Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Files Application to Fly Los Angeles-Havana, Cuba

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy

News release, hot off the press:

SEATTLE — Alaska Airlines today filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation seeking approval to fly two daily nonstop flights from its Latin America gateway of Los Angeles to Havana, Cuba. The Los Angeles metro area has the largest Cuban-American population in the Western United States.

“Together with our 14 global partner airlines, Alaska Airlines offers more than 110 nonstop destinations from Los Angeles. As the largest West Coast-based airline, we’re well positioned to offer our customers convenient access to one of the Caribbean’s most popular destinations,” said John Kirby, Alaska Airlines vice president of capacity planning.

Citing Alaska's expansive West Coast route structure and low fares, Kirby said Alaska is excited for the opportunity to offer commercial service from the United States to Havana for the first time in over 50 years. With nearly three decades of international service from Los Angeles, Alaska Airlines offers nonstop service to nine destinations in Latin America with the most peak season flights from Los Angeles to popular Mexican resort destinations including Mazatlán, Cabo San Lucas and Puerto Vallarta.

Alaska Airlines’ two daytime flights will be attractive to local Los Angeles business, leisure and Cuban American customers, and provide convenient connecting options for fliers traveling to and from large West Coast cities like Anchorage, Alaska, Portland, Oregon and Seattle.

In its application, Alaska is seeking to operate two daily nonstop flights to Havana using a Boeing 737-900ER, which carries 181 passengers in a two-class configuration. Onboard, customers will enjoy Alaska’s award-winning service, along with features to help make the most of their flight – for work or pleasure. Alaska Beyond Entertainment offers free and premium entertainment direct to customer devices. Other onboard amenities include a selection of food and beverage inspired by local flavors, custom leather seats with adjustable headrests, and power outlets for laptops and personal devices at every seat.

The DOT is expected to award the available route authorities before the end of summer.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Wow! This would be awesome.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:04 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Incredible!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I think we still need to remember that Cuba, unlike other Caribbean destinations for US Passport holders, is not "open" in the sense that you need to "qualify" in order to be approved to fly there. I was hoping for LAX-SJU first
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think we still need to remember that Cuba, unlike other Caribbean destinations for US Passport holders, is not "open" in the sense that you need to "qualify" in order to be approved to fly there. I was hoping for LAX-SJU first
On what aircraft do you propose an LAX/SJU?

More importantly, on the HAV route, will F passengers be offered up to 3 entrees? Will they have to eat all three? Will the snack basket be provided in a timely manner (if at all)? Will it be inappropriate and or a violation of local law to drink Cuba Libres in Cuban airspace?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
NICE! That would be a great route.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I was hoping for LAX-SJU first
Along with an Alaska Airlines aircraft carrier stationed in the Gulf of Mexico to make sure their planes don't run out of fuel on the way?

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Will it be inappropriate and or a violation of local law to drink Cuba Libres in Cuban airspace?
Which country's rum is being used for the Cuba Libres?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Double daily?! Crazy!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Thats quite an odd route for AS. Although it is shorter than many routes AS has. I want to be on the inaugural. although not sure how Cuba feel about mileage runners.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:09 pm

Nice. I would love to go, I just don't qualify under any of the current rules. Crap.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just dont see how AS is going to fill enough seats to make a profit without tourism allowed.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDKing
I just dont see how AS is going to fill enough seats to make a profit without tourism allowed.
From the press release:

"The Los Angeles metro area has the largest Cuban-American population in the Western United States."

They know the route will be popular.

Last edited by flyupfrnt; Mar 2, 2016 at 6:45 pm
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Alaska Lounge, HHonors Silver, Bonvoy Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by beckoa
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.858 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Double daily?! Crazy!
I have to assume they are really hoping just for one of the slots, and maybe they have a better chance if they ask for two.

They're still the only daily non-stop from the west coast, so there very well may be enough traffic to fill the planes.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Originally Posted by CDKing
Thats quite an odd route for AS. Although it is shorter than many routes AS has. I want to be on the inaugural. although not sure how Cuba feel about mileage runners.
I might be up for it too...but to qualify for the flight...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Junkie
From the press release:

"The Los Angeles metro area has the largest Cuban-American population in the Western United States."

They know the route will be popular.
Most of them were likely eligible to go home to Cuba back before things were loosened up. American has been doing charter from MIA for years. If it was that popular surely Alaska could have freed up 1 plane years ago to do similar from LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.