Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
The problem maybe you have gotten a newer agent which I have before. I would simply bid them a god day and then call back hoping to get Seattle call center
Well, she ended up fixing my flights, but now there's also some extra miles in my account
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by invalyd
Well, she ended up fixing my flights, but now there's also some extra miles in my account
There you go !! I have seen over the last six months or so a number of new agents or cross over agents on the partner desk and for the most part they really try. After awhile I have found that within a few short minutes of talking they level of experience. I have had some that just type it in say nope and that's it. Oh well.

Still the best FF around and I have many seat miles invested !!!
Old May 14, 2016, 5:09 am

Buying an Emirates F seat with Alaska miles

Not sure if this is better off here or in the Emirates thread, but lets say I want to buy an Emirates F seat with Alaska miles that I purchased...

Are there any special conditions to doing this?

-Can I still select a seat in advance?

-If I just want to buy the F seat for my outbound flight, must I book the return flight seperately or can I book the round trip together?

-Is the car service still included?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like such an easy scam to get a F seat on Emirates for a fraction of the price...Am i missing something?
Old May 14, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Recent changes to Mileage Plan award redemptions on Emirates got lots of comments in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...no-notice.html
Old May 14, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Rydad1
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems like such an easy scam to get a F seat on Emirates for a fraction of the price...Am i missing something?
Scam isn't the correct word. That would involve deceit. Its just not highly advertised. But with the new jacked up rates not sure its such a great deal anymore
Old May 14, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
CDKing I don't think he was talking about that, I think OP was referring to getting to fly EK F in general.

You are wrong. Not only did AS recently raise the award prices but using miles to fly, any award seat whether it's AS Y or EK F is not a scam. The airlines value the miles and set the prices, using AS miles isn't a secret back door into first class.

Everything else you need can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...6-edition.html
Old May 14, 2016, 9:43 am
Community Director Emerita

You have to find award availability which is far more challenging than simply buying the ticket outright.

I encourage you to read the thread that madone59 referenced.
Old May 14, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
You have to find award availability which is far more challenging than simply buying the ticket outright.

I encourage you to read the thread that madone59 referenced.
Having been flying for way too many years and gone through many variations of FF programs AS is as good as it gets. Sure EK awards were doubled but that for the most part came out of the hackers and scammers, not that AS did not bring it on themselves. It was a great deal and I managed to get four FC flights out of it. Having said that I now have a "new fare" flights coming up and that's fine with me as well.

Options you can pay on average 700 to 800 and 60K miles or so on BA for example to get to Africa or pay the EK 120K in Biz. Depends on how you value your miles and how many you fly a year. For us that have flat butts and fly 100K or more miles are not an issue, it's more about availability, Example I am taking BA FC west coast to JNB 80K miles per seat and $821.00 not bad. Actually I am going to the local AMEX office in CPT and see what a paid ticket is back. With the RA where it is conversion wise I can get a biz for apprx 2400 not bad, and that would also give me 12,500 miles.

Do there are many options without the bloggers/hackers/scammers

Just saying
Old May 15, 2016, 5:38 pm

Are you able to select seats at the time of purchase if you use Alaska miles for an Emirates F seat? It doesn't seem to present that option when I walked through the booking process on the Alaska website...
Old May 15, 2016, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Are you able to select seats at the time of purchase if you use Alaska miles for an Emirates F seat? It doesn't seem to present that option when I walked through the booking process on the Alaska website...
Your confirmation email from Alaska should include the Emirates record locator. Using that you can select seats on Emirates.com

Also with reference to the above, you do NOT get car service on Alaska reward bookings. Used to be able to, but that perk went away.
Old May 15, 2016, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Your confirmation email from Alaska should include the Emirates record locator. Using that you can select seats on Emirates.com

Also with reference to the above, you do NOT get car service on Alaska reward bookings. Used to be able to, but that perk went away.
Gotcha. So there's no way to see what seats are available before you actually book it?
Old May 15, 2016, 6:38 pm

Gotcha. So there's no way to see what seats are available before you actually book it?
NOPE you need to book then go to EK
Old May 15, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49
NOPE you need to book then go to EK
Make a dummy booking on EK's website, view the seatmap on EF, some OTAs show seatmaps at the time of booking too...
Old May 15, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Make a dummy booking on EK's website, view the seatmap on EF, some OTAs show seatmaps at the time of booking too...
actually just tried to do a dummy booking on EK's website but no seat selection page showed up it just took me right to the payment page.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
actually just tried to do a dummy booking on EK's website but no seat selection page showed up it just took me right to the payment page.
Do you have an EF subscription then?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.