going to be reduced from a HUB to a focus city...........
Nope, Alaska getting rid of the 23rd largest metro area hub where you are the largest player by far to compete in highly contested areas in California would be literal company suicide.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:17 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker

An Alaska-Virgin America Deal Is A Big Win For American Airlines

Together AA and AS will control a combined market share greater than #2 DL. That is bad for DL and B6.
That article makes sense to me. Sure it's a couple years away. but as an AA flyer out of EWR it would be nice to add non stops to SFO, and LAX out of rinky dink terminal A.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Complementary, Alaska.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
It will be too bad if this merger is approved as neither airline needs this to survive...
I think that's incorrect.

VX would likely be dead by now were it not for two strokes of luck: the fuel price collapse and UA's post-merger meltdown, which drove numerous SFO customers to VX. Before those events VX always lost mountains of money and the next oil shock / recession / etc. would probably have finished them. As for AS, its odds of survival as is would have been much diminished by a large bicoastal B6+VX tieup.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
DONE DEAL

From email just received:

Creating the Premier West Coast Airline.

Good morning, dave1013. As one of our most valued customers, we wanted to be the first to share with you some exciting news that Alaska Airlines is acquiring Virgin America, combining two leading airlines both known for low fares and award-winning customer service. With complimentary West Coast-based networks, operational excellence and a strong commitment to innovation, the joining of Virgin America and Alaska will expand our existing California footprint and grow our transcontinental network, giving you more travel options with 1,200 daily departures nationwide.

We'll keep you updated on the timing and plan for integrating our two airlines.

Thank you for continuing to fly Alaska. We look forward to serving you on your next flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.