Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

new fare display on web site: refundable vs lowest

Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:06 pm

Original Poster

Previously the web site would show all fares on the same page, but now, I'm seeing it divide lowest fares vs refundable fares with only 2 fares on each of those "pages".

I can't say that I like getting less information on one page. Maybe I will grow to like it?

-David
Attached Images  
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
agree ... "new and different" =/= "better"
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond
It may be a bug. My search still shows the "normal" layout with all fares on the same page. I just searched your route and date to double check, and it shows up correctly on my screen.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I had noticed that too a few days in Chrome. Works normally in Firefox. It's not a good change.

Must be a glitch/mistake as being unable to sort flights by price is not a feature I'd expect to lose. Hope they fix it.

Edit: Clearing cookies/cache might fix the issue.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Mar 28, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
If this is new, I very much dislike it.

Edit: Per AS Twitter Team, "this was a recent change that we're testing."

Last edited by Nurse Traveler; Mar 29, 2016 at 12:35 am Reason: Contacted AS Twitter for Response
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Looks like AS might be A/B testing this

I did a dummy search SFO-BOS 5/7-5/8 and I have the regular 4-fare interface.

As most AB testing frameworks use cookies, agree with alphaeagle, try clearing cookies and cache and retry (might have to retry these steps a few times depending on how unlucky you are)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 7:39 pm

Well the issue is back for me.

Clearing cookies and cache doesn't fix the issue.

This seems ridiculous to have removed the sort option. Now there are tons of flight options that I have to look at individually since they aren't in any particular order

Still disappointed that they removed the calendar and nearby city search from the homepage too.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:41 am

Original Poster

I normally use chrome, and I definitely have the 2 tabs there.

I just tried safari and it has the traditional single tab display (all 4 fares, single page)

So maybe it is a browser specific change?

-David
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:29 pm

This problem is back again. Makes it really difficult to quickly scan for low first class award space. Can't sort by first class price either. This is a big annoyance to me since it eats up more of my time and provides zero benefits.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
They were A/B testing this a few months back ... and apparently they want to try it again.

I thought the "old" way was a nice density of information ... not sure why it had to get even simpler.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by martonikaj
...I thought the "old" way was a nice density of information ... not sure why it had to get even simpler.
I agree. I wonder how many users won't immediately notice that they have to toggle back and forth between Lowest Fare and Refundable to get the available fares. I can't imagine what the advantage of this method of display would be other than to put less info on the screen, maybe for PEDs?
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Westcoaster
I agree. I wonder how many users won't immediately notice that they have to toggle back and forth between Lowest Fare and Refundable to get the available fares. I can't imagine what the advantage of this method of display would be other than to put less info on the screen, maybe for PEDs?
(Hand up). I could tell something was missing but couldn't figure it out at first. I had to look around and finally saw the tab at the top. I never did find the discount F so I guess there wasn't any on the route I was looking at. Count me as a on this new design.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I don't like it either. I didn't try revenue but looking for an award, Saver Y was buried in with full fare Y. Took forever to pick it out of the 30+ flight options that came up. Just put it back the way it was with Lowest Y, lowest refundable Y, Lowest F and Refundable F. If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 12:22 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by CDKing
Took forever to pick it out of the 30+ flight options that came up.
Were you not able to sort by price?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Were you not able to sort by price?
There's no way to sort by first class price. Plus it's an additional click to sort by price, one that wasn't necessary when all the low prices were in one column. I usually like to find flights by price and schedule, and now that is much more difficult since you have to look at each individual box instead of just seeing something in a column.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.