Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What's the pattern of U space of SEA-JFK/EWR routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P

So it turns out I'll have meetings at NYC on both April and May.

For April, I can see that SEA-JFK and JFK-SEA has U spaces open around my dates, and EWR is not open for U, so I booked JFK both ways with GGUs.

For May, I can see that SEA-EWR has U spaces open around my dates, but SEA-JFK or either return doesn't have anything, so I booked SEA-EWR with gold upgrade fare (ran out of GGUs) and JFK-SEA back (not gonna hold my breath for upgrading on this).

Is there any general pattern on SEA-JFK/EWR routes? When booking April trip I thought people prefer SEA-EWR because of SEA-JFK is a red eye (even with upgrade, a non-lie-flat FC is not gonna help a lot in a red eye), that's why U is available on JFK routes. But then booking May trip denied my previous speculation (not gonna complain here).
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by fishywang
So it turns out I'll have meetings at NYC on both April and May.

For April, I can see that SEA-JFK and JFK-SEA has U spaces open around my dates, and EWR is not open for U, so I booked JFK both ways with GGUs.

For May, I can see that SEA-EWR has U spaces open around my dates, but SEA-JFK or either return doesn't have anything, so I booked SEA-EWR with gold upgrade fare (ran out of GGUs) and JFK-SEA back (not gonna hold my breath for upgrading on this).

Is there any general pattern on SEA-JFK/EWR routes? When booking April trip I thought people prefer SEA-EWR because of SEA-JFK is a red eye (even with upgrade, a non-lie-flat FC is not gonna help a lot in a red eye), that's why U is available on JFK routes. But then booking May trip denied my previous speculation (not gonna complain here).
EWR is a premium heavy market for Alaska. It's been their NYC airport since they started service in 2002, so there's a history at EWR. Additionally, the flights are timed for business travelers so EWR commands a higher fare over JFK.

JFK is an outbound red-eye and an early 7AM departure, which I can't imagine is especially popular with business travelers, except maybe Monday AMs. I'm assuming this is why there's plentiful U space to JFK vs. EWR, which is an insanely tough upgrade, even for instant upgrade coach fares.

Of course, the U pattern for May doesn't make sense, but revenue/inventory management is a complex subject I'm not qualified to speak about.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS: MVPG, Hyatt: P, SPG: G, Marriott: G, IHG: P
Originally Posted by United757
EWR is a premium heavy market for Alaska. It's been their NYC airport since they started service in 2002, so there's a history at EWR. Additionally, the flights are timed for business travelers so EWR commands a higher fare over JFK.

JFK is an outbound red-eye and an early 7AM departure, which I can't imagine is especially popular with business travelers, except maybe Monday AMs. I'm assuming this is why there's plentiful U space to JFK vs. EWR, which is an insanely tough upgrade, even for instant upgrade coach fares.

Of course, the U pattern for May doesn't make sense, but revenue/inventory management is a complex subject I'm not qualified to speak about.
Actually I also need to connect to/from SJC/SFO, so I never saw the better timed SEA-EWR/EWR-SEA one in my search (no way to connect). That one do make a lot more sense than the connection friendly EWR flights.

Guess I'll just call my May SEA-EWR luck and move on with my life Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the basic pattern i have seen:

far in advance, JFK is routinely available for U

far in advance, EWR is rarely available for U

however, EWR often opens up 45-60 days in advance if the cabin is not heavily sold (ie, if the cabin is less than 50% booked). JFK often shuts U down by this point because people have claimed upgrades into the long-available U space.

so, if booking far in advance, JFK is more of the sUre thing. if you are looking less than a couple of months in advance, i feel like it is more of a crapshoot.

and FWIW i think your chances on JFK-SEA are not that bad. i would say 50% or better that you get the complimentary upgrade, depending on the day of travel.

YMMV.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
lol... the pattern for me at EWR:

If there isn't a GGU available I end up on the waitlist and drop to about #15 or 20 out of 40 or 50.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
My pattern for EWR (or anything over 4 hours from the west coast): If there isn't U space, I don't go

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.