Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:31 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
It's not "sold out". It's just not available. I've found EK F on random dates out of IAD, SFO and SEA, so it's not completely unavailable, it's just that EK isn't making it available out of SFO for those dates.
it's a crap shoot you just have to continue to look.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:00 pm

Emirates not showing one segment of total booking.

Login to see one of my EK flights is not showing on an award booking through AS.

The flight still shows on AS "my trips".

I called EK and they say AS removed the flight.

Call back to AS says the ticket is still confirmed and they are making sure emirates still has it.

Any suggestions? Any evidence to this happening before?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Emirates not showing one segment of total booking.

Login to see one of my EK flights is not showing on an award booking through AS.

The flight still shows on AS "my trips".

I called EK and they say AS removed the flight.

Call back to AS says the ticket is still confirmed and they are making sure emirates still has it.

Any suggestions? Any evidence to this happening before?
happens all the time to me. I have booked paid and award on EK spotty
Old Sep 28, 2016, 12:46 pm

So what should I do? Do I have any recourse? I have a travel companion with all the same flights and theirs is fine.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
So what should I do? Do I have any recourse? I have a travel companion with all the same flights and theirs is fine.
CALL AS really the only thing you can do
Old Oct 2, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Just flew the ANC-DXB-MUC routing on EK F with the old redemption miles award. SEA-DXB was simply amazing. The entire F staff were over the top with the attention they gave me. It didn't hurt that I was the only one in the F cabin of a 777.

The DXB-MUC flight was good on the A380, but not up to the level of the earlier long haul flight. Hats off to both crews. There was one other person in F on this flight so she may have been pulling some of the EK love her way.

After many of these flights, I will miss EK, but the new award levels are ridiculous and I can fly (not even) almost as well on other carriers.

Sorry, Beck, but CX is just a close second.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by BOB W
Just flew the ANC-DXB-MUC routing on EK F with the old redemption miles award. SEA-DXB was simply amazing. The entire F staff were over the top with the attention they gave me. It didn't hurt that I was the only one in the F cabin of a 777.

The DXB-MUC flight was good on the A380, but not up to the level of the earlier long haul flight. Hats off to both crews. There was one other person in F on this flight so she may have been pulling some of the EK love her way.

After many of these flights, I will miss EK, but the new award levels are ridiculous and I can fly (not even) almost as well on other carriers.

I have been lucky enough to have four trips and another one coming this spring. I am using points one way and bought a 2 for 1 with my Amex biz class. Works well.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

Sounds like a nice trip, BOB W. Octoberfest in MUC? We want pictures, please.

Over the past few years I've flown EK F RT SEA-DXB-HKG, RT LAX-DXB-CDG, and RT LAX-DXB-HKG. Now I'm looking forward to next month's LAX-DXB-HKG-DXB-SFO that was booked back before the Big Devaluation.

Someone asked me why I use Alaska miles for first class on an international carrier like Emirates (and CX and QF, etc) instead of domestic flights on Alaska. I explained that it now costs 60K miles for a refundable F seat ANC-SEA or ORD, and 80K for one-way F ANC-HNL.

But for 100K I can fly LAX-DXB, then fly on the HKG - effectively, just 50K miles per segment. The experience, ambience and the options for food and beverages are out of this world compared to Alaska or other domestic carriers. And then, of course, there's the travel destination.

They *still* didn't get it. I guess the saying is right: "There's no fixin' stupid."
Old Oct 3, 2016, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Sounds like a nice trip, BOB W. Octoberfest in MUC? We want pictures, please.

Over the past few years I've flown EK F RT SEA-DXB-HKG, RT LAX-DXB-CDG, and RT LAX-DXB-HKG. Now I'm looking forward to next month's LAX-DXB-HKG-DXB-SFO that was booked back before the Big Devaluation.

Someone asked me why I use Alaska miles for first class on an international carrier like Emirates (and CX and QF, etc) instead of domestic flights on Alaska. I explained that it now costs 60K miles for a refundable F seat ANC-SEA or ORD, and 80K for one-way F ANC-HNL.

But for 100K I can fly LAX-DXB, then fly on the HKG - effectively, just 50K miles per segment. The experience, ambience and the options for food and beverages are out of this world compared to Alaska or other domestic carriers. And then, of course, there's the travel destination.

They *still* didn't get it. I guess the saying is right: "There's no fixin' stupid."
I told Timothy, the F Purser early in the first trip that I would probably not post a trip report. He is a long time lurker, never posted. You can only post the Caviar so many times before it gets old. If I get off my lazy arse some morning I will post a short version.

Do NOT fix stupid!!! I have a family full of them and as long as they do not know what they are missing, my chances of getting these trips put together for myself will be easier.

Oktoberfest was very crowded, loud and I was amazed at the number of people praying to the Asphalt God at 2 in the afternoon.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Can I book AU-NZ on EK F with AS miles? I have the outbound of a NZ trip booked on CX all the way to AKL but inbound the AKL-HKG flights don't work (no Sat and Sun availability) connecting to the US so I will need to get to SYD/BNE/MEL first and I thought it would be nice if I could try EK's A380 F shower.

I have loads of Chase UR points but KE requires RT for EK flights (75K for F). My AS miles would be transferred from Diners club , which are also transferable (at less than 1:1) to spg so I could do JAL but the extra transfer and the fact there appears to be a 60k mile minimum for F redemption is almost as bad as KE.

Suggestions on an efficient way to book a trans-tasman oneway on EK F?? (my actual destination is ZQN so the non-FT obvious answer would be to fly n/s ZQN-AU but that's 4 hrs on a narrow body, probably in Y)
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by rufflesinc
Can I book AU-NZ on EK F with AS miles? I have the outbound of a NZ trip booked on CX all the way to AKL but inbound the AKL-HKG flights don't work (no Sat and Sun availability) connecting to the US so I will need to get to SYD/BNE/MEL first and I thought it would be nice if I could try EK's A380 F shower.

I have loads of Chase UR points but KE requires RT for EK flights (75K for F). My AS miles would be transferred from Diners club , which are also transferable (at less than 1:1) to spg so I could do JAL but the extra transfer and the fact there appears to be a 60k mile minimum for F redemption is almost as bad as KE.

Suggestions on an efficient way to book a trans-tasman oneway on EK F?? (my actual destination is ZQN so the non-FT obvious answer would be to fly n/s ZQN-AU but that's 4 hrs on a narrow body, probably in Y)
AU/NZ is not allowed on AS award on EK. Actually, it's not allowed on any partner. Well on QF if the award is from/to north America
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by rufflesinc

Please read the wiki at the top of every page of the thread. "All trips must start or end in North America".

EK F is actually not so expensive trans-Tasman. Cash fares of $1000 USDish last I checked.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:22 pm

Currently have an award flight booked for JFK-DXB-SIN on 12/23-12/25 in First Class.

Due to Zika travel advisories, wife and I have decided not to travel to SE Asia this winter. However, we still want to experience the flight, so we are considering flying the JFK-DXB flight, then finding our way from DXB to a destination in Europe.

What are my options? I want to make absolutely sure that we don't lose the JFK-DXB leg - so reticketing should be avoided, is that right? Or is it safe to re-ticket the award? Would it be possible to rebook the award as something like JFK-DXB and connect to Austria or another European destination?

Can Alaska change my flight and refund the difference in miles (I believe it should be 10,000 miles each based on the old award charts)?

Or is it better to just keep the award flight, forego the 10k miles difference, and just not get on the DXB-SIN leg? Is that even allowed?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by gofarhaveacigar
Can Alaska change my flight and refund the difference in miles (I believe it should be 10,000 miles each based on the old award charts)?
Call the Partner Award Desk on the 800 line. You are allowed one change per itinerary, provided space is available. This was confirmed by the agent that helped me. I switched from ANC-SEA-DFW-DXB-MUC to ANC-SEA-DXB-MUC (dropped the SEA-DFW) when the aircraft changed from the A380 to a 777) just a few weeks ago. Space has to be available, but it definitely worked for me. I was the only F Pax SEA-DXB which helped with availability.

Can't speak to keeping your original flights and not showing up for the onward. Sounds dicey to me, but it is just miles.

BTW, in Berlin for the Berlin Do now from those flights. Fun starts in a couple of days. BA going home in F. People complain about the BA surcharge, but I will get home with a $500 set of PJ's.
Old Oct 4, 2016, 3:53 pm

Call the Partner Award Desk on the 800 line. You are allowed one change per itinerary, provided space is available. This was confirmed by the agent that helped me. I switched from ANC-SEA-DFW-DXB-MUC to ANC-SEA-DXB-MUC (dropped the SEA-DFW) when the aircraft changed from the A380 to a 777) just a few weeks ago. Space has to be available, but it definitely worked for me. I was the only F Pax SEA-DXB which helped with availability.

Can't speak to keeping your original flights and not showing up for the onward. Sounds dicey to me, but it is just miles.

BTW, in Berlin for the Berlin Do now from those flights. Fun starts in a couple of days. BA going home in F. People complain about the BA surcharge, but I will get home with a $500 set of PJ's.
Is there any risk to losing the JFK-DXB leg when having them re-book the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.