Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cloudwanderer
Thanks for your response. Yup. Strange. It would be pretty bad if as well as doubling the necessary miles they devalued the experience. Sort of seems unnecessary. I'm hoping that this is an outpost blip and that things wouldn't have changed in DXB. The lounge attendants in SIN did make a couple of phone calls and were adamant that we didn't have access...

Did you have lounge access printed on your boarding card? Boarding passes that I have seen online often do (I obviously don't know if AS miles were used. ). Mine doesn't.

I also was given a meal voucher (we have a long transit). Did you get one printed automatically?
Now that would be disheartening if true
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Sounder
Now that's strange. I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB when flying in F 3 weeks ago, but that was pre-devaluation.
Thanks for your response. Yup. Strange. It would be pretty bad if as well as doubling the necessary miles they devalued the experience. Sort of seems unnecessary. I'm hoping that this is an outpost blip and that things wouldn't have changed in DXB. The lounge attendants in SIN did make a couple of phone calls and were adamant that we didn't have access...

Did you have lounge access printed on your boarding card? Boarding passes that I have seen online often do (I obviously don't know if AS miles were used. ). Mine doesn't.

I also was given a meal voucher (we have a long transit). Did you get one printed automatically?
You were given a meal voucher for SIN or for DBX? Also, please post your experience with gaining lounge access in Dubai.

It was early 2015 (IIRC) that the chauffeur drive service dropped off of redemption tickets. My hope is that lounge access does not also go by the wayside.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB in Novemeber. In DXB, the tickteting/check-in agent told me I did not have lounge access. I decided to try for myself anyway, and they let me in.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by invalyd
I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB in Novemeber. In DXB, the tickteting/check-in agent told me I did not have lounge access. I decided to try for myself anyway, and they let me in.
I had lounge access in both SFO and DXB 2 weeks ago. I think this is an anomaly-- lots of reports of AS awards looking similar to non-rev staff tickets to less experienced check-in agents. DXB should be able to tell the difference. SIN may have less experience on this front.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:22 am

Good News to report - absolutely no problems getting into the lounge in DXB. The attendants were completely welcoming and knew all about Alaska awards as previously noted.

She reprinted our boarding passes so that they now had lounge access printed at the bottom. I mentioned that we were denied access in Singapore and she apologized and said we should have spoken to a supervisor.

We had of course asked the lounge attendant to call her supervisor when we were refused entry in SIN and the response was an adamant no. I should mention that we got our boarding passes from an airside transfer desk, and not from the regular Emirates check-in.

I don't know quite what to recommend to others who want to be certain of lounge access in an out-station. Maybe it would have helped to have left the airport and got our boarding passes reprinted the regular way?? Maybe it would be worth getting email confirmation from Emirates CS before leaving?

In our case, we had access to a lot of decent lounges in SIN with priority pass, and we were only really concerned with lounge access in DXB (15 hrs layover ). In the end, and fearing the worst, we booked into the airport hotel - which in fact was the best thing we could have done.

(The meal voucher was for DXB- I think because of the long layover....).
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:25 am

Good News to report - absolutely no problems getting into the lounge in DXB. The attendants were completely welcoming and knew all about Alaska awards as previously noted.

She reprinted our boarding passes so that they now had lounge access printed at the bottom. I mentioned that we were denied access in Singapore and she apologized and said we should have spoken to a supervisor.

We had of course asked the lounge attendant to call her supervisor when we were refused entry in SIN and the response was an adamant no. I should mention that we got our boarding passes from an airside transfer desk, and not from the regular Emirates check-in.

I don't know quite what to recommend to others who want to be certain of lounge access in an out-station. Maybe it would have helped to have left the airport and got our boarding passes reprinted the regular way?? Maybe it would be worth getting email confirmation from Emirates CS before leaving?

In our case, we had access to a lot of decent lounges in SIN with priority pass, and we were only really concerned with lounge access in DXB (15 hrs layover ). In the end, and fearing the worst, we booked into the airport hotel - which in fact was the best thing we could have done.

(The meal voucher was for DXB- I think because of the long layover....).

The airport hotel is really the best option with a 15 hour layover

lounge access I had a feeling it was a one off
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Phew.. I am glad to hear that!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
Phew.. I am glad to hear that!
Yea it sounded strange. The car I never used in DXB nor stateside.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 10:05 pm

Do each of these one-way awards have valid routings?
JFK-DXB-MLE MLE-CMB (stopover: MLE)
JFK-DXB-MLE CMB-DXB-HKG (stopover: MLE; open jaw: CMB)
SIN-MEL-AKL-SYD-DXB-MXP-JFK (stopover: DXB)
JFK-DXB-MRU MRU-DXB-CDG (stopover: MRU)

Except for one of the above, I'm only planning a few hours layover in DXB so it wouldn't count as the stopover.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
All of your routings are pretty garbage, try to mess with the rules routings. I take it you're planning to do lots of HUACA?

Originally Posted by Rinzler
The stopover generally gets done in DXB. MLE-CMB is a cheap 60 minute flight.

Not an open-jaw, which is AAA-BBB//CCC-DDD on a full round trip. That's a land segment.

Let me guess, you're planning a blog post on how you flew EK F for $100? You might find that AS agents are on to this trick now thanks to some bad publicity from a blogger, and realize that they need to make sure redemptions don't go into Australia (which AS isn't supposed to allow for EK redemptions).

LOL, this isn't US Airways with completely incompetent agents who don't understand geography. On what planet is backtracking 5000 miles after your destination in MRU a "one way award"? One that's flat?

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 13, 2016 at 11:28 pm
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Do each of these one-way awards have valid routings?

Except for one of the above, I'm only planning a few hours layover in DXB so it wouldn't count as the stopover.
This is why we can't have nice things
Old Apr 14, 2016, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
But am I allowed to choose as a stopover a different location?

Not an open-jaw, which is AAA-BBB//CCC-DDD on a full round trip. That's a land segment.
The wiki says "One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award."
If it's 2 open jaws for a round trip, then what's the point of doing that if I can just book 2 separate one way awards and get the same result?

On what planet is backtracking 5000 miles after your destination in MRU a "one way award"? One that's flat?
I assumed it could be done because I read about someone doing it to FCO and back to MRU and SIN.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
But am I allowed to choose as a stopover a different location?

The wiki says "One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award."
If it's 2 open jaws for a round trip, then what's the point of doing that if I can just book 2 separate one way awards and get the same result?

From my understanding for AS awards; I always thought they only give a stopover in the partner airline's HUB airport. So if you are flying EK (since this is an EK thread), the hub city is DXB, so you would only get a stopover there.

I do not think AS gives open jaws for one-way awards. On the contrary though, you do get 2 stopovers and "2 openjaws" if you booked a RT ticket but it is identical to booking 2 different one-ways each with a stopover.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:01 am

All of your routings are pretty garbage, try to mess with the rules routings. I take it you're planning to do lots of HUACA?

Let me guess, you're planning a blog post on how you flew EK F for $100? You might find that AS agents are on to this trick now thanks to some bad publicity from a blogger, and realize that they need to make sure redemptions don't go into Australia (which AS isn't supposed to allow for EK redemptions).

LOL, this isn't US Airways with completely incompetent agents who don't understand geography. On what planet is backtracking 5000 miles after your destination in MRU a "one way award"? One that's flat?

I think your right another "blogger" or someone who will post up!! I thought the new redemption would rid ourselves of this crap.

AS will only allow a stopover in DXB which is of course EK's hub.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I assumed it could be done because I read about someone doing it to FCO and back to MRU and SIN.
Yeah, same blogger who I referenced before. Dude is not popular around these parts and might be part of the reason we're all going to pay double cost on EK awards now.

By all means play the HUACA game (who knows, you might win) but I think you will find backtracking won't work, you don't get to have land segments, and your stopover needs to be in DXB.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.