Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:24 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 100k
Hi folks, I am trying to book an award ticket for two of us from PDX to Athens via EWR on Alaska and Emirates in business. The website wants to keep taking us via LAX and an overnight, then on to EWR and this is for October 2020 and there is lots of availability on the PDX/EWR nonstop at either 20k mikes each way or $168PP that would save having to stay overnight in LA.

my question is as a gold can I book the long way around and then T-24 do an SDC to the nonstop (space available) but without messing up the Emirates flight. Or should I book the EWR leg separately either using miles or paying cash? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. It’s nuts that I have spent 18 years as a gold and racked up a huge amount of miles but cashing them in on any airline other than Alaska in business or first is all but impossible to Europe or Asia.

Last edited by Waitlisted; Jan 18, 2020 at 8:34 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
Hi folks, I am trying to book an award ticket for two of us from PDX to Milan via EWR on Alaska and Emirates in business. The website wants to keep taking us via LAX and an overnight, then on to EWR and this is for October 2020 and there is lots of availability on the PDX/EWR nonstop at either 20k mikes each way or $168PP that would save having to stay overnight in LA.

my question is as a gold can I book the long way around and then T-24 do an SDC to the nonstop (space available) but without messing up the Emirates flight. Or should I book the EWR leg separately either using miles or paying cash? Any suggestions. Thanks in advance. It’s nuts that I have spent 18 years as a gold and racked up a huge amount of miles but cashing them in on any airline other than Alaska in business or first is all but impossible to Europe or Asia.
Try booking it as a multi-city. Segment 1, PDX-EWR & Segment 2, EWR-MXP. For AS F there will need to be 2 Saver A on the flight.

James
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Try booking it as a multi-city. Segment 1, PDX-EWR & Segment 2, EWR-MXP. For AS F there will need to be 2 Saver A on the flight.

James
. Thanks James. Oddly when I do it that way it only shows Alaska, Aer Lingus, British and American flights all with 3-4 flights, even though I know there is space available on the Emirates flight. I know if I wait for seats to open up I will miss out on the Emirates flight. I suppose the best way is to just book two awards, seems counterproductive but that flight with money on Emirates website is over $15,000 so I need to remember what I am getting.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
. Thanks James. Oddly when I do it that way it only shows Alaska, Aer Lingus, British and American flights all with 3-4 flights, even though I know there is space available on the Emirates flight. I know if I wait for seats to open up I will miss out on the Emirates flight. I suppose the best way is to just book two awards, seems counterproductive but that flight with money on Emirates website is over $15,000 so I need to remember what I am getting.
It’s because there’s not enough saver coach (W) or first (A) available on PDX-EWR- the 20k is a dead giveaway (that’s not W). You need 2A or 2W to pair with the EK flights.

You MIGHT try searching for ONE award seat- if there is 1A or 1W (or 1A and 1W, give the companion A and you might get the upgrade as the elite) you’re in business for at least one ticket.

However... if you’re on separate tickets (award or cash) to EWR and there’s a delay EK is under no obligation to do anything for you if you miss the JFK-MXP flight (EK flies that route out of JFK not EWR). They might help but they don’t have to. So you’re going to schlep from EWR to JFK on separate tickets? I’m not so sure that is all that much better than an overnight in LAX...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It’s because there’s not enough saver coach (W) or first (A) available on PDX-EWR- the 20k is a dead giveaway (that’s not W). You need 2A or 2W to pair with the EK flights.

You MIGHT try searching for ONE award seat- if there is 1A or 1W (or 1A and 1W, give the companion A and you might get the upgrade as the elite) you’re in business for at least one ticket.

However... if you’re on separate tickets (award or cash) to EWR and there’s a delay EK is under no obligation to do anything for you if you miss the JFK-MXP flight (EK flies that route out of JFK not EWR). They might help but they don’t have to. So you’re going to schlep from EWR to JFK on separate tickets? I’m not so sure that is all that much better than an overnight in LAX...
sorry, meant ATH in this post, not MIL (since edited). We have been looking at both and I know MIL is via JFK. Appreciated comments, I did try for one person still no luck.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:02 am

Programs: UA, AS
sorry, meant ATH in this post, not MIL (since edited). We have been looking at both and I know MIL is via JFK. Appreciated comments, I did try for one person still no luck.
There are days when you can get a PDX-EWR Y award without an overnight in LAX, example 10/6. Book PDX-ATH on 10/6 which would route PDX-LAX-EWR in Y and EWR-ATH in J, then monitor for the non-stop PDX-EWR to open up and switch to it if it becomes available.
Waitlisted likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:01 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Is there still a problem accessing the F lounge in DXB on an Alaska award ticket? That was a thing a few years back.

Last edited by Preacher7; Jan 20, 2020 at 9:04 pm
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Is there still a problem accessing the F lounge in DXB on an Alaska award ticket? That’s was a thing a few years back.
I had no issue a few weeks ago. You just aren't eligible for the free layover overnight hotel stay or taxi in Dubai nor the chauffeur service on either end of your trip.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Can someone please be so kind and check for me the load factor on the following flights? I'd like to know what my chances of scoring J (or perhaps even F) on these flights as we're currently booked in Y but paid for J/F.

2/5 EK 652 DXB-MLE 9:40 a.m.
2/10 EK 661 MLE-DXB 6:20 p.m.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by friedablass
Can someone please be so kind and check for me the load factor on the following flights? I'd like to know what my chances of scoring J (or perhaps even F) on these flights as we're currently booked in Y but paid for J/F.

2/5 EK 652 DXB-MLE 9:40 a.m.
2/10 EK 661 MLE-DXB 6:20 p.m.
2/5
EK 656 F2 A0 J5 C0 I0 O0 H0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X9
EK 658 F2 A0 J7 C7 I7 O7 H4 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X9
EK 652 F2 A0 J0 C0 I0 O0 H0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X0
EK 660 F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O7 H5 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V9 X9

2/10
EK 661 F4 A4 J7 C7 I7 O0 H0 Y9 E9 R9 W9 M9 B9 U9 K9 Q9 L9 T9 V0 X0
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:05 pm

Thx for this. I went ahead and booked my flight today in light of this from Houston to Jeddah via Dubai. 380s both legs. 2 showers!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Preacher7
Thx for this. I went ahead and booked my flight today in light of this from Houston to Jeddah via Dubai. 380s both legs. 2 showers!
If the F cabin isn't too busy, don't hesitate to ask for 2 showers. On our LAX-DXB flight there were only 5 of 14 F seats occupied. We each had showers before bed & a second shower before arrival.

James
ukinny2000 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If the F cabin isn't too busy, don't hesitate to ask for 2 showers. On our LAX-DXB flight there were only 5 of 14 F seats occupied. We each had showers before bed & a second shower before arrival.

James
That’s a really good idea.

Years ago, I was flying F from DXB-JFK. There were only 3 of us: Me, George Clooney and Amal! True story. It was just before they were married, when they were engaged, They were coming home from an African safari, apparently.

Wish I would have thought about a second shower on that flight. Not much competition for water...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Hmmm... so no chance for 652 in J. We're arriving to DXB at 8:15 a.m. so the 2 earlier flight are obviously out. We may have a chance at J on EK660, however I'm concerned with the arrival to MLE at 3:30 p.m. because it's cutting it extremely close for the seaplane transfer, any small delay and we'll miss it which would be highly disappointing for us. I guess we'll just have to rather "suffer" through 4 hours in Y - first world problems .

EK661 there seems to be a slight chance that something may still open prior to our flight. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:00 am

EK660 is actually showing availability today in J. Would love to get the opinion of people who've flown that flight, if they found it to be a risk with regard to missing the seaplane transfer. Like I said I'd rather sit in Y for 4 hours than miss that transfer but if I can have the best of both worlds (sit in J PLUS be assured that we will not miss our seaplane transfer) then of course I'll take that .

Next question would be if I can somehow convince Alaska to give us those seats since we paid for a J award but are currently booked on 652 in Y with seemingly no chance of getting J on that (when I booked I could have chosen either 652 or 660 but both were in Y so I obviously chose the one with the shorter connection).

Last edited by friedablass; Jan 22, 2020 at 8:08 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.