Search

Stand By or Same Day Confirm on BA Award

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPGold75K, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Pan Am million-miler
Stand By or Same Day Confirm on BA Award

I remember going same day standby to an earlier flight on some old BA awards on AS meta,l and I was hoping I could do that tomorrow. But the agent told me that they stopped doing that "a couple months ago" and that I'm stuck with the BA mileage flight I booked on AS metal.

Is that actually the case, or if I show up the airport will they put me on an earlier flight if there is space?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:34 am

You should be able to do SDC fine online. I just did this.

Lots of bad information with Alaska's res agents. I blame it on poor training.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by United757
You should be able to do SDC fine online. I just did this.

Lots of bad information with Alaska's res agents. I blame it on poor training.
Are you saying this from experience, or you just think so? Because when you try to make online changes at Alaska's site through a BA award you get this message: "This reservation is not eligible for online changes. Please call reservations at 1-888-345-3640."

Do I need to wait for the SDC window to open at 10pm tonight?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
I've done SDC online for AA marketed/AS metal and BA award flights. For both when I call I've been told about 2/3 of the time that I can't do so.

When I can't do OLCI I simply HUCA and the second agent usually does it just fine.

One time recently an agent told me the website "bends the rules" and I shouldn't be able to SDC an AA marketed flight...

SDC eligibility only lists AS operated as a requirement: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...t-changes.aspx
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's a shame cause there is award availability right now on an earlier flight I want tomorrow. Is there anyway to get a SDC on that flight now or I have to wait till 10pm tonight?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
SDC used to be ok on BA award flights.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...rd-ticket.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25581676-post55.html
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

So basically wait till online check in open (unfortunately not until 6pm tonight) and if it doesn't work, call them until I get an agent who knows what She/He is doing.

Originally Posted by Edgerfly
Are you saying this from experience, or you just think so? Because when you try to make online changes at Alaska's site through a BA award you get this message: "This reservation is not eligible for online changes. Please call reservations at 1-888-345-3640."

Do I need to wait for the SDC window to open at 10pm tonight?
From experience. You need to wait for the SDC window to open at 10PM. I just did SDC on an Avios ticket a couple weeks ago.

SDC (flight change) is not the same as changing your ticket. You can't change the ticket through Alaska because BA controls it.

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
It's a shame cause there is award availability right now on an earlier flight I want tomorrow. Is there anyway to get a SDC on that flight now or I have to wait till 10pm tonight?
Even over the phone you shouldn't be able to do it before 10pm anyways right?

Before 10pm should be a change, not an SDC. For that you'd have to do it through BA (not free).
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You could call BA and ask them to change the award ticket, assuming that there's award inventory for the flight you want that's available to BA. However, this is likely to incur BA fees.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Hopefully online check in opening up at 6:50 will let me take an earlier flight. Otherwise I'll wait till 10pm and get a SDC
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Used to be?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Used to be?
You stated that you were told recently that it couldn't be done anymore on avios redemptions. SDC "used to be ok". If there was a change it happened very recently. If you were trying to change a ticket now, the agent was correct, you can't change the avios redemption now with AS (you could call BA I guess). In any event, if you want to SDC you need to wait to the SDC window opens tonight.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
You stated that you were told recently that it couldn't be done anymore on avios redemptions. SDC "used to be ok". If there was a change it happened very recently. If you were trying to change a ticket now, the agent was correct, you can't change the avios redemption now with AS (you could call BA I guess). In any event, if you want to SDC you need to wait to the SDC window opens tonight.
Oh sorry I should have been more specific. She said I couldn't even do SDC because it was issued through BA. Then I said I've done this many times before on BA awards and she said it's a new rule they implemented "a few months ago."
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by Quail
I've done SDC online for AA marketed/AS metal and BA award flights. For both when I call I've been told about 2/3 of the time that I can't do so.

When I can't do OLCI I simply HUCA and the second agent usually does it just fine.

One time recently an agent told me the website "bends the rules" and I shouldn't be able to SDC an AA marketed flight...

SDC eligibility only lists AS operated as a requirement: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...t-changes.aspx
I think this might be the case with the website 'bending the rules'. Which I'm OK with

But yes, one would need to wait until 10 PM (departure city timezone of the physical flight you want to change, not the first flight in a sequence). Or in this case call BA to reticket for whatever fees they charge if saver award space is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.