Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Flying Blue Silver, UA Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Which page shows that? When I looked just now EK shows Business Class to or from the Americas: Two pieces up to 32 kg each. Do you have a stopover?
No stopover. It appears as 2 pieces up to 50lbs when I go to manage my booking on the EK website/app.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by arjunv93
No stopover. It appears as 2 pieces up to 50lbs when I go to manage my booking on the EK website/app.
That conflicts with the policy on their website:
https://www.emirates.com/us/english/...ecked-baggage/

I would not worry. I believe the above policy is accurate for your journey. It is probably a bug. If you are still concerned you should check directly with Emirates.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:36 pm

Which card to use?

Hello everyone,
I need to book a MileagePlan award ticket for my partner on Emirates. Should we pay the taxes with my credit card or hers? Mainly asking because I know some airlines require you to present the credit card at the time of check in at the airport, although I am not sure whether that is the case with Emirates. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mister P.
Hello everyone,
I need to book a MileagePlan award ticket for my partner on Emirates. Should we pay the taxes with my credit card or hers? Mainly asking because I know some airlines require you to present the credit card at the time of check in at the airport, although I am not sure whether that is the case with Emirates. Thanks!
If you are booking an award on Emirates (EK) you are paying the taxes and Partner booking fee to Alaska. You can use whichever Credit Card is appropriate for you. The 'fare' for your ticket will be settled between Alaska & Emirates so there is no requirement to present the Credit Card to Emirates as might be the case if you were booking a paid fare directly with the partner airline.

James
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:32 pm

Thanks, good to know!
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:24 pm

Emirates says I can only carry 23kg (2 Bags) on EK J ticket bought on AS miles? But regular J tickets allow for 32kg (2 Bags). Any idea why?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Emirates says I can only carry 23kg (2 Bags) on EK J ticket bought on AS miles? But regular J tickets allow for 32kg (2 Bags). Any idea why?
Where are you seeing that?
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
So what's the latest on being able to change class of service from J to F if space opens up? In an example such as EWR-DXB (F), DXB-BRU (J), can AS only upgrade me to F if F is also available from EWR-DXB at the time of change? That is, the entire ticket has to be reissued? Data points are suggesting that rewards go immediately back in AS inventory when cancelled? Is this only for married segments and if so, how can one confirm if the itinerary segments are married?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 9:56 am

Is there a reason why I'm not seeing any EK availability after Dec.9?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Probably that is 330 days out which is as far as AS has partner awards available.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
330 Days from today would be December 12th so they should be able to see availability until then unless there were none released yet.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
My experience is that EK doesn’t release a lot of inventory around the December holidays.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
I flew on Emirates F last month and was tracking availability on Expert Flyer. They had almost no award space mid-December though mid-January, but started releasing seats a week or so ahead of time. I booked the one flight that was available a month out and was the only one in F DXB-SFO. I got lots of Expert Flyer alerts while on the trip that several other flights had opened space.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
My experience is that EK doesn’t release a lot of inventory around the December holidays.
a lot or none? I'm seeing nothing from any city to DXB after Dec 9 and I think that is still before the "holidays". I'll keep checking but I hope they release even a few seats during the holidays.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bichoo
a lot or none? I'm seeing nothing from any city to DXB after Dec 9 and I think that is still before the "holidays". I'll keep checking but I hope they release even a few seats during the holidays.
My experience is the advance availability of EK availability on AS in December follows the pattern mentioned by mroseman13 .

Originally Posted by mroseman13
They had almost no award space mid-December though mid-January, but started releasing seats a week or so ahead of time. I booked the one flight that was available a month out and was the only one in F DXB-SFO. I got lots of Expert Flyer alerts while on the trip that several other flights had opened space.
"December 9" is pretty close to "mid-December".

I regularly monitor award space available from AS at around that time of year very early on because I often want to go someplace sunny and warm in S or SE Asia. I just don't see a lot of EK at T-330 for December (which means I don't fly EK; I actually find *A J availability using programs like AV/UA/AC/etc. on airlines like OZ/BR/TG/NH in late December when it's T-330 is much much better- and frankly BR J or NH J connecting to TG J is just fine for what I usually want to do). It seems that EK plays things close to the vest, probably because there's lots of VFR traffic that will suck out award inventory to India that time of year.

I suppose if you're feeling all Dirty Harry "do you feel lucky, punk?!?!" and don't mind last minute planning/award cancellation a strategy where you look for the inventory late (as mentioned in that post) could work. I don't do that because if I've booked AV dealing with the call center and a $200 cancellation fee isn't worth it...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 17, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.