Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Emirates awards on AS devalued with no notice

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Duke787
Alaska Airlines has published a Q&A blog post about the changes to Emirates redemption levels. Below is a sampling of the key Q&As.

Why is Mileage Plan making this change?

Alaska’s premium Emirates awards have long been known as an exceptionally good deal. With the rise of “travel-hacking,” intended to exploit Mileage Plan’s award routing rules, coupled with below-market award levels, our previous award levels were unsustainable. The new award levels enable Alaska to continue to offer Emirates Business Class and First Class as a redemption option
What if I purchased miles intending to book Emirates Business or First Class before I had a chance to book at the previous award level?

If you purchased miles on or after March 1, 2016, you can contact our Customer Care team for a refund.
Why didn’t Mileage Plan give advance notice? How can I expect other awards to not change suddenly?

Given the dynamics of this particular award, we were unable to announce changes in advance. This approach doesn’t represent a new normal. Our policy is to communicate significant program changes with at least 30 days’ notice when at all possible.
I’ve been saving my miles for this award. What am I supposed to do?

You’ll continue to have access to awards in premium cabins on our other partners with coverage to most of the same destinations. Future changes, if any, to these award levels will be given with advance notice.
The full blog post can be found here: https://blog.alaskaair.com/emirates-redemptions/
Print Wikipost

Emirates awards on AS devalued with no notice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SFO777
Suspect that the only reason EK award prices increased is that EK jacked the price of F awards to AS. In contrast, I doubt that there are more than a handful of CX First awards processed by AS these days... with 6 seat F cabins and CX current reluctance to release F award seats.
EK can suddenly pull the award space and refuse to sell award space, but EK can't change the award space segment compensation rates unilaterally without providing advance notice to AS. If EK wanted the price hiked, AS got notice. How much advance notice? Well maybe that advance notice period could have been revised down to a very small period of time, but surely AS lawyers wouldn't want be so negligent as to allow it to be eliminated entirely.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tng11
I don't think AS is that concerned about loyalty of the segment this change was primarily targeted at. Many people bought/churned AS miles without flying a single mile on them, let alone crediting paid flights to the program. Leaving these people holding the bag with devalued miles won't impact their numbers much I think.
Agreed.

That said:

1. They can pretty much kiss the cash cow of mileage sales goodbye. That's pretty much moot if the increase in reimbursement rates would have turned those sales into losses.

2. This sets a bad precedent and any AS members should be rightly sceptical of maintaining loyalty to them if this can happen.
So, it's important to remember (and I believe this) that while EK drove this increase in redemptions, AS could have responded differently. For instance, give people a 30-day or 60-day notice to prepare. Sure, AS loses money on redemptions in that period, but the long-term goodwill on maintaining their integrity will pay better dividends over time than any short term losses.

Then, AS could better target miles purchases to offer it only to customers that have flown their airline over some prior period. They've done other targeted promotions, but to your point above, it would eliminate the segment that may have abused the program and would have lessened the effect of, or eliminated #2 in your post.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, you're going to ignore the clear language of the MP terms and conditions that say that partners may change the award rates without notice and at their discretion?

Or are you implying it's a lie? How exactly would you prove that? Do you plan on getting your hands on the EK/AS partnership contract?
Let me make this clear: the agreement EK and AS have is not the same agreement that AS has with MileagePlan customers.

I have had great access to contracts in these matters.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Guava
That may be what AS wrote in their TOS but frankly, that tells us nothing about the actual contract between AS and any of its partners.
How do we know those terms aren't in the AS-EK contract- "we can change your award redemption levels at any time?"

If EK insisted on it as part of the partnership, do you think AS would have objected?

The plain language says what it says (and it wasn't added yesterday, as far as I can tell). Bottom line is you can't rely on partner award levels never changing, and AS publicly represents that the partners set the mileage, not them. You can certainly assert they are lying, but then it becomes a case of "well, how do you know?"
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
You need to distinguish legal wording written by AS lawyers to protect their company vs. actual legal contract between two corporations. It's highly unlikely any contract between two airlines can be torn up without notice to each other. That may be what AS wrote in their TOS but frankly, that tells us nothing about the actual contract between AS and any of its partners. This is why when X airline devalued their FFP, we can continue to see their redemption levels remain the same with their partners at least for a little while, some quite a bit longer. Why? Because X airline's contract with Y partner doesn't expire until Z time. Until then, nothing can be done to unilaterally change the contract between X and Y.

Bingo! The language on the AS site is placed there by AS.

Again, if EK required more for their flights, the JetBlue/Qantas pricing should have changed last night too.

This is all AS's doing, perhaps under pressure, but the implementation is all them.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, as I've said elsewhere before - EK is directly selling cash tickets without having to drive yourself crazy finding availability for as little as $2,500 from CPT-JFK and about $4,500 RT. A good deal prior to the devaluation, and now definitely a superior deal than buying/transferring miles to redeem. And this fare has been around for a good while because of the rock bottom ZAR.
BKK-HKG is less than a thousand USD one way, last I checked. Easy way to get your shower in (if expensive).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
AS is bigger than just one single partner redemption. Miles, regardless of which program they are from, are always subject to sudden and unannounced devaluation, that much should be clear. There are solid values within AS Mileage Plan which continues to make this program attractive irrespective of those whose sole interest is to chase EK and CX F - nothing wrong with doing that - but let's not obliterate an entire FFP because it can no longer be gamed for certain vanity redemption.
I think some of us expect AS to do more than just what they minimally have to do based on terms and conditions. They pride themselves of being "north of expected", they can minimally give some kind of notice for large devaluations. They clearly must have known about this for enough time to make the transition last night.

In fact, while on the phone last weekend (when I was gaming the system by making my vanity F redemption ) an agent alluded to an upcoming price change for redemptions.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Don't know if just changing a date is really pulling a fast one , but I will be trying again later to see what will happen with a 1 day change, not that I expect much.
If it's more than 365 days out from ticket issue that's typically an award redeposit/reissue (with charges- AS doesn't have those, save for the $12.50/25 partner fee).
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
So, it's important to remember (and I believe this) that while EK drove this increase in redemptions, AS could have responded differently. For instance, give people a 30-day or 60-day notice to prepare. Sure, AS loses money on redemptions in that period, but the long-term goodwill on maintaining their integrity will pay better dividends over time than any short term losses.

Then, AS could better target miles purchases to offer it only to customers that have flown their airline over some prior period. They've done other targeted promotions, but to your point above, it would eliminate the segment that may have abused the program and would have lessened the effect of, or eliminated #2 in your post.
AS is an airline much smaller in scale. If they were say, losing $1,000/ticket, a sudden run on EK redemptions over one week, one month or two months could have been an absolute disaster for their finances this year. This of course, assumes that 1) EK raised reimbursement rates and 2) This took AS by surprise. If AS knew in advance that the rates were going to increase at a later date and didn't tell their members, that is a very underhanded move that undermine the credibility of their program a la Delta.

Don't get me wrong - I'm 100% livid at the devaluation happening overnight. Out of courtesy I would have even been happy with a 24 hour notice period to lock in my award. Now I've spent the entire morning trying to figure out what I can use my 100K balance on and they're not nearly as appealing as EK F.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: AS,UA
Originally Posted by flguy
how can they do this without giving notice, this is so bad
How can you be shocked, when you have 100's of points bloggers saying that Alaska Airlines program is very valuable because of the flexibility it offers aren't think bound to change? These bloggers are ruining it for the people who actually fly and earn miles the hard way
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I guess the only "upshot" is that bloggers will no longer be able to fly F either. Will teach them a lesson hawking credit cards for nothing.
Hope a lot of them go bust.
+1

Originally Posted by Calculon
Whoa! It's gonna be fun watching the bloggers have a total meltdown tomorrow, not to mention one or two FTers.

Still, though... While it's not a big surprise, it's certainly not a welcome one either.
Definitely not a shocker because the Emirates awards on AS were way too cheap compared to the competition.

Personally I hate EK so I'm quite pleased. If it drives off a few bloggers that just means more space for those of us who value AS for its competitive fares and friendly service. Good riddance to those just using AS as a path to flying EK.

I don't think AS is that concerned about loyalty of the segment this change was primarily targeted at. Many people bought/churned AS miles without flying a single mile on them, let alone crediting paid flights to the program. Leaving these people holding the bag with devalued miles won't impact their numbers much I think.

I'll be 100% honest that I haven't flown a single mile on AS, but have redeemed well over 500K miles on them to date through a combo of churning and mileage purchases. I won't buy miles from them after this change, but that's really the only effect.
This pretty much sums it up. AS could care less about the folks who don't fly AS. Nobody hears you scream in Alaska.

Last edited by Boraxo; Mar 31, 2016 at 12:04 pm
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
EK can suddenly pull the award space and refuse to sell award space, but EK can't change the award space segment compensation rates unilaterally without providing advance notice to AS. If EK wanted the price hiked, AS got notice. How much advance notice? Well maybe that advance notice period could have been revised down to a very small period of time, but surely AS lawyers wouldn't want be so negligent as to allow it to be eliminated entirely.
I mean, AS/EK could negotiate a contract requiring that EK can change the price at any time and AS can't give advance notice. Actually doing so seems like poor negotiating on the part of AS.
Seems like the more likely reason is the decision that announcing it in advance would cost more $ than lost goodwill, especially if EK can change the rate they're charging AS (in cash) with minimal notice.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Name me 5 first class products better then Emirates in terms of rockstar factor. I've flown pretty much all of then, can't seem to think of any other airline out there that matches the "fun" experience.

The onboard bar + shower is unmatched. The suites while dated are still top class.

No way to spin it, this is a huge loss for AS. CX is gonna go up in miles needed within the year, mark my word. And QF while we are at it.
Thanks for proving my point exactly. I deliberately bolded and underlined the key words in your post - you are treating a point A to point B air transport in F as a celebrity reception. EK F is obviously novel to you and that's fine. It isn't to a lot other people. What utility is there for a bar and shower if my intent is to fly from Seattle to Japan? Yet, I have seen exactly just that, Seattle based friends who flew SEA-LAX-DXB-NRT/HND. I could easily fly ANA from Seattle to Tokyo direct in 1/3 of the time it took my friends who went out their way to fly EK F to reach the same destination and in no less class. ANA F isn't exactly, you know, Air Djibouti, no offense to that country intended.

But let's talk about the "bar". My most recent onboard bar experience was a few months ago with Qatar F on board their A380, very similar bar to the one onboard EK, except with better drinks and free flowing Krug. When you can order Krug from the EK onboard bar, wake me. I have said it elsewhere on FT, I disliked the experience. I went to the bar to get out of my seat and to stretch a bit since the flight was long and to get a drink. Instead, when I got to the bar, the bartender made sure to point to the whole bar I am a F class pax and showered me all the attention while ignoring the J class patrons already sitting there. I got so embarrassed that I tried so hard to finish my drink asap so not to look impolite but just can't and ended up "fleeing" the scene before I could finish one little glass of Krug, which of course didn't escape the notice of the overly eager bartender. Maybe some people enjoy that kind of attention, I personally do not. I don't like to get noticed and want to be left alone. It was a mistake going to the bar since there is nothing there I couldn't order from the menu. As far drinks are concerned, EK doesn't have the best selection in the air by a long shot. If you happen to fly JL F a few times, Krug would taste like crap to you. It really did, to me. I was on an intense JL blitz over a 2 weeks period and was served Salon 2002 over and over during that period. After that, stepping on another airline whose F serves only Krug as their top drink - horror, it really was not comparable. So yes, while EK F may have a physical bar, as far as the drinks served and selections available, JL F will beat it by light years. Don't believe me, go to their website, look up their monthly drinks menu on long-haul F, it's all published. The list will put EK to shame.

As for the shower, unless the flight is over 16 hours and someone feels the urge to shower on a 6 hours flight like EY's AUH-LHR service, shower on board is wasted space. I'll be more than happy to forego on the shower in exchange for paying much less miles.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
AS is an airline much smaller in scale. If they were say, losing $1,000/ticket, a sudden run on EK redemptions over one week, one month or two months could have been an absolute disaster for their finances this year. This of course, assumes that 1) EK raised reimbursement rates and 2) This took AS by surprise. If AS knew in advance that the rates were going to increase at a later date and didn't tell their members, that is a very underhanded move that undermine the credibility of their program a la Delta.
I see your point. Regardless of scale, they shouldn't be naďve to the behaviors of frequent fliers. If they were, then financial pain is one way to learn your lesson, but don't take it out on your frequent fliers to save your own butt. This is where greed hurts them in reality, but not in their mind.

Further, if the segment that this affects this the most is as small as you originally indicated, then I question how disastrous a 30-day notice would have been for their financials. I'll agree with you that even 24-hour notice would have been better than NO notice whatsoever.

Again, it's not the increase itself, but rather how AS has poorly handled the situation that upsets me the most.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by pdxasflyer
Again, it's not the increase itself, but rather how AS has poorly handled the situation that upsets me the most.
Indeed. Not a great feeling waking up that my travel plans to Mauritius next month were decimated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.