Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Mar 30, 2021, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
What aircraft are they using on the DXB-MLE segment? The aircraft might not have a First Cabin. The flight, at 1885 miles, is shorter than SEA-BNA and a tad longer than SEA-ORD.
That's not the issue, but to answer the question, a 777-300ER. In fact, I saw a press release that said it was running the Game Changing First plane on 1x/day frequency back in early 2020, but doubt that's still the case. There is scattered single F availability, but the issue really is: why can you not combine EK F and EK J flights on the same (First) award with Alaska? Is this just an Alaska limitation? Emirates? IT issue?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:24 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by seadan
That's not the issue, but to answer the question, a 777-300ER. In fact, I saw a press release that said it was running the Game Changing First plane on 1x/day frequency back in early 2020, but doubt that's still the case. There is scattered single F availability, but the issue really is: why can you not combine EK F and EK J flights on the same (First) award with Alaska? Is this just an Alaska limitation? Emirates? IT issue?
Interesting. I've never redeemed an EK award, so have no practical experience with it either. I tried everything I know, including multi-city, stopovers, etc. and I'm hitting the same wall you did.

The only thing I can think of, and it's definitely not going to be easy to achieve, is to try and see if you can get an International Partner Desk Agent to try and long sell it. There are reports here of it being done (not necessarily with EK, that I recall), but they are very few and far between.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Are there any restrictions on combining First/Business on EK on a first class award? I'm looking at flights to MLE via DXB, and while I can find First availability on the US-DXB segment, the DXB-MLE segment is always pricing out in Coach as there is no First availability. However, there are some flights with Business availability, but they never seem to combine with the flights in First. For example, in the image below, EK660 has seats in business, but won't price out with EK230 in F, while the two prior flights only have availability in Y and do price out together.

AS reservations says they can only book what the website allows to be combined. Wondering if there is any way to force this combination, or if not, what specific restriction prevents them from being combined on a First award?
Strange. I do see most days I checked do not have Business availability DXB-MLE but even when I find one and plug it into a multi-city search I do not get a First/Business mixed itin returned. For the couple of months I checked I only ever saw 1F award DXB-MLE. If you are OK to split 1F+1J on DXB-MLE I would play it like this:

Book 1F SEA-MLE all the way through (on a day with 2F + 1J SEA-DXB and 1F+1J DXB-MLE so you can book a second award). Book SEA-MLE in J all the way through for the second person. After ticketing call back and have them check for availability for 1F SEA-DXB (without mentioning your exiting award). When the agent confirms SEA-DXB is available in F tell them, great, you want to change the SEA-DXB segment in your J award to F. This way they cannot deny that they see the award on the website. My experience has been that if you can show the AS agents that something shows on the website your odds are much higher to get them to figure out a way to book it which is why I suggest doing it this way. If they see it on the website and cannot figure out how to swap the F segment for the J segment ask the agent if she can ask a supervisor for help. It is marginally possible but not overly likely that there is a married segment issue with F+J but I tend to doubt it since I cannot get this to show event using multi-city with a stopover. If there were a married segment issue you could get around that by creating a stopover in DXB for an extra day (since married segments does not apply when you have a stopover of more than 24 hours). This seems more like as AS IT bug (of which we have seen quite a few over the years).
minz56 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA1K
i found SFO-DXB-SIN in F for mid february. i'm going to lock it in and if for some reason, COVID is still grounding US travelers i'll just cancel and get my miles back. figured why not.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm almost positive it's a website issue on Alaska's part because I'm seeing the same sort of thing with BA awards - I can find F seats to London but if I want to continue on from there, the F seat disappears as an option and I'm only offered J for both sectors. It might just be a temporary glitch in preparation for joining oneworld tomorrow (and ending F awards on EK) but I had similar difficulties a few years ago trying to combine the two cabins on a JL booking!
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, *A Gold
Looks like F awards are permanently gone now. :/
Old Apr 1, 2021, 12:33 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by xfisgsm
Looks like F awards are permanently gone now. :/
Yes ... I checked QF today and they still show F availability (which was expected).
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott

Last night, I was about to pull the trigger on this "shower in the sky" itinerary for February but then realized I was just suffering from FOMO and closed my browser. I have flown F on the A380 only once between DXB-JFK and it was a fantastic flight! There's always a flash sale that will happen down the road...
haroon145 likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi all,

Im looking for EK J space SYD-NYC 9/18 - 9/20, currently not showing any space (Y, J or F n/a).

I see plenty of space MLE-JFK in that date range. Can take a cheap/easy domestic hop up but having come from Melbourne a few days before would prefer not to!

any tips for getting something out of SYD? Flight is bookable for cash so assume it is running (as much as anyone can assume in the current climate).

Thanks!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mosfet
Hi all,

Im looking for EK J space SYD-NYC 9/18 - 9/20, currently not showing any space (Y, J or F n/a).

I see plenty of space MLE-JFK in that date range. Can take a cheap/easy domestic hop up but having come from Melbourne a few days before would prefer not to!

any tips for getting something out of SYD? Flight is bookable for cash so assume it is running (as much as anyone can assume in the current climate).

Thanks!
There is availability from MEL on 9/18 and 9/19. Not a bad alternative given that SYD/MEL is a relatively short hop.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by minz56
There is availability from MEL on 9/18 and 9/19. Not a bad alternative given that SYD/MEL is a relatively short hop.
100% and will take it if I have to! Ill be traveling with 3x heavy check in cases so it would be a lot more convenient to leave from SYD but beggars cant be choosers!
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
100% and will take it if I have to! Ill be traveling with 3x heavy check in cases so it would be a lot more convenient to leave from SYD but beggars cant be choosers!
Didn't you mean, "baggers can't be choosers?"

I would book from MEL but continue to watch for SYD availability. You can always change it later either online of by calling in if it opens up.

James
Old Apr 3, 2021, 11:12 pm

I would book it right now. AS appears to have only one seat available ex MEL on either 9/18 or 9/19 and it wouldn't take much for those to disappear. If you book now you will be covered by the Peace of Mind waiver (now extended for bookings to 30 April), so you would have no cancellation fee if you need to cancel it.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Didn't you mean, "baggers can't be choosers?"

I would book from MEL but continue to watch for SYD availability. You can always change it later either online of by calling in if it opens up.

James
Originally Posted by minz56
I would book it right now. AS appears to have only one seat available ex MEL on either 9/18 or 9/19 and it wouldn't take much for those to disappear. If you book now you will be covered by the Peace of Mind waiver (now extended for bookings to 30 April), so you would have no cancellation fee if you need to cancel it.
Legends, all great info. Will book today and keep an eye out !
Old Apr 24, 2021, 12:28 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, AC 25K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by arjunv93
No stopover. It appears as 2 pieces up to 50lbs when I go to manage my booking on the EK website/app.
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Emirates says I can only carry 23kg (2 Bags) on EK J ticket bought on AS miles? But regular J tickets allow for 32kg (2 Bags). Any idea why?
I have an award YYZ-DXB-DAR in J also showing 2 x 23kg in the booking on EK's website. What was the resolution in your cases?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.