Wiki Posts
Search

'Express' security lines at SEA as MVPG

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold; AS MVP Gold
'Express' security lines at SEA as MVPG

I have TSA PreCheck so I haven't had to think about this in a long time, but next week my girlfriend and I are going on a trip and because she doesn't have PreCheck we'll be stuck in the general security lines. Per Alaska's website, apparently as an MVP Gold I can get "express" security screening ... but I haven't ever had to use that since I have Pre.

Doing a little searching I couldn't find exactly where in the airport that's available, though ... it's not something specific to Alaska, right? Is this just giving me access to the "premium screening" (or whatever that section is called) line that's right next to the standard screening area? I usually go to checkpoint 5 (or sometimes 4) at SEA since the Board Room is right there, and that "premium" line is dramatically shorter than the standard lines.

Not nearly as good as PreCheck, but if we can stick together and save some time I'd love to use the premium line.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 6:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It's just the premium line next to the standard lines. It should be shorter than the regular lines until you get up to the TSA ID check. After that you're part of the masses.

Neil
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:27 pm
mck

I would still make sure your precheck ktn is associated and go to PREM lane, you usually get a paper pass from id checker that lets you keep shoes on and go through metal detector, will have to take out laptop and small liquids though. You get to stand in line with your +1 though.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 10:39 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Are you two on the same PNR? If so, she might wind up with Pre on her boarding pass. I can only speak of one case of traveling with a KTN-less companion, but she got Pre on her BPs like me, and I've heard others here on FT say that their fellow travelers seem to get Pre at a greater rate than they would through random selection.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:12 pm

I traveled a couple of weeks ago with my daughter on the same PNR and I was surprised that she came out as precheck too. I am pretty new to precheck and it was my first time traveling with someone else.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jinglish
Are you two on the same PNR? If so, she might wind up with Pre on her boarding pass. I can only speak of one case of traveling with a KTN-less companion, but she got Pre on her BPs like me, and I've heard others here on FT say that their fellow travelers seem to get Pre at a greater rate than they would through random selection.
This mirrors my experience as well.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS - MVP75k, Marriott - Titanium, Hertz - PC
Originally Posted by wwongo
I traveled a couple of weeks ago with my daughter on the same PNR and I was surprised that she came out as precheck too. I am pretty new to precheck and it was my first time traveling with someone else.
How old? I believe that a child 12 or younger can enter the Pre lane with a Pre check parent (this should be regardless of whether or not Pre is designated on the minor's BP).
Old Mar 19, 2016, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler
How old? I believe that a child 12 or younger can enter the Pre lane with a Pre check parent (this should be regardless of whether or not Pre is designated on the minor's BP).
Sorry I should have specified adult daughter(She is 18) and she got precheck with me. Of course, she insisted on wearing ridiculous shoes that set off the metal detector and she way overpacks, so traveling with her is not always faster than with a little kid. Your mileage will vary with your teen on that one. I love mine but she is not a speedy traveler.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by wwongo
Originally Posted by beckoa
This mirrors my experience as well.
I've had the same experience... but have also had the experience where I got Pre and a Pre-qualified companion didn't, and where I didn't and a non-Pre companion did. I've also seem a party of 2 non-pre pax where one gets pre, and the other doesn't.

So I wouldn't count on it, but it's possible.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missamo80
It's just the premium line next to the standard lines. It should be shorter than the regular lines until you get up to the TSA ID check. After that you're part of the masses.

Neil
That's what I was hoping for! Thanks. I always notice the "premium" line is dramatically shorter. You at least get to go straight up to the ID check podium, even if you still have to wait 5-10 min in the security line thereafter. Any time savings is a bonus.

Originally Posted by mck
I would still make sure your precheck ktn is associated and go to PREM lane, you usually get a paper pass from id checker that lets you keep shoes on and go through metal detector, will have to take out laptop and small liquids though. You get to stand in line with your +1 though.
Okay, that's a good tip. I do have my KTN in the reservation (figured I might as well), so I'll have the PreCheck logo ... will see if they offer up the little paper. I've had TSA do this at Newark in the areas where there aren't any separate "PreCheck" lines ... PreCheck folks just go into the "premium" lane and get a piece of paper letting them keep jackets and shoes on.

Yeah, same PNR. Hopefully this is the case ... would save a lot of hassle, and based on the few responses here it sounds like there's at least an increased chance that she gets Pre also.

We traveled together (on AA) this time last year on the same PNR and she didn't get Pre — hopefully this time!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: MVP Gold
Adding another data point, both husband and I were on same PNR last weekend and I have Pre but he doesn't. He was given Pre for the first time.

Also, both of us getting Pre really saved us. Saturday, arrived at SEA at 7am and the regular TSA line looked to be ~1 hr wait (seriously). The line that dumps into the N gate entry escalator stretched all the way to checkpoint 3.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by martonikaj
I have TSA PreCheck ...
Just to update everyone, at checkin Alaska gave myself and girlfriend PreCheck (again, same PNR), so that made the whole experience easier.

For whatever reason we weren't able to get full boarding passes with OLCI and had to stop in at a kiosk to scan our passports (even though our passport numbers were already on the reservation), but after that we still had Pre and went through that line just fine.

And for an additional point, SEA had the security checkpoints set up differently on Thursday (~6 a.m.) than I had seen before. Checkpoint 5 was general security only (no Pre line), and looked massively long even with the increased width, while Checkpoint 4 was two lines of PreCheck only with no general screening available.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: AS G75K
I have a related question: My wife and I will be flying WN out of SEA next week. Can I use my AS G75K status to use the express lane even if I'm not using them?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.