Search

First class upgrade buy up offers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
First class upgrade buy up offers?

Hi everyone!

Not an AS frequent flyer really, so naturally if this question is/was being discussed already - sorry for repeating. I used to take AS flights from time to time and actually always got comp upgrade thanks to my DL status (can't recall a single flight not being upgraded). Since the divorce things got tougher though.

I booked an economy class award ticket with AS, no AS status. Premium class doesn't seem to be a good value (as I get it comes without checked bag allowance). Does AS normally offer reasonable upgrade options for a First class at OLCI or maybe I should ask at a desk?
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
They'll offer buy-up options at check-in, but don't hold your breath. While it does vary by route, they are pretty rare.

Neil
Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
To add to the above, they're only supposed to offer check in upgrades for $$ after all elite upgrades have been accommodated. Doesn't happen that way 100% of the time though.

The best way to score one of these is at OLCI on an elite-light route. I've seen them offered on LAX-BWI, SAN-MCO, and lots of the shorter E175 routes.

The E175s will also make a few more of these available, I predict, due to the favorably F-Y ratio. However, the elite ranks are also growing quickly with the merger and people status matching in the past.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
To add to the above, they're only supposed to offer check in upgrades for $$ after all elite upgrades have been accommodated. Doesn't happen that way 100% of the time though.

The best way to score one of these is at OLCI on an elite-light route. I've seen them offered on LAX-BWI, SAN-MCO, and lots of the shorter E175 routes.

The E175s will also make a few more of these available, I predict, due to the favorably F-Y ratio. However, the elite ranks are also growing quickly with the merger and people status matching in the past.
And the upgrade prices are fixed by the length of the route in question and are listed on the AS website.

As for elite ranks, I think it remains to be seen. The loss of DL this year and now much of AA in 2018 will clearly impact the size of the AS elite program. Whether the increase in status matching will offset the decrease of those who credited DL and/or AA to AS Mileage Plan is simply not clear at this point. The merger with VX certainly will add somewhat to the AS elite ranks..
Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by formeraa
The merger with VX certainly will add somewhat to the AS elite ranks..
I'm having a hard time believing the impact will be significant. Existing VX elites have seemingly been quite happy with the existing routes, so how many of them are suddenly connecting through PDX or SEA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.