Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 10:19 am

Yes but the ticket is issued by Alaska under Alaska's fare class, not by Emirates. Why would Emirates' allowance be relevant here?

Emirates claims: "I checked your ticket and there's no baggage allowance included there. From my experience, I rarely see that there's no baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket. The baggage allowance depends on the specific fare conditions the issuing agent used to issue your ticket. In this case, it was Alaska Airlines who issued your ticket based on their fare code 'EKDMEO/PAWD'. Alaska need to reissue your ticket with the baggage allowance included so we could see this on our side. This is to avoid any issues at the airport check-in desk"

I just want to avoid a situation where I go to the airport and they don't let me check-in my bag, and then I'm stuck on hold there waiting to speak to someone at Alaska...
Old Jun 28, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by akashbr
Yes but the ticket is issued by Alaska under Alaska's fare class, not by Emirates.
Did you actually look at your Alaska Confirmation for your award ticket? Somehow I don't think so. I have an AS partner award on EK in Business Class and my AS confirmation email shows it booked in Class D which is the EK award class for a Business award, not the Alaska Airlines saver award class for Business/First.

Why would Emirates' allowance be relevant here?
Because you are traveling in Business Class on Emirates and their policy gives you the baggage allowance.

Emirates claims: "I checked your ticket and there's no baggage allowance included there. From my experience, I rarely see that there's no baggage allowance mentioned on the ticket. The baggage allowance depends on the specific fare conditions the issuing agent used to issue your ticket. In this case, it was Alaska Airlines who issued your ticket based on their fare code 'EKDMEO/PAWD'. Alaska need to reissue your ticket with the baggage allowance included so we could see this on our side. This is to avoid any issues at the airport check-in desk"

I just want to avoid a situation where I go to the airport and they don't let me check-in my bag, and then I'm stuck on hold there waiting to speak to someone at Alaska...
The Emirates customer service person you are talking to on the phone does not work at the airport and obviously has no clue how it works other than looking at the incorrect display in the online booking. People are fallible. How many different agents did you ask about this? You might get different answers if you talk to multiple agents (HUCA) but it does not matter. The policy is stated on their website and the airport check-in staff know what the policy is. There have been a few others who have expressed concerns on the forum over this bug prior to travel. I have never seen anyone post after travel that it was a problem. If you are not comfortable with the evidence then you will need to find a way to change it such that you are comfortable.

If it makes you feel any better I am in a similar situation to you. I have an Business EK award with a stopover in DXB. I changed the date on one of the segments and now EK's display of the online booking does not reflect the correct baggage allowance for the segment with the changed date. I am not worried at all.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I booked an F award right before the deadline out of SFO. Would it be possible to add an AS segment to SFO?

my hunch tells me NO since it would require a re-issue which would not be possible since AS does not have access to EK anymore...thoughts?
Old Sep 15, 2021, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by atcanobbio
I booked an F award right before the deadline out of SFO. Would it be possible to add an AS segment to SFO?

my hunch tells me NO since it would require a re-issue which would not be possible since AS does not have access to EK anymore...thoughts?
I suspect you are right. This would require a new ticket so it almost certainly would not be allowed but you should call and ask. Miracles sometimes happen.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:09 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by atcanobbio

I had an EK segment downgraded from F to C and when I called in the rep informed that there is nothing that can be done with these tickets. They’re honoring them as is but unable to make any changes regardless of the circumstances since there is no longer any partnership. You can certainly try but I wouldn’t expect success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.