Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2016, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles. Note that Alaska Airlines cannot book EK F any longer- it's just J or Y. F awards were ceased on 3/31/2021.

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.
Only AS and EK can be used for the award.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK, EWR)
Washington DC (IAD)
Fort Lauderdale
Orlando

Canada
Toronto

Mexico
Mexico City (via Barcelona)

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia
Note: EK flies DXB-HKG-BKK but otherwise it is DXB-final stop

Europe
Note: EK flies JFK-MXP-DXB and EWR-ATH-DXB but otherwise routing will be via DXB

*If region is not listed on chart it's not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing (2016 and Later)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Thanks, I'm surprised I got it! The flight is in February 2017. I was expecting to have to wait until a week or two before the flight and then cross my fingers that it opens up, per the usual scenario.

For anyone with an award reservation to/from JNB after February 1st, it's worth checking F and J award inventory again!
it's worth checking at least once to twice a week that experience goes back years for us.

Also look into buying return trip on local economy Biz 2400 us
Old Aug 7, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by BarryL
I know this has been asked before on DXB lounge access on award travel. Both flights have 15-19 hr lay-overs in Dubai.

LAX-DXB (FC)
DXB-JNB (Coach)

JNB-DXB (Biz)
DXB-LAX (FC)

What lounges should I expect to get into? The FC one in DXB is awesome.
Well I got lucky. Today all four segments opened up in FC (Z). I called Gold line to make the change, must of been a pain... because I didn't get the confirmation for about 5 hours.

In regards to JNB-DBX going to A380. Appears EK761 (DXB-JNB) & EK762 (JNB-DXB) will move from 777ER to A380 from MAR26, 2017 - JUL11, 2017, per emirates.com. Perfect for me, as traveling in April 2017.

Lounge access is covered, with 4 segments in with the shower in the sky! We have a 13 hour layover in DXB on the way home. At least I won't need another shower.

Thans for everyone's responses.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 5:28 am

Well I got lucky. Today all four segments opened up in FC (Z). I called Gold line to make the change, must of been a pain... because I didn't get the confirmation for about 5 hours.

In regards to JNB-DBX going to A380. Appears EK761 (DXB-JNB) & EK762 (JNB-DXB) will move from 777ER to A380 from MAR26, 2017 - JUL11, 2017, per emirates.com. Perfect for me, as traveling in April 2017.

Lounge access is covered, with 4 segments in with the shower in the sky! We have a 13 hour layover in DXB on the way home. At least I won't need another shower.

Thans for everyone's responses.
adding that 380 on the JNB run will make a huge difference those flights along with the CPT flights are always packed
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by edgewood49
your lucky that route which I fly regularly both paid and award is heavy when I am going to Cape Town I pay with AMEX PLT 2 for one local currency charge I have also gotten Biz local currency 2300 USD after conversion !
I tried a EK paid booking on my return. You're right, one ways isn't too bad for premium seats.

I tried JNB-LAX
Business $2881 USD
First $4454 USD

Now it's got me thinking, is $4454 worth 200k? I believe EK FC EQM is 2x and RDM is 2x as well. $4454 would net me 225k in my mileage account (-200k for OW and 25k RDM).

My flying companion is AA EXP, so it doesn't make sense to buy her a ticket as EK isn't a AA Partner. Plus she wants FC sky spa experience.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 1:22 pm
Suspended

I tried a EK paid booking on my return. You're right, one ways isn't too bad for premium seats.

I tried JNB-LAX
Business $2881 USD
First $4454 USD

Now it's got me thinking, is $4454 worth 200k? I believe EK FC EQM is 2x and RDM is 2x as well. $4454 would net me 225k in my mileage account (-200k for OW and 25k RDM).

My flying companion is AA EXP, so it doesn't make sense to buy her a ticket as EK isn't a AA Partner. Plus she wants FC sky spa experience.
You could fly QR one-way and credit to AA. Pretty nice in J.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:33 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Who's right, who is wrong-I am guessing AS is wrong

I have an F flight on EK Sept. 29 DFW-DXB-MUC. The AS website shows the DFW-DXB-MUC flight as an all A380 metal flight set. The EK site shows the DFW-DXB flight as a Boeing 777. Cabin will be the same but no showers. DXB-MUC is showing A380. This trip was booked before the devaluation and my main reason for booking it was to experience the A380 one last time. I do not see any reason to book the new mileage penalty fares on EK.

It's all about the showers....I assume the EK website is correct since they will magically put a few hundred tons of metal into the air, but I am hoping AS has it right.

Anyone have recent experience on the DFW-DXB flights?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BOB W
the DFW-DXB flights?
Are and will be operated with a 77W.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
Unfortunately, at this point, there have been enough aircraft substitutions on EK that anyone with a booking should be prepared for it to happen on any route. Even their new second daily LAX flight, which was advertised as a 380, is reverting to a 777 for a few months this fall.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Bretmd
Unfortunately, at this point, there have been enough aircraft substitutions on EK that anyone with a booking should be prepared for it to happen on any route. Even their new second daily LAX flight, which was advertised as a 380, is reverting to a 777 for a few months this fall.
If your in biz that sucks ! The best part of flying EK biz is the bar in the back so you can get up grab a quick snack and something to drink
Old Aug 14, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Smile

Originally Posted by BOB W
I have an F flight on EK Sept. 29 DFW-DXB-MUC.

Anyone have recent experience on the DFW-DXB flights?
I flew it 2 days ago, on a 777. Booked the tickets months ago (AS award), also because of the 380 experience. But the config changed a few months ago already. So no shower, but still a truly amazing experience, what a service and comfort. I have another leg coming in the next couple of days from DXB to HKG, so I'll still get my shower :-)

BTW: knowing that the chauffeur perk is not for AS award tickets, I thought I'd give it a try anyway at the FC desk at DXB. Didn't get lucky, the agent checked my boarding pass, saw it was an AS award, denied the driver, but showed me the way to the taxis instead :-)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I'm glad I booked JFK so i still have A380
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:49 pm
Suspended

What lunatic is going to spend 105,000 miles to fly one-way EK J, while you can fly CX J roundtrip for 100,000 in J.
And EK J (77W) is not even real business class. It is more like PE.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
What lunatic is going to spend 105,000 miles to fly one-way EK J, while you can fly CX J roundtrip for 100,000 in J.
And EK J (77W) is not even real business class. It is more like PE.
I will agree EK 777W is a lousy product. No wonder they had such a great sale on it. 380 is another story.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by BIndair

BTW: knowing that the chauffeur perk is not for AS award tickets, I thought I'd give it a try anyway at the FC desk at DXB. Didn't get lucky, the agent checked my boarding pass, saw it was an AS award, denied the driver, but showed me the way to the taxis instead :-)
I was thinking of giving this a shot as well when arriving at DXB in a few weeks. Doesn't look like I'll have much luck!
Old Aug 15, 2016, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by edgewood49
The best part of flying EK biz is the bar in the back so you can get up grab a quick snack and something to drink
That is not a universal opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.