Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Metanoia
Was just updating the wiki (I am a regular over at the EK forum and also AS elite), and was wondering - what about Mexico City being eligible for AS awards? It's technically North America, and EK flies MEX-BCN-DXB
Go look at the award chart page, plug in "Mexico" and "Middle East". You'll see EK listed.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Go look at the award chart page, plug in "Mexico" and "Middle East". You'll see EK listed.
Just like booking BA to/from MEX!

James
Old Jan 30, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP, EK Silver, Bonvoy Plat
Lol, that's what I get for not researching
Old Feb 3, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
Blog posts suggest that there is good chances of EK releasing award travel availability closer to departure.
https://thepointsguy.com/news/emirat...ew-777-suites/
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....e-award-space/

I am looking for an EK flight with the current following availability (O class that I need is zeroed out)

F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 H0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X9

What you do you think are the chances that they will open up space?
Old Feb 21, 2020, 10:48 am

All emirates award space stops on Dec 31st 2020. Nothing shows up for 2021 yet. Any idea when they will open up that space?
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by captainamerica
All emirates award space stops on Dec 31st 2020. Nothing shows up for 2021 yet. Any idea when they will open up that space?
i’m not sure where you get this idea. I used Alaska Miles to book 1st class on the A380 from Houston to Seychelles for January 2021
oneworld82 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by captainamerica
Uh, right now? This was literally the first random date and destination in 2021 I plugged in.

Old Feb 22, 2020, 12:47 pm

Uh, right now? This was literally the first random date and destination in 2021 I plugged in.

flights to dxb show up but i cant seem to find any return flights from dxb to lax,sfo, or seattle. not even economy shows up so I assume they are blocked out for now?

Edit NM. most dates have 0 flights but im finding some random dates that have availability.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Just booked MUC-DXB for May 13th, with ensuing DXB-IAD later in October. A380 on both legs. Very happy!
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Hypothetical worries

The wife and I are flying from MLE to DXB to YYZ in EK F class all booked with AS miles in May.

The flight from MLE leaves at 9:10 am (EK flight 657)

We have a 45 minute seaplane flight which will most likely leave the resort around 6-7 am.

What would happen if there are mechanical issues or bad weather which causes us to miss the 9:10 am flight from MLE. I am assuming we would be classified as a “no show” which would automatically cancel the flight from DXB to YYZ. Of course, we would call EK or AS as soon as we were aware of a delay. (Do we call EK or AS if there is a delay that would cause a miss-connection??) Would EK or AS charge a fee and re-book us in F for a later flight from MLE to DXB or would we need to pay full price for an F ticket if the reward space is not available? Our layover in DXB is 15 hours so there is quite a bit of leeway in terms of time on the second leg. If the weather forecast for the morning of our departure is bad, would it be worth flying to MLE on an afternoon flight the day before and spend the night in Male to decrease the risk of a miss-connection?
Old Feb 23, 2020, 1:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by Moflav
The wife and I are flying from MLE to DXB to YYZ in EK F class all booked with AS miles in May.

We have a 45 minute seaplane flight which will most likely leave the resort around 6-7 am.

What would happen if there are mechanical issues or bad weather which causes us to miss the 9:10 am flight from MLE. I am assuming we would be classified as a “no show” which would automatically cancel the flight from DXB to YYZ. Of course, we would call EK or AS as soon as we were aware of a delay. (Do we call EK or AS if there is a delay that would cause a miss-connection??) Would EK or AS charge a fee and re-book us in F for a later flight from MLE to DXB or would we need to pay full price for an F ticket if the reward space is not available? Our layover in DXB is 15 hours so there is quite a bit of leeway in terms of time on the second leg. If the weather forecast for the morning of our departure is bad, would it be worth flying to MLE on an afternoon flight the day before and spend the night in Male to decrease the risk of a miss-connection?
I personally would not take the chance of missing the flight. You need to be at the airport early anyway, so fly in the afternoon or evening before, get a good nights rest and enjoy your flight worry free.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold

I'm assuming that your flight to YYZ is the one that leaves 3:55 the following early morning. I'm also assuming that you chose to fly out of MLE at 9:10 a.m. with a 15+ hour layover because the later flights had no F availability because even the last flight out of MLE at 10:55 p.m. would still get you to DXB close to 2 hours prior to your YYZ departure which is enough time.

Personally, I would fly the 4 hours to DXB in a downgraded class (J or even Y of all horrors!) on a later flight (preferably the 6:20 p.m. and if not the 10:55 p.m.) and stay at the resort another night rather than staying at any hotel near MLE airport. I recently actually did it - Y to DXB and then F to JFK and survived completely intact . But that's me; others might have a different opinion though.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:33 pm

This happened to me a couple years back. I storm came in the Maldives so no boats or seaplanes were operating. Had a paid Emirates flight that evening which of coarse I missed. Emirates would change the ticket only with normal change/cancellation rules. (This was the MLE-JFK Y mistake fare). Flew to Sri Lanka the following day to wait for an Emirates J/F award flight to open up back to the States which I think was about 5 days later.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, United Silver, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
I'm assuming that your flight to YYZ is the one that leaves 3:55 the following early morning. I'm also assuming that you chose to fly out of MLE at 9:10 a.m. with a 15+ hour layover because the later flights had no F availability because even the last flight out of MLE at 10:55 p.m. would still get you to DXB close to 2 hours prior to your YYZ departure which is enough time.

Personally, I would fly the 4 hours to DXB in a downgraded class (J or even Y of all horrors!) on a later flight (preferably the 6:20 p.m. and if not the 10:55 p.m.) and stay at the resort another night rather than staying at any hotel near MLE airport. I recently actually did it - Y to DXB and then F to JFK and survived completely intact . But that's me; others might have a different opinion though.
Yes, the 9:10 am and 3:55 am flight were the only choices presented for the AS awards seats. On out last trip to the Maldives, we did the four hour flight in Y from MLE to DXB and F to YYZ. The issue is trying to change an award ticket where there in no availability.
My questions are:
1. Do I call AS or EK if there is a delay and miss-connect with TMA?
2. How flexible is EK with a "no show" award ticket that would allow a later flight on the first segment (MLE to DXB) and keep the second segment in F the same (DXB to YYZ)?

Originally Posted by BOB W
I personally would not take the chance of missing the flight. You need to be at the airport early anyway, so fly in the afternoon or evening before, get a good nights rest and enjoy your flight worry free.
We are staying 12 nights at two resorts so cutting the trip by one day and spending the night in Male may be the best and worry free option.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1. You talk to EK first. They control your ticket on the day of flight. Note that your seaplane flight isn’t a connection; It’s like a taxi to the airport; separate way for you to get to the airport, separate problem (not EK’s problem, you just missed a flight). They may refer you to AS for rebooking, potentially (this sort of ping pong is why award tickets involving an issuing carrier and an operating carrier aren’t really the same as cash tickets, there is the potential for having to deal with both airlines).

It’s also going to depend on circumstances.

2. Impossible to answer that because it depends on what EK does after no-showing tickets. They could upgrade people into your seats.

This is probably a good place to have travel interruption insurance, plus the overnight in Malč if you’re trying to be confident you’re covering your bases.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.