Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Could be Next After EK? [Award changes]

Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler

Is anyone else as scared as me that AS will devalue their award chart significantly more, specifically the Cathay awards?

I hope I'm wrong, but Ive always defended Alaska (esp against DL) as the good guys, but after what they did in the dead of night for EK awards I'm getting more pessimistic about the airline and their MileagePlan program as the days go by.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
There was a ton of discussion in this thread about bloggers. That discussion has all been moved to a forum where that subject is on-topic: the External Miles & Points Resources forum. It can be viewed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...valuation.html

Let's keep this thread on-topic for the OP's actual question about (speculative) future devaluations of AS miles. Please direct all discussion about the effect of bloggers on the program over in the above-linked thread.

jackal
Moderator, Alaska Airlines
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The obvious ones would be AA (to match their current chart) and CX.

HU doesn't look too ridiculous given their cheap J sales (this will probably where I'll end up if CX/AA go into the stratosphere). KE and BA are pretty pricey already. DL/KL/AF seem to be market priced.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
CX for sure no doubt. Then QF just for good measure.

Last edited by YoungSoloTraveler; Apr 4, 2016 at 3:18 am
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

From what I read, it was my understanding the de-valuation was EK complaining to AS that too many AS members were redeeming F on EK flights. So it wasn't AS who wanted to devaluation. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably won't do anymore huge devaluation unless otherwise pressured. Their stellar MileagePlan program is what is keeping them competitive after all.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
From what I read, it was my understanding the de-valuation was EK complaining to AS that too many AS members were redeeming F on EK flights. So it wasn't AS who wanted to devaluation. If I had to guess, I'd say they probably won't do anymore huge devaluation unless otherwise pressured. Their stellar MileagePlan program is what is keeping them competitive after all.
Earn your miles and spend them. Some of us have been caught with large balances that could not be reasonably burned prior to changes, even when announced. Redemption cost does not go down.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Never thought I'd be saying this ..but yay for the BA YQ charges. Yeah ...it's several hundred bucks each way in J or F ...but ...given the amount of availability, there is probably little incentive to raise the chart.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 3:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by flytoeat
Earn your miles and spend them. Some of us have been caught with large balances that could not be reasonably burned prior to changes, even when announced. Redemption cost does not go down.
Easier said than done. Finding awards with the AS program is not an easy proposition.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 5:58 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ou81two
Easier said than done. Finding awards with the AS program is not an easy proposition.
I always use the BA award tool to search BA and CX, and then call AS to book.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by ou81two
Hasn't been too difficult for me. CX F was lovely. Looking forward to BA F in a couple months.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:23 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I am worried this is a sign for the future. The leverage of the partnership will probably be weighed against Alaska in most situations. Alaska needs these partners more than the partners need Alaska. As a result, it's a one sided negotiation when it comes to the partners. Lather, rinse, repeat sadly.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I am worried this is a sign for the future. The leverage of the partnership will probably be weighed against Alaska in most situations. Alaska needs these partners more than the partners need Alaska. As a result, it's a one sided negotiation when it comes to the partners. Lather, rinse, repeat sadly.
Meanwhile, AS doesn't have the decency to lower Icelandair awards. Saga Class US-KEF is 50,000 miles one-way for a domestic F seat without even a leg rest, beyond absurd.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fly747first
Meanwhile, AS doesn't have the decency to lower Icelandair awards. Saga Class US-KEF is 50,000 miles one-way for a domestic F seat without even a leg rest, beyond absurd.
Nobody is forcing you to redeem it.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Nobody is forcing you to redeem it.
I would never, as that would be a complete waste, but my whole points is that AS' excuse is quite bogus because they have other awards that are highly overpriced.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by AKSteveB
Never thought I'd be saying this ..but yay for the BA YQ charges. Yeah ...it's several hundred bucks each way in J or F ...but ...given the amount of availability, there is probably little incentive to raise the chart.
LOL...right, the irony! Plenty of F availability for multiple seats on all sorts of trans Atlantic flights!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.