Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coffee18
I'm pretty sure you're right as to why it errors out on the website. I guess I'll have to call in to see if the rules allow for such a routing.

EDIT: The SIN-MEL leg is not the same flight number as any of the DXB-SIN legs.
The routing should be fine. Please let us know if you are successful. I anticipate the absence of an EK SIN-MEL award will be the killer.

You can fly DXB-JFK/EWR via MXP/ATH with a layover but not a stopover, at least online. Again, The middle East to Europe is not a valid EK award in MP.

James
eponymous_coward and coffee18 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Well, some fresh news that I welcome. President Trump says UAE to open diplomatic ties with Israel: https://apnews.com/abcb0ed9a84e2d3da7d87c28641ccc21

A joint statement from the U.S., the UAE and Israel was issued immediately after Trump’s tweet. It said delegations would meet in the coming weeks to sign deals on direct flights, security, telecommunications, energy, tourism and health care. The two countries also will partner on fighting the coronavirus pandemic.

Would love to have the option (if both remain partners) to fly US-DXB-TLV/ETM or vise versa. Hopefully now AS doesn't drop LY or EK, not that I believe LY will get rights to fly to DXB (not sure how they would avoid most of the airspace between the two countries, unless EK gets rights over Saudi airspace) or have a sustainable business model for the foreseeable future.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:46 pm

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...tners/emirates

Book your First Class award travel with Emirates by March 31, 2021. Beginning April 1, 2021, Emirates will no longer allow partner access to First Class award bookings. Mileage Plan members can continue to redeem on the Emirates’ award-winning Economy Class and Business Class.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by AndyKehn

Book your First Class award travel with Emirates by March 31, 2021. Beginning April 1, 2021, Emirates will no longer allow partner access to First Class award bookings. Mileage Plan members can continue to redeem on the Emirates’ award-winning Economy Class and Business Class.
Interesting that this change goes into effect the same day AS officially joins OneWorld.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 7:12 am
vgc

Originally Posted by AndyKehn

At least they give us the courtesy of warning us ahead of time.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
All of the EK F flights are being operated on the Boeing 777's. Although it is a very nice experience, it is just not the same as on the A380. Who knows if or when those will fly again? I am not sure i would pay the premium for F over J, which is light years ahead of any US based airline's F offering IMHO.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AS
Personally, EK J was a great experience. True, it was an A 380. Best 17 hours in the air......so far😉
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AC 50K, Bonvoy PE; Hilton Diamond
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but I have a MileagePlan award booking in F on EK -- FRA-DXB-JFK. The FRA-DXB leg is on the 8pm flight but I'd like to go on the earlier flight at 2:30pm. Does EK allow for same day standby on an earlier flight if I'm: (a) on an award ticket; (b) that was issued by Alaskan?
Old Dec 14, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Sam_AE
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question, but I have a MileagePlan award booking in F on EK -- FRA-DXB-JFK. The FRA-DXB leg is on the 8pm flight but I'd like to go on the earlier flight at 2:30pm. Does EK allow for same day standby on an earlier flight if I'm: (a) on an award ticket; (b) that was issued by Alaskan?
Your question would be better answered in the Emirates forum. Alaska will not be able to do standby on an Emirates itinerary. If there is current award availability on the flights you want then AS can change your ticket for you in advance. The same day standby question is a question for Emirates. It does not matter who the partner is. All partners should be the same. What matters is how Emirates handles same day partner standby which would be better answered in the Emirates forum. On the day of travel I doubt whether or not it is a partner ticket matters. Once you check-in Emirates should have control of the ticket and can, if they choose, change your flights, but I do not know what their policy is.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Once you check-in Emirates should have control of the ticket and can, if they choose, change your flights, but I do not know what their policy is.
With EK, you can check-in 48 hours before departure. That should give additional opportunity to make a request.

James
Old Dec 14, 2020, 3:48 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BOB W
All of the EK F flights are being operated on the Boeing 777's. Although it is a very nice experience, it is just not the same as on the A380. Who knows if or when those will fly again? I am not sure i would pay the premium for F over J, which is light years ahead of any US based airline's F offering IMHO.
Emirates’ A380s currently fly to Cairo, Amman, Paris, London, Guangzhou, Manchester and Moscow, and service has recently increased to four daily A380s on LHR and daily flights to Moscow. At a minimum, the LHR flights offer F.

Once one gets over the novelty of the shower, some people prefer F on the 777. Fewer seats often means more personal service, especially if both planes are full.

NB. The new Premium Economy cabin should be available on a few flights in the coming months.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Once one gets over the novelty of the shower, some people prefer F on the 777. Fewer seats often means more personal service, especially if both planes are full.
I wouldn't consider the showers to be a novelty. My last F flight LAX-DXB had 5/14 in F & I had two showers. I would be interested in experiencing the newest 6 F iteration. J on the 777-300ER is an awkward cabin in a 2-3-2 configuration with nowhere to stretch and feels a little claustrophobic. J on the 777-200LR is 2-2-2, with no centre overhead bins is much more open and airy with a self-serve bar area with snacks.

Originally Posted by dayone
NB. The new Premium Economy cabin should be available on a few flights in the coming months.
It will be interesting to see if the new PE cabin will be bookable as an AS award.

James
Old Dec 14, 2020, 7:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I would be interested in experiencing the newest 6 F iteration.
Yes, looks amazing.

Last edited by dayone; Dec 14, 2020 at 8:13 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 8:16 pm

The newest iteration is a 6 cabin, 2 row 1-1-1 configuration. They are fully enclosed floor to ceiling suites. The two centre suites have "virtual" windows that are fed live video from the outside. The seating chart looks a little strange as 2F is directly behind 1E.

James

Last edited by dayone; Dec 14, 2020 at 8:36 pm Reason: Remove deleted quote.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
It's gorgeous. For those interested, SFO777 has a great recent trip report featuring this cabin:

36 hours in Dubai via Emirates Incredible New First Class Suites

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.