Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Emirates awards on AS devalued with no notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Duke787
Alaska Airlines has published a Q&A blog post about the changes to Emirates redemption levels. Below is a sampling of the key Q&As.

Why is Mileage Plan making this change?

Alaska’s premium Emirates awards have long been known as an exceptionally good deal. With the rise of “travel-hacking,” intended to exploit Mileage Plan’s award routing rules, coupled with below-market award levels, our previous award levels were unsustainable. The new award levels enable Alaska to continue to offer Emirates Business Class and First Class as a redemption option
What if I purchased miles intending to book Emirates Business or First Class before I had a chance to book at the previous award level?

If you purchased miles on or after March 1, 2016, you can contact our Customer Care team for a refund.
Why didn’t Mileage Plan give advance notice? How can I expect other awards to not change suddenly?

Given the dynamics of this particular award, we were unable to announce changes in advance. This approach doesn’t represent a new normal. Our policy is to communicate significant program changes with at least 30 days’ notice when at all possible.
I’ve been saving my miles for this award. What am I supposed to do?

You’ll continue to have access to awards in premium cabins on our other partners with coverage to most of the same destinations. Future changes, if any, to these award levels will be given with advance notice.
The full blog post can be found here: https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/
Print Wikipost

Emirates awards on AS devalued with no notice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by techie
Alaska is not obligated to provide a venting platform to people on their website. It would do Alaska no good to have pages of comments riddled with unpleasantries.
Then they are dishonest and cowards if they open comments for positive news only
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Then they are dishonest and cowards if they open comments for positive news only
give it a rest
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Received an expertflyer notification that a J Saver seat is available on Emirates and confirmed on Emirates website, but it is not showing on Alaska yet. How long does it take for Alaska to be able to see the available space?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Nobody has sued Alaska about this no-notice devaluation? No class action lawsuit ?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...and-conditions

No rights of any kind accrue in the Mileage Plan program except as specifically defined herein.
Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan program may be modified by Alaska Airlines at any time
Alaska Airlines reserves the right to establish redemption rules and to set the number of miles required to obtain Mileage Plan benefits, including award travel and upgrades, which are subject to change at Alaska Airlines' sole discretion without notice.
The accumulation of mileage in a member's account does not entitle the member to any vested rights with respect to any specific awards or specific Mileage Plan benefits. In accumulating mileage, members may not rely upon the continued availability of any award or award level, and members may not be able to obtain awards for all destinations or flights. Alaska Airlines may, among other things:
  • Change Mileage Plan benefits, participant affiliations, or cities served
  • Limit the number of seats available for award travel or otherwise restrict the continued availability of travel awards or special offers
  • Increase or decrease the mileage required for an award
  • Modify transferability of miles and awards
Alaska Airlines' Mileage Plan partners may on occasion implement changes affecting Mileage Plan benefits without prior notice to members.
You're welcome to try a suit. The legal precedent on these types of suits is not particularly encouraging, in that US courts have held that you are preempted from suing airlines about frequent flyer programs in state courts.

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/04/us-...equent-flyers/

The Justices decided unanimously that the action fell under the Airline Deregulation Act, which says states cannot regulate the price, route or service of an air carrier, and thus was thus not subject to Minnesota state contract law.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:32 pm
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVPG
See above. Beat me to post. Haha
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:55 pm
Suspended

How about federal court. Terms & conditions saying they can screw you any time anywhere doesn't mean that it's fair or enforceable.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 12:58 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K, Hyatt Gl, Marriott Ti/LTP
How about federal court. Terms & conditions saying they can screw you any time anywhere doesn't mean that it's fair or enforceable.
"US Supreme Court Decides..." in the title of that link that @eponymous_coward included would make it seem like federal courts have weighed in on the topic.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Go to town. Nobody's sued, probably because the courts have held something like this to be the case:

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...hange-we-need/

The Supreme Court in essence decided that:
  • A state contract claim reading in a doctrine of good faith and fair dealing is that state regulating a frequent flyer program.
  • A frequent flyer program is part and parcel of an airline.
  • A frequent flyer program is more or less a rebate on air travel, so regulating a frequent flyer program is regulating airline pricing.
  • Therefore the Airline Deregulation Act, which preempts state regulation of airlines, also preempts state court claims based on good faith and fair dealing against frequent flyer programs.
This was a unanimous decision by the Court. And it meant that you basically can’t sue a frequent flyer program, except for actually violating the terms and conditions of the program, which is pretty much impossible because program terms normally go to great pains to promise you nothing.
@gleff goes on to say:

We need a consumer with a valid claim against an airline who has earned all their points from non-flight activity and who either redeems their points for non-flight awards or who at the very least hasn’t redeemed their points for airline travel.

That consumer can distinguish their cases from Ginsberg, and could (over the course of several years, unfortunately) have their voice heard in the Courts. It will be an expensive proposition (though far less expensive than building the mechanisms for DOT oversight). But it could succeed. And we’d have back the Courts as a check against the worst excesses of the programs, whereas now they’re more or less unchecked.
I don't know if all that's true or not. I'm not a lawyer (neither is Mr. Leff). I offer it as an example from someone who's covered FFPs fairly extensively as a blogger of a legal theory to get past what seems to be an insurmountable roadblock to a successful cause of action. I note that using Mileage Plan for Emirates flights does not satisfy this condition mentioned in that blog post, though (you are using miles for flights). As far as I know, Alaska doesn't offer non-mileage options for redemption. Maybe someone who's bought miles using points.com and never redeemed? But it's such a corner case that I am unsurprised a lawsuit hasn't happened. Basically it's the FTer "I want to pay $500 and get SPG Platinum" crowd that does this sort of arbitrage, and they usually find their arbitrage somewhere, without needing to fund a lawyer to go through multiple layers of the federal court system. It's not likely to be cheap to pursue this kind of lawsuit.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Apr 16, 2018 at 1:18 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.