Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
My flight, EWK 210, JFK-ATH on Oct. 31 is still showing. I will keep an eye on it for any changes. ATH-EWR-SEA-ANC on Nov. 21 is showing with EK flight 209 available.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
i just got off the phone with alaska. i had an EK F award for our honeymoon in november that i made a change to last night. woke up today and still hadn't seen a confirmation, and didn't see the flight any longer in my alaska or emirates accounts.

alaska said that emirates is canceling all US flights and that this started about an hour and a half ago. has anyone else heard anything? this is kind of hard to believe and i asked a bunch of clarifying questions about what his statement meant but he was adamant that this is what was happening. the agent said he could no longer see EK availability for an US destination for any dates.
Also, I still see Emirates award availability on the AS website when searching.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by pmfc
Also, I still see Emirates award availability on the AS website when searching.
i mentioned this to the agent when i was on the phone with him. i also to a cash booking on the emirates site all the way to the payment page. i was on hold for a while while he talked to someone at the partner desk and this is what he said the partner desk said. then when he tried to bring up availability nothing showed.

now we are without flights at all. really sucks.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ahcjar103
i mentioned this to the agent when i was on the phone with him. i also to a cash booking on the emirates site all the way to the payment page. i was on hold for a while while he talked to someone at the partner desk and this is what he said the partner desk said. then when he tried to bring up availability nothing showed.

now we are without flights at all. really sucks.
Yikes. I'm very afraid. But I imagine if Emirates cancelled all flights to US for the rest of the year that would be pretty massive news. Did you try to HUCA to see if you get a different answer? Maybe try to take advantage of that Qatar rebooking scheme. That's my back-up plan.
Old May 19, 2020, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by pmfc
Yikes. I'm very afraid. But I imagine if Emirates cancelled all flights to US for the rest of the year that would be pretty massive news. Did you try to HUCA to see if you get a different answer? Maybe try to take advantage of that Qatar rebooking scheme. That's my back-up plan.
HUCA is what i'm trying now, and this person is telling me that a schedule change happened which didn't leave enough time in DXB to connect to our next flight to colombo so our tickets were canceled.

except..... our connection was 3 days later. i really dont know what to believe now.

UPDATE: to follow-up on this, finally got a supervisor to look through everything who admitted there was a system screwup, the tickets were canceled, and that she couldn't do anything except help us book something new. said thanks, then did searching on my own found an itinerary that worked and booked. modified that a couple days later to something even better.

i have noticed though, that the day after i modified EK seemed to pull all biz/first availability through AS for about 3 days, then some came back for a 7-10 days, and now not only are biz/first not showing but economy as well. so not sure what is happening there.

Last edited by ahcjar103; Jun 2, 2020 at 10:31 am Reason: updating with resolution
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:53 pm

Programs: Alaska
EK business/first class gone?

problem in EK or AS.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by freed0m
EK business/first class gone?

problem in EK or AS.
What do other partners show? If it is EK pulling availability it is a feature not a problem.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
What do other partners show? If it is EK pulling availability it is a feature not a problem.

at minimum, QF still shows first/business class for JFK-DXB, but none on AS.
Old Jun 2, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA, AS
at minimum, QF still shows first/business class for JFK-DXB, but none on AS.
There is your answer. AS either has a problem or has purposefully decided to block inventory. They have recently started blocking some JL inventory so this looks like more AS blocking. Contact AS and report it as a problem but I fear it might be the new normal.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:34 pm

Restored now. Both business and first class shown now.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:01 am

Are stopovers at the 5th freedom location allowed, i.e. JFK-DXB-SIN (stopover)-MEL?

EDIT: It doesn't seem allowed on the website, but wasn't sure if this was a rule cited or a call-in situation.

Last edited by coffee18; Jun 15, 2020 at 8:23 am
Old Jun 15, 2020, 8:07 am

Restored now. Both business and first class shown now.
Some dates are still not available. For instance, if I search for a business class ticket from BOS to DXB between 9/4 and 9/12 on the ES website, I see Business Saver tickets available. However, AS miles don't have any option for ES business tickets until 9/14.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by coffee18
Are stopovers at the 5th freedom location allowed, i.e. JFK-DXB-SIN (stopover)-MEL?

EDIT: It doesn't seem allowed on the website, but wasn't sure if this was a rule cited or a call-in situation.
I think the issue is that you can't redeem SIN-MEL on EK with AS Mileage Plan and that would be required to "price" an award with a stopover in SIN, if it was possible. Award flights between Asia & Australia are only available on CX and from HKG only.

Furthermore, if the DXB-SIN-MEL flight is a one-stop direct flight with one flight number you couldn't split it up to fly the two segments on different dates creating a stopover.

James
Old Jun 15, 2020, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I think the issue is that you can't redeem SIN-MEL on EK with AS Mileage Plan and that would be required to "price" an award with a stopover in SIN, if it was possible. Award flights between Asia & Australia are only available on CX and from HKG only.

Furthermore, if the DXB-SIN-MEL flight is a one-stop direct flight with one flight number you couldn't split it up to fly the two segments on different dates creating a stopover.

James
I'm pretty sure you're right as to why it errors out on the website. I guess I'll have to call in to see if the rules allow for such a routing.

EDIT: The SIN-MEL leg is not the same flight number as any of the DXB-SIN legs.

Last edited by coffee18; Jun 15, 2020 at 12:30 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by coffee18
I'm pretty sure you're right as to why it errors out on the website. I guess I'll have to call in to see if the rules allow for such a routing.

EDIT: The SIN-MEL leg is not the same flight number as any of the DXB-SIN legs.
Historically, AS only allows stopovers in their own hub, North America gateways (important note: NOT Hawaii), and partner hubs. There's a rather famous incident of someone abusing the AS award engine to do a long routing on EK that hit a lot of fifth freedom flights. The guy blogged about it, EK threw a fit and insisted AS fix it, AS jacked up award prices to prevent that from happening with no notice (and then backpedaled, but the award prices still got jacked up anyway- they were quite reasonable util about 2016).

Emirates awards on AS devalued with no notice

So good luck getting something to ticket. Going to play the HUCA game to find the clueless phone rep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.