Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Hainan awards bookable as of March 2016 - reward chart?

Hainan awards bookable as of March 2016 - reward chart?

Reply

Old Nov 3, 16, 6:39 am
  #46  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,470
Originally Posted by OneWorldTraveller View Post
I can see the availability of Chinese domestic award ticket for business (22.5K) and first (27.5K) both.

However, Hainan airlines only has two classes First and Economy for their domestic flights. There is no premium economy or business. (787, 330 fleet).

In this case, to book the First, do I need to book first award ticket? Then, if I do business, what seat can I get?
looking at the award calendar it's the F price. I believe only the 737s would price as business for domestic but i'm not completely sure. For some reason i thought the had a special VIP plane f & J but cannot find anything on it so not sure if it exists anymore
CDKing is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 16, 8:49 am
  #47  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Chicago
Programs: OZ LT D+, UA 1K, AS MVPG AF Gold, SPG Platinum (8 years), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
Posts: 463
Originally Posted by CDKing View Post
looking at the award calendar it's the F price. I believe only the 737s would price as business for domestic but i'm not completely sure. For some reason i thought the had a special VIP plane f & J but cannot find anything on it so not sure if it exists anymore
THX!!

As you mentioned, it seems 737 has two bookable classes, Economy (15K) and Business (22.5K). 737 has recliner seat, so it makes sense considered as Business.

However, 787 or 330 still has two classes in fleet. Same seat, and considered as Business for international flight and First for domestic flight. In Alaska's calendar, it still shows Economy (15K), Business (22.5K) and First (27.5K) for within China domestic flight. So, I'm confused.. Should I try Business, and see what seat I can get?
OneWorldTraveller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 16, 7:20 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SNA
Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Posts: 842
Has anyone been able to book using AS miles on a flight marketed by a Hainan subsidiary (e.g. Hong Kong Express HX)
ralphs is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 16, 9:42 pm
  #49  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sunny Seattle
Programs: AS MVPG 75K, HH Diamond
Posts: 539
Originally Posted by ralphs View Post
Has anyone been able to book using AS miles on a flight marketed by a Hainan subsidiary (e.g. Hong Kong Express HX)
Different airline entirely, and not an AS partner, so there is no way to use miles.

HK Express isn't really a subsidiary of Hainan itself, and I think even Hainan's parent company still only has a minority stake -- but even in the cases where a second airline is a direct subsidiary of an AS partner (e.g. Cathay Dragon f/k/a Dragonair), AS miles can't be used without an agreement specifically with that airline.
Kieron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 17, 4:46 pm
  #50  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,285
I've booked an award ticket weeks ago on Hainan and cant look up my ticket on https://www.hainanairlines.com/US/US/Bookings using my ticket number or booking reference (the Hainan one).

Any tips before I call?

We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104 - 1931)
Jesperss is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 17, 4:28 pm
  #51  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVPG, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 721
Stopover in Shanghai?

Has anyone successfully booked a SEA-PVG (stopover)- Asia award?

Shanghai is not technically a hub or focus city, but HU has plenty of routes from there. Wonder if AS agents will be picky about this.
eethan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 17, 5:23 pm
  #52  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Denver, Colorado, USA
Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Posts: 2,963
Originally Posted by Jesperss View Post
I've booked an award ticket weeks ago on Hainan and cant look up my ticket on https://www.hainanairlines.com/US/US/Bookings using my ticket number or booking reference (the Hainan one).

Any tips before I call?

We are unable to find this confirmation number. Please validate your entry and try again or contact us for further information. (8104 - 1931)
In my experience (we flew HU in March) you will NOT be able to use the Hainan website to access your reservation. It's because it's an Alaska award ticket. Just HU's policy. Seats will be assigned at the airport. Lucky for us our flights (in business class) were not full and we got just the seats we wanted. Frustrating anyway.
Kurt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 17, 10:53 pm
  #53  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: YYZ, HKG, MFM
Programs: *S(A3),OWR(AY), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, WS Silver, BA, AP
Posts: 1,756
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Has anyone successfully booked a SEA-PVG (stopover)- Asia award?

Shanghai is not technically a hub or focus city, but HU has plenty of routes from there. Wonder if AS agents will be picky about this.
Yes, however the destination must be a 1 segment connected to PVG, according to Wikipedia, your choices are : Beijing–Capital, Changsha, Chongqing, Dalian, Haikou, Hohhot, Lanzhou, Taiyuan, Tianjin, Ürümqi, Weifang, Xi'an
Jma12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 17, 1:43 pm
  #54  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Posts: 102
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
In my experience (we flew HU in March) you will NOT be able to use the Hainan website to access your reservation. It's because it's an Alaska award ticket. Just HU's policy. Seats will be assigned at the airport. Lucky for us our flights (in business class) were not full and we got just the seats we wanted. Frustrating anyway.
I was successfully able to get information from HU when I called - I flew with the wife last month SEA-PVG on a J award ticket, and I called in advance to request a vegetarian meal for my wife and to ensure we had 2 seats together. the seat issue ended up being a non-issue as the cabin was 1/2 empty. I also WAS able to use the web interface to check in for my flight using the e-ticket # information. Somewhat tedious however.

I called yesterday about an upcoming trip I have SEA-PEK-BKK because there was an oddity with my reservation in the AS system - it showed

May 17 - SEA-PEK
May 18 - PEK-BKK
May 18 - SEA-PEK (this was the anomaly)

I called AS and they seem to have fixed it on their end (ie, no longer showing the extra flight, but wanted to confirm with HU that all was good and I would have no surprises when I showed up at the airport. The agent was able to find my reservation with the HU confirmation code that I got from AS, but the anomalous flight was still there, but not showing as 'confirmed'. She did assure me that the first to flights (correct ones) were showing as confirmed.

Long story short - they CAN find your reservation if you call, but the web interface is worthless.
Rich Boykin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 17, 3:04 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: BOS
Posts: 2,106
Having gone through the booking process to ticket HU business class using my AS miles I have a few comments:

1) There is a ton of phantom award availability shown on the AS site. Silly me that I did not think that could be a possibility, but I transferred miles into my AS account and went to ticket, and only when I clicked purchase did I get an error message saying there was no availability. Lesson learned - use ExpertFlyer to confirm the real availability.

2) I cannot view my HU itinerary for the award travel on the HU site, but I also cannot view itineraries for paid travel booked by my travel agent with HU record locators. So this quirk is not related to award travel, and my guess is that you can only view itineraries booked via their website.

3) Not sure whey you are waiting for check-in at the airport to get seat assignments. I called HU and they were happy to assign seats on the award tickets via the phone. (I confirmed that the seats assigned disappeared from the seat maps on ExpertFlyer after my call as well).
BeantownFlyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 17, 9:06 pm
  #56  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 40,486
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
(I confirmed that the seats assigned disappeared from the seat maps on ExpertFlyer after my call as well).
This is a great trick and tip for multiple carriers
beckoa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 17, 1:03 am
  #57  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Programs: AA MM, AS MVPG, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 721
Originally Posted by Jma12 View Post
Yes, however the destination must be a 1 segment connected to PVG, according to Wikipedia, your choices are : Beijing–Capital, Changsha, Chongqing, Dalian, Haikou, Hohhot, Lanzhou, Taiyuan, Tianjin, Ürümqi, Weifang, Xi'an
Why is it that after stopping over in PVG, you are limited to 1 segment for your next leg?
eethan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 17, 1:26 am
  #58  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: YYZ, HKG, MFM
Programs: *S(A3),OWR(AY), Marriott Plat, AS MVP, WS Silver, BA, AP
Posts: 1,756
Originally Posted by eethan View Post
Why is it that after stopping over in PVG, you are limited to 1 segment for your next leg?
No idea, but that is how AS design their system.
Jma12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 17, 10:25 am
  #59  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CTU (Chengdu, China)/ BOS (Boston, USA)
Programs: UA 1K/1MM; SPG Lifetime Gold
Posts: 914
Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer View Post
Having gone through the booking process to ticket HU business class using my AS miles I have a few comments:

1) There is a ton of phantom award availability shown on the AS site. Silly me that I did not think that could be a possibility, but I transferred miles into my AS account and went to ticket, and only when I clicked purchase did I get an error message saying there was no availability. Lesson learned - use ExpertFlyer to confirm the real availability.

2) I cannot view my HU itinerary for the award travel on the HU site, but I also cannot view itineraries for paid travel booked by my travel agent with HU record locators. So this quirk is not related to award travel, and my guess is that you can only view itineraries booked via their website.

3) Not sure whey you are waiting for check-in at the airport to get seat assignments. I called HU and they were happy to assign seats on the award tickets via the phone. (I confirmed that the seats assigned disappeared from the seat maps on ExpertFlyer after my call as well).
Same issue here about the phantom award availability on AS's website. HU's award availability is not that great for their BOS-PEK/PVG flights in general while AS's award availability is overwhelmingly misleading.

I called HU's service desk last Friday and I was being told that HU made a change of booking class for business award ticket - it is now J class instead of the old A class. Not sure AS's website has incorporated into their system yet.

Finally, another bummer for HU's award tickets is that HU appears not to release award tickets in first class on domestic China flights far in advance, but only within about 2 months prior to departure, which makes it difficult to plan the trips including domestic China travel in advance (once within 2 months of departure, there is good chance that the international segments are no longer available)
UA vs NW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 17, 10:34 am
  #60  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: BOS/ORH
Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 17,470
Originally Posted by UA vs NW View Post
Finally, another bummer for HU's award tickets is that HU appears not to release award tickets in first class on domestic China flights far in advance, but only within about 2 months prior to departure, which makes it difficult to plan the trips including domestic China travel in advance (once within 2 months of departure, there is good chance that the international segments are no longer available)
Which is why you book J/Y now and up the short leg later.
CDKing is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: