Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Air Group to Acquire Virgin America [Discussion from April 4, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Air Group to Acquire Virgin America [Discussion from April 4, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa
I don't know about that.

Virgin, sure. But AS? No pillows, no blankets, no pre-departs in F? DL can do all that. The updated look and food options at the DL SkyClubs blow the AS BRs away. And no PTVs on any aircraft on AS?

From a product perspective, AS may not necessarily even threaten UA. This could get very ugly very quickly if AS doesn't do some serious introspection and understand its competitive position with its product now that they've decided to play ball in SFO and LAX. The customer mindset in SFO and LAX cannot be any further than the SEA mindset that AS is accustomed to.

That would be smart, though I don't see that happening. This is a clear acquisition.
I just saw the CEO say that they're going to do that. If any part of what Virgin is dong is profitable, I doubt they're going to abandon it. I'm sure they'll learn their lessons from Virgin. They're planning to keep the 320's, so there's a good chance they'll keep a premium product from California to DC/NYC.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: AA
As an AA elite based in SFO who ended up flying Alaska every week for almost a year, this feels like the best possible outcome for me. A strong AA partner who I have always greatly enjoyed flying will gain an SFO hub. Plus finally I'll have an SFO-SAN nonstop I can credit to AA.

I could even see myself switching programs from AA to AS depending on how this all goes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:15 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
The presentation suggests they're keeping them.
I still remember WN stating that they would keep the 717s when they bought AirTran, but they changed their mind and they are now sitting with DL.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My worry would be they manage to have negative synergy; losing good things from both airlines. Seen this happen elsewhere and the AS/VX products are so very different...
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska Milage Plan
BYE BYE Cheaper fares

In Canada WestJet started as a discount airline. They grew and now have fares at same level as Air Canada. So much for Lower fares for Canadians. I see this happening with Alaska very soon. There comes a time in an airline's growth where discounted airfares don't sit well with the increasing number of shareholders. The increase of fares and decline in service soon follows.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by woodford02A
-How does AS convert VX loyalists who love the on-board experience and brand who will risk being forced to fly a more basic product?
Will the forthcoming new AS domestic F product look like VX in anyway? Those VX TCON seats are far superior to AS's.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:47 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by diver858
The merged entity will have the largest share of flights between Hawaii and the West Coast. At what point will regulators, activists start to raise concerns?
Very unlikely to be an issue. Some believe that Hawaii-mainland in underserved. Also, any airline is free to add service.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Why? UA still has SFO/LAX to all the islands, DL and AA fly LAX to all the islands and DL still has SFO - HNL, and HA flies a lot of routes to the mainland to some other cities.
And VX adds all of four routes to AS's current HI coverage, two of which haven't even started yet, and none of which AS currently flies. They're adding competition for HA, UA, AA, and DL, not subtracting any.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by felixmendelssohn
The partner slide in that deck makes it look like AS will keep existing VX partners, like SQ. Sounds too good to be true, but I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Right. Obviously AS wants to keep all partners -- the more feed the better. But realistically, there is going to be some contention. VS and BA comes to mind -- they're not going to be happy partnering with an airline that partners with the other.

As for SQ, I believe SQ puts its code on VX flights because of the service -- they wanted a partner with strong service to put their code on for USA connections, despite UA being in Star Alliance and available for SFO and LAX connections. As I mentioned upthread, there is nothing materially different between UA and AS service, and in some aspects the AS product may be inferior to UA. So if AS downgrades the VX product to AS standards, someone like SQ may not go out on a limb to maintain an out-of-alliance relationship like they had been doing for someone like AS, when the primary benefit of the relationship (superior product/service) is eliminated and can be easily replaced by an alliance partner.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My worry would be they manage to have negative synergy; losing good things from both airlines. Seen this happen elsewhere and the AS/VX products are so very different...
Me too. My fear is that this has hints of the UA/CO merger, where the arrogant CO came in with a big head, bloated by their IAH customers who told them they do a good job, when practically speaking, the product and service had some serious weaknesses. It's very much the same lack of criticality that SEA customers often have for things Seattle.

Ultimately, UA/CO destroyed the things that kept customers loyal to UA, the airline was no longer TX-based, so they lost the allure from the people who love things Texas, and they killed the revenue premiums both carriers brought to the table.

AS is much more nimble than they were, this is on a smaller scale, and it's remaining SEA-based so the Seattleites will remain loyal, but the potential to let a somewhat misguided ego define the combined carrier does have similar potential to the UA/CO debacle when dealing with the California marketplace.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
All cash. Well, it's obvious that SRB etc. are all about cashing out on this one. LOL
Someone asked about AS shareholders getting a vote, but with an all cash deal, nope.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by LoggerOne
In Canada WestJet started as a discount airline. They grew and now have fares at same level as Air Canada. So much for Lower fares for Canadians. I see this happening with Alaska very soon. There comes a time in an airline's growth where discounted airfares don't sit well with the increasing number of shareholders. The increase of fares and decline in service soon follows.
I've never viewed AS as a particularly discount carrier, so I don't see how this acquisition changes their fare model.

WestJet changed the competitive landscape in Canada, particularly after the demise of CAI, and has had the effect of lowering fares on routes where they compete head-to-head with AC. The idea of WestJet as a low-fare carrier, other than for the handful of initial operating years, was more of a deliberate marketing perception using LCC language than a consumer reality.

Having a stronger competitor on more routes could be beneficial to the consumer; I think this deal actually makes the overall air travel market more competitive.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by chrisremo
As an AA elite based in SFO who ended up flying Alaska every week for almost a year, this feels like the best possible outcome for me. A strong AA partner who I have always greatly enjoyed flying will gain an SFO hub. Plus finally I'll have an SFO-SAN nonstop I can credit to AA.

I could even see myself switching programs from AA to AS depending on how this all goes.
I was having similar thoughts about that. I have lifetime PLT and usually hit EXP. Surely I could switch enough AA flying over to make whatever AS top tier comes out of all this as I wouldn't have to go out of my way now.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Me too. My fear is that this has hints of the UA/CO merger, where the arrogant CO came in with a big head, bloated by their IAH customers who told them they do a good job, when practically speaking, the product and service had some serious weaknesses.
I especially see this in the transcon product. VX is looking pretty out of date compared to lie-flats to NYC. It is hard for me to see lie-flats working out of SEA transcon, though (DL doesn't even try to guarantee that). So how do you square that circle? I guess this is why I'm not an airline CEO, because I'm not sure you can.

My millennial friends in Seattle who like VX are all disappointed, BTW, because they think VX will be degraded to AS standards instead of the other way around. So maybe we're a little less provincial than you think.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
My millennial friends in Seattle who like VX are all disappointed, BTW, because they think VX will be degraded to AS standards instead of the other way around. So maybe we're a little less provincial than you think.

That's interesting you brought up millenials. That is a customer segment that is really popular with VX, and perhaps a lot of their growth is from that base. I'm on the higher end of the age spectrum when I board a VX flight. Not so much on a UA or AS flight.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's interesting you brought up millenials. That is a customer segment that is really popular with VX, and perhaps a lot of their growth is from that base. I'm on the higher end of the age spectrum when I board a VX flight. Not so much on a UA or AS flight.
Oh, trust me, I notice. My daughter flew AS in F with me down to SFO, VX Y back. Asked her which she liked better. VX, slam dunk. And I rather like them too; their route network out of SEA is impossible for me to use (and too pricey compared to AS), though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.