Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Wonder what the transfer ratios will be with AS:VX...
This is an important one. VX is a Citi transfer partner at 2:1. I have a bunch of TYP's I have no plan for and would definitely move them into VX at 2:1 if they are going to go 1:2 when they get combined with AS.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jinglish
I don't think he means full-on merger, just a partnership now that they're becoming a part of AAG. The AS website even (very briefly) showed priority boarding on VX as an AS elite benefit a few months back.
Yep, mostly debating on whether to fly LAX to the East Coast in 2017 on DAL/AA and credit miles to AS or VX.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
My recollection from the AA/US merger (the only one of the big three which was a merger of non-partners), they had reciprocal FF earning (and burning, I think) in place almost immediately after the corporate merger closed. It was one of the first things to happen, presumably because it's relatively easy to add a new FF partner. Upgrades took a bit longer and had various stages of ugly kludges, but as noted, with VX's very different view of F, upgrades are less clear at best.
Also, given the smaller size of AS and customer service focus, the upgrades is something they could do manually until the systems are more integrated.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 1:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
Also, given the smaller size of AS and customer service focus, the upgrades is something they could do manually until the systems are more integrated.
Manually prioritize and execute upgrades? Highly unlikely unfortunately.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:41 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jediwho
VX's revenue model is based on getting revenue for every seat in first. They only have 8 seats and if they give those away as free upgrades their yields which continue to decline due to competitive pressures and a weaker product on transcon flights will get even worse. Don't see free upgrades into F happening at VX. It will take AS a while to figure out what kind of transcon product VX will have going forward. Figuring out how to stop the falling yields will be more important than giving away F seats.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
When would you guess that VX Elevate miles will either be closed or an option to transfer some miles to AS Mileage Plan will be possible?

a. February 2017
b. March 2017
c. April 2017
d. May 2017
e. August 2017
f. Nov 2017
g. never
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59
This is an important one. VX is a Citi transfer partner at 2:1. I have a bunch of TYP's I have no plan for and would definitely move them into VX at 2:1 if they are going to go 1:2 when they get combined with AS.
Got an email this morning from Citi indicating that VX is ceasing to be a Citi ThankYou transfer partner as of January 22, 2017.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Got an email this morning from Citi indicating that VX is ceasing to be a Citi ThankYou transfer partner as of January 22, 2017.

These sorts of things are why I've never been impressed with speculative points strategy that depend on things like favorable transfer ratios (that aren't announced yet).
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:42 am

Since I'm in the frequent flyer program of both airlines I received two separate emails from Brad Tilden yesterday. Much of it was the same. But I did notice that in the VA Elevate email it specifically mentioned a status match for their elite members in Mileage Plan. But I did not see the same language in the Alaska email. Does anyone know if Alaska elites will receive a status match on VA?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by bofc
Since I'm in the frequent flyer program of both airlines I received two separate emails from Brad Tilden yesterday. Much of it was the same. But I did notice that in the VA Elevate email it specifically mentioned a status match for their elite members in Mileage Plan. But I did not see the same language in the Alaska email. Does anyone know if Alaska elites will receive a status match on VA?
Why on earth would we, when AS elites are about to get status benefits on VX?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jinglish
Why on earth would we, when AS elites are about to get status benefits on VX?
The only benefit I see AS elites getting is priority check in and boarding. No access to better seats or anything else. So the reciprocal status match would be nice.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Baze
The only benefit I see AS elites getting is priority check in and boarding. No access to better seats or anything else. So the reciprocal status match would be nice.
+1....AS elites (so far) will be getting next to nothing on VX....for example, without at least a match to VX Silver, we will be paying for our bags when flying VX and sitting in the back of the plane (no preferred seating at all). For now and the foreseeable future, flying VX is not going to be an option I'd consider. On DL, we at least get access to the exit rows at booking and the slim possibility of an upgrade.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
+1....AS elites (so far) will be getting next to nothing on VX....for example, without at least a match to VX Silver, we will be paying for our bags when flying VX and sitting in the back of the plane (no preferred seating at all). For now and the foreseeable future, flying VX is not going to be an option I'd consider.
Not only in the back of the plane but also in a middle seat. Nearly all the aisles and windows are paid now unless you are elite on VX.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Not only in the back of the plane but also in a middle seat. Nearly all the aisles and windows are paid now unless you are elite on VX.
Yikes...I didn't realize it was that bad...no thanks.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:48 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I certainly hope that those who agree that AS status should be matched to VX will share their strong opinions with Mileage Plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.