Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

AS Mileage Plan and VX Elevate Speculation Thread [Consolidated]

Old Apr 4, 16, 1:42 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Third planet from the Sun
Posts: 7,014
They may follow Delta, United, American and have a revenue based FF program.
Tango is offline  
Old Apr 4, 16, 2:43 pm
  #17  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS
Posts: 15,027
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
They may follow Delta, United, American and have a revenue based FF program.
....and destroy THE incentive to fly AS.
Dieuwer is offline  
Old Apr 4, 16, 4:26 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: Northwest, United
Posts: 2,979
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
....and destroy THE incentive to fly AS.
Indeed. I fly AS regularly for business (going tomorrow, in fact - 4 flights in the next 2 weeks).

The day that the AS program morphs into anything resembling a "revenue based" program would be the last day I ever fly AS. If I wanted that, I'd be flying Delta instead.
nwflyboy is offline  
Old Apr 4, 16, 4:46 pm
  #19  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by nwflyboy View Post
Indeed. I fly AS regularly for business (going tomorrow, in fact - 4 flights in the next 2 weeks).

The day that the AS program morphs into anything resembling a "revenue based" program would be the last day I ever fly AS. If I wanted that, I'd be flying Delta instead.
I agree. AS is good because of miles, not points and because of partners Icelandair, Qantas, Cathay Pacific, which are all subject to change, like the way Emirates awards suddenly changed. I don't plan to redeem Emirates awards but the sudden change is unsettling. Change the miles to points and the advantages of AS shrink quite a bit. Delta's no expiration miles would then be worth more to me.
Dean1 is offline  
Old Apr 4, 16, 5:59 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SEA
Programs: MVP Gold, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Posts: 2,406
Given how empty their first class was when I flew them a couple times, I can't say they have as strong of an elite customer base as a company such as Alaska.

There are more people who do accumulate miles either by flying or credit card. Well, i met one person with a Virgin America credit card the other day. Weird.

Alaska miles do have a "cost", so you could easily translate the points to miles.

They might be able to give their 4 1/2 elites silver or gold status as a good gesture.
maokh is offline  
Old Apr 4, 16, 6:19 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: An Island Paradise Near Seattle
Posts: 498
Their F cabins leave with empty seats because short of some massive operational screwup, there is no non-pay/non-redemptive way into F.

I buy VX F over AS F on SEA-LAX because it's better hard product and at least parity soft product.
VibeGuy is online now  
Old Apr 4, 16, 7:28 pm
  #22  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: ORD/MDW
Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Posts: 19,109
Originally Posted by maokh View Post
Given how empty their first class was when I flew them a couple times, I can't say they have as strong of an elite customer base as a company such as Alaska.
The VX F load factor is no barometer of VX customer loyalty. AS upgrades MVPs all the time; VX does not upgrade elites gratis.

I think few would argue that the VX inflight experience in both cabins is head and shoulders above AS. I think most would observe that the "VX experience" was unsustainable, too, given price sensitivity and lack of transcon lie-flats. VX F still kicks AS F down Main Street though.
BearX220 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 7:42 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC
Programs: Gold: VS, SQ, AF/KL
Posts: 252
I've read a few blog articles that they predict each VX Elevate point will be worth 2 Mileageplan miles. Hopefully this will be the case as I have orphan VX elevate points.
trigleek is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 10:48 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,756
Originally Posted by trigleek View Post
I've read a few blog articles that they predict each VX Elevate point will be worth 2 Mileageplan miles. Hopefully this will be the case as I have orphan VX elevate points.
While I have no special insights, that would be an awfully generous conversion ratio. I see no compelling reason why AS as the purchaser would want to offer anything above a 1:1 conversion.
Visconti is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 11:41 am
  #25  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: RDU/CHI
Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG S/KIC, NCR EC
Posts: 12,246
Originally Posted by Visconti View Post
While I have no special insights, that would be an awfully generous conversion ratio. I see no compelling reason why AS as the purchaser would want to offer anything above a 1:1 conversion.
I can envision a 1:1 based conversion and then some sort of flight-based incentive program to get the 2:1 conversion within six months.
ElmhurstNick is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 12:23 pm
  #26  
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,335
Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
I very much doubt the announced takeover of Elevate by MP will occur before this time next year.
It won't happen before, and the combined plan won't start before 2018.
dayone is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 12:29 pm
  #27  
Moderator, Trip Reports
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 6km East of EPAYE
Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Posts: 9,578
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
They may follow Delta, United, American and have a revenue based FF program.
I disagree. AS was really explicit about this in their post recent call and clearly this merger was in the works. I think the re-vamp of FC along with the rejection of a spend based FFP are glimpses into a ASVX future.
Madone59 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 4:07 pm
  #28  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: East Coast
Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY, HILTON DIAMOND
Posts: 10,285
Originally Posted by VibeGuy View Post
Their F cabins leave with empty seats because short of some massive operational screwup, there is no non-pay/non-redemptive way into F.

I buy VX F over AS F on SEA-LAX because it's better hard product and at least parity soft product.
Yes, but VX has small F cabins of just 8 seats and in my experience, mostly FLL-LAX/SFO and JFK/SFO, these flights have been entirely full up front.
fly747first is offline  
Old Apr 5, 16, 5:58 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: An Island Paradise Near Seattle
Posts: 498
Originally Posted by fly747first View Post
Yes, but VX has small F cabins of just 8 seats and in my experience, mostly FLL-LAX/SFO and JFK/SFO, these flights have been entirely full up front.
compare this to AS F, where they never go out with an empty seat but the average spread over full Y that the average F pax pays to get up there is probably negative.

VX extracts incremental revenue or a corresponding reduction in FF liabilities from virtually every butt in that cabin on every flight every day. AS cannot say the thing about their F, largely because their hard product is a screw at list price - I believe a majority of the seats are sold at a reduction from even Y fares. People are willing to do it on VX because the seat is better, the catering is better, the IFE is better and the price premium/what you get ratio is better.

Eastern Airlines would have been the most profitable airline in the world at the time of their demise had they had two more full-Y pax on every flight. VX similarly saw the bottom-line value of attracting a few pax who willingly pay for premium cabin service rather than demand comps as a condition of their fealty.
VibeGuy is online now  
Old Apr 5, 16, 6:28 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,756
Originally Posted by VibeGuy View Post
VX extracts incremental revenue or a corresponding reduction in FF liabilities from virtually every butt in that cabin on every flight every day. AS cannot say the thing about their F, largely because their hard product is a screw at list price - I believe a majority of the seats are sold at a reduction from even Y fares. People are willing to do it on VX because the seat is better, the catering is better, the IFE is better and the price premium/what you get ratio is better.
Couldn't agree more.

Non transcon domestic F fares are a waste of money on any carrier other than VX. At least on VX, the F class experience isn't watered down by all the free upgrades.

Currently, makes no sense to pay for any non-trascon Domestic F, since all the carriers will give them all away. I'd rather fly just fly coach than be the only idiot in F who actually paid for his seat.
Visconti is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: