Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bananastand1984
@madone59 I have not, but I feel like I'm going to deal with the same issues of changing my ticket since the departure airport would then change (or does that not matter?) JFK seems to have a bunch of flights, I'm hoping AS gets their .... together and opens up that award space.
I changed LAX-DXB-SIN to SAN-SEA-DXB-SIN. AFAIK they only care about the destination. I'm not sure where you live, but you're talking about JFK which means YYZ, ORD, IAD, BOS, JFK are all within reach of a reasonable positioning flight.

I jumped through all of these hoops with my last LH award, but the rules were much looser on United at the time. I kept moving the departure city closer and closer to San Diego as F seats opened. I must have made 5 changes in 6 days waiting for West Coast F seats.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
This morning I successfully changed an EK F award made at the old redemption levels from DFW-DXB-MUC to SEA-DXB-MUC with no problems at all. The agent took less than two minutes to get the change made and the confirmation came through less than 30 minutes later. Now to deal with seat assignments.....

^^ to AS again!!!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
, I'm hoping AS gets their .... together and opens up that award space.
It's not AS's award space to open. It's EK's.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:10 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I was able to change an EK F award made at the old redemption levels from SFO-DXB-MRU to SFO-DXB-CPT. The agent knew exactly what she was doing, and informed me I could do a one time change. Excellent service AS!!!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS100K, AS Lounge+, Marriott Plat, SBUXG, GE, Costco Exec, Amazon Prime, Nat Parks Yearly Pass
I was successful last week, too, changing IST-DXB-DFW to IST-DXB-SFO at the old redemption rate in F. AS agent was great!
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:39 am

I booked (long back) SEA-DXB-BOM for December dates. I was able to book SEA-DXB in business but could not find business from DXB-BOM, how do I find availability and once its available, can I book without paying extra points which was already paid through old award.

If I want stopover at Dubai for 2/3 days, can I change it (of course if there is any availability) without changing mu SEA-DXB leg and without fees?

Thanks.

Last edited by mak101; Aug 30, 2016 at 8:47 pm
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by sonomawine
I was able to change an EK F award made at the old redemption levels from SFO-DXB-MRU to SFO-DXB-CPT. The agent knew exactly what she was doing, and informed me I could do a one time change. Excellent service AS!!!

Thanks @sonomawine I'll HUCA with another agent and hope they can make a one time change for me to change JFK-DXB-DEL to JFK-DXB-BOM. The last call wasn't successful, but always worth another try.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:35 am

Update - After some back and forth with the Partner Desk and Customer Care I was finally able to get through to someone that was able to switch my flight for no additional miles.

I'll now be flying JFK-DXB-BOM in first on the date I wanted. Woo Hoo!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Update - After some back and forth with the Partner Desk and Customer Care I was finally able to get through to someone that was able to switch my flight for no additional miles.

I'll now be flying JFK-DXB-BOM in first on the date I wanted. Woo Hoo!
HUCA wins again. Enjoy.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:00 am

I have 2 Y seats booked pre-devaluation SEA-DXB (4days) & DXB-SGN. J Seats are now available. Am I able to upgrade for old redemption rate?
From Wiki: " Members who have existing award reservations can contact our Customer Care team for a one-time award change without spending more miles."
If yes and before I call, What is the old redemption rate?
Will this be a HUCA?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by CanuckFan
I have 2 Y seats booked pre-devaluation SEA-DXB (4days) & DXB-SGN. J Seats are now available. Am I able to upgrade for old redemption rate?
From Wiki: " Members who have existing award reservations can contact our Customer Care team for a one-time award change without spending more miles."
If yes and before I call, What is the old redemption rate?
Will this be a HUCA?
I think a call to AS might be the best way to answer this question, unless of course there is an agent reading this!!
Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:25 am

Im trying to find a J seat one way from ATL - MAA. It always comes up with coach for SEA-DXB and J only for DXB-MAA. Tried the return as well, always gettin coach for SEA-DXB or DXB-SEA.
Im looking for travel between 31oct -12 Nov , with flexible option of +or- 3 days but its the same scenario.
Do i have to call up to book the J seats?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:25 am

What are the codes i should be looking for in expert flyer regarding business class reward seats using alaska miles on emirates?
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:29 pm

I was looking at Emirates availability for 330+ days out and it looks like it's just coach available on their long-haul. I checked with exactly 330 days from now but still didn't see F or J for SFO to DXB. I wouldn't think it'd be sold out with the new high prices for the journey this far ahead. Am I missing something here?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by HighClassFlyer
I was looking at Emirates availability for 330+ days out and it looks like it's just coach available on their long-haul. I checked with exactly 330 days from now but still didn't see F or J for SFO to DXB. I wouldn't think it'd be sold out with the new high prices for the journey this far ahead. Am I missing something here?
It's not "sold out". It's just not available. I've found EK F on random dates out of IAD, SFO and SEA, so it's not completely unavailable, it's just that EK isn't making it available out of SFO for those dates.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.