Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

VX Acquisition: What, if any, customer experience practices might AS adopt?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive

Hopefully they reconsider to keep the Virgin America name and service standards. After flying both airlines Virgin America is a much friendlier and service oriented airline than Alaska. It will be too bad if this merger is approved as neither airline needs this to survive and prices will go up and quality of Virgin America down.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Pi7473000
Hopefully they reconsider to keep the Virgin America name and service standards. After flying both airlines Virgin America is a much friendlier and service oriented airline than Alaska. It will be too bad if this merger is approved as neither airline needs this to survive and prices will go up and quality of Virgin America down.
Wow. You must not fly AS often. I've never been on Virgin, but AS beats the big three hands down all the time, even when the FAs are cranky.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Gold ; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Wow. You must not fly AS often. I've never been on Virgin, but AS beats the big three hands down all the time, even when the FAs are cranky.
Been on Virgin twice and OP is correct, both flights were my best domestic experiences. Love Alaska, but Virgin is the best in terms of flight experience and overall service level.

It goes without saying that both Virgin and Alaska destroy the big 3. I agree with the OP that Alaska needs to asimilate some of that Virgin service into the new company.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
Of my issues with AS, I can't say that the flight attendants have ever been one of them. It's great that Virgin that good service. The issue with legacy carriers is often that they've come through a merger and part of the cost savings of the merger was their pay, their pension, their benefits, etc.

Hopefully AS treats the their new staff well. I'm confident that they'll figure things out. That said, I'd be surprised if it led to a higher end product on most flights.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Platinum
VX Acquistion: What, if any, customer experience practices might AS adopt?

VX has ranked in the top of US airlines for several years and has a small, yet fanatic, following. AS also has a loyal following; however it's hard and soft products and customer experience lens are different.

What, if anything, might AS adopt from VX?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
AS has an awards portfolio that is nothing to sneeze at!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Yeah, on the news today I was thinking the same when they were interviewing customers about VX and how they love VX so much because of the customer service and they are worried now.

As someone who has been an AS FF for 5 years after leaving DL, AS's customer service is nothing to sneeze at and I really think VX and AS have a lot in common as far as customer service goes.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
In all honesty, I've always been a sucker for seat back, on-demand, video entertainment...I realize that it is expensive for the airline from an installation standpoint, but back in my UA days it was always fun to be on flight that had DirectTV. With VX, they really get more use out of their seat back screens since they can be used for on-demand food purchases which I think would be a cool addition to AS flights...you could order your fruit and cheese plate anytime you want during the flight!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
JD power awards.

Wait... AS has been cleaning those up
Old Apr 4, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
In all honesty, I've always been a sucker for seat back, on-demand, video entertainment...I realize that it is expensive for the airline from an installation standpoint, but back in my UA days it was always fun to be on flight that had DirectTV. With VX, they really get more use out of their seat back screens since they can be used for on-demand food purchases which I think would be a cool addition to AS flights...you could order your fruit and cheese plate anytime you want during the flight!
I prefer the hand held devices, mostly just from an upgrade standpoint. They're much easier to replace as technology evolves.

Now, if there was a way to order drinks and fruit and cheese via your smartphone and on-board Wifi..then we have the best of both worlds.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by lg20
Now, if there was a way to order drinks and fruit and cheese via your smartphone and on-board Wifi..then we have the best of both worlds.
Especially if in F.

JL apparently had this feature... I prefer to flag down someone

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.